5 foot LPS Reef tank + nano

May&Bruce

• SRC Member

bro..solid DIYs and ur cabinet is so nicely arranged....btw, how"s ur CL450 doing...any feedback fm u, cos i intend to get one second-hand for my 3ft tank.... now using fan and water temp abt 27-28...when fan not running temp is below 30....and ur nano looks good....how long aldy? ane and fish...

Henry Tan

Sembawang

3x1.5x1.5 2.5x1x1.5

LS

1xfire clown/ 1xyellow boxer

1xpercular/ 1xcoral beauty

1xboxer/ 2xfire shrimps

1xcoral beauty/ 2xfalse clowns

2xhawk fish/ 1xane crab

1xyellow tail damsel/ 2xcleaners

3xturbo snails

2xhermits

1xtomato clown

Set up.....

Sump - Done

DIY Cabinet - Done

DIY Overflow Pipe - Done

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Hey skipper. Well, the CL450 is a little small for my 5 foot tank, but it will hold the temp at 27 for me. I think that it should be OK for a 3 foot tank. Apart from that I am very happy with it :) It is quite quiet and does not make 'clunking' sound when it turns off, like the CL 650 does.

Overall, i think that they are very good value for money

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

• SRC Member

just a suggestion, for ur stand, u could use planks to cover it up, buy a few pieces of magnets, paste it at the back of the planks, den attach it to ur WI stand. ;) and well taken pics on the ###### shrimp.

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

that's wat i did to my 3ft metal frame...but a bit more work...drilling and "screwing" and with e help of cable ties...managed to diy and turn it into a cabinet...

thx for the feedback on cl450....love ur nano simple and nice...i'm running in my 2.5 (althou aldy got stock but tend to die when add new ones)...love ur ###### too..i might remove my hawkfish so that i can keep more shrimps....

cheers.

Henry Tan

Sembawang

3x1.5x1.5 2.5x1x1.5

LS

1xboxer/ 2xfire shrimps

2xhawk fish/ 1xane crab

3xturbo snails

2xhermits

1xtomato clown

Set up.....

Sump - Done

DIY Cabinet - Done

DIY Overflow Pipe - Done

• SRC Member

small view of my cabinet with e hole for return flow and also hindges for the door...

post-34-1133775499.jpg

Henry Tan

Sembawang

3x1.5x1.5 2.5x1x1.5

LS

1xboxer/ 2xfire shrimps

2xhawk fish/ 1xane crab

3xturbo snails

2xhermits

1xtomato clown

Set up.....

Sump - Done

DIY Cabinet - Done

DIY Overflow Pipe - Done

• SRC Member

nice looking 5ft and cute nano May&Bruce...

:off: slightly but to May&Bruce and the rest of the guys using WI stand... do u guys experience any rusting as I'm already having some rust... how do u guys combat the rust?

“Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• SRC Member

dkk08...on my first tank (3 ft) I had no prior experience. I did not look after my WI stand and after 1 year it had quite a bit of rust - only surface rust, mind you, nothing affecting structural strength.

So when I designed my 5 foot tank I said that I would have a stainless steel stand built, until I found out the price (5 times more than a WI stand). So, I proceeded with a WI stand dbut I coated it with 3 extra layers of good enamel paint, and made especially sure that structural areas, i.e. welds, were coated well with the 3 layers of paint. I also make sure that any seawater spilt on the stand is wiped off there and then.

Hope this helps.

• SRC Member
dkk08...on my first tank (3 ft) I had no prior experience. I did not look after my WI stand and after 1 year it had quite a bit of rust - only surface rust, mind you, nothing affecting structural strength.

So when I designed my 5 foot tank I said that I would have a stainless steel stand built, until I found out the price (5 times more than a WI stand). So, I proceeded with a WI stand dbut I coated it with 3 extra layers of good enamel paint, and made especially sure that structural areas, i.e. welds, were coated well with the 3 layers of paint. I also make sure that any seawater spilt on the stand is wiped off there and then.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

Hey May&Bruce, :thanks: for the insights B)

Yap have been checking out prices on the SS stand and yes :shock: its as good as investing in a good skimmer for that kinda prices... maybe I shld do wat u do too... hmmm Enamel Paint shall go look up on the paint after work...

Stand down... just a tank to go :upsidedown:

:thanks: bro er sis er :paiseh::eyebrow:

“Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Have finally more or less finished every thing now. Here is the completed setup. Note that the wooden cabinet for the main tank was DIY'd by me :)

post-34-1137824135.jpg