want to know how to DIY overflow box or pipe

laona

• SRC Member

Hi guys, jus askin if anyone here hav DIY a overflow box or pipe before? hav a 3ft tank at home and thinkin of converting it to a marine tank wif sump..but no holes were drilled into the tank..so thinking of putting in a overflow box or pipe to sump..any bros here got any similar experience? dun wanna go and get expert to build for me..ask bio-ocean..it costs abt $100 plus..still a bit tight wif budget...thanks in advance

I have currently done a conversion of "JEBO" fountain filter to suck out mechanically water into my overflow box and down thru diy pipings to sump, supplemented with a "U' pipe from Planted tank store at thomson , next to THE NATURE AQUARIUM also a planted tank store, opposite thomson medical centre.$8 and $2 for the smaller one.As your main problem will be adjusting the flow from sumop to tank :very trickly!, my thread = http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41578

you may wanna consider buying 2 "U" pipes for added flow, they come with ball valve.

vipersig.jpg

• SRC Member

thanks bros!! :bow: but i still got a few more ques...

bro keithtanbb: hrm..read thru your thread before and considered e same idea..but was wondering wat will happen if e hang on p/p flowrate to low?? also i think i read somewhere in the forum, there might be possility of break down of p/p cos of wearing down of mechanical parts..

bro dominik: thanks for e pic..if nt wrong e pipe frm main tank is the dorsol pipe right?? was thinkin of that too..but jus askin..my tank does nt hav a Internal Overflow Sump (IOS) like your pic..e partition in e pic make me think of it..anyway wat is that partition in e main tank in your pic for??

no problem dude, just my input-already using this concept, need to work out the kinks still-I wanted more control of flow rate thats why I use the in-built pump from Jebo-intent to use this tank- more for planted sea grasses refugia.the gravity siphon incorporated in the system is erratic at most- dont really like it- so only as a back up I kept it (already built it in anyway!) can use smaller siphon with valves to control rate of flow

post-9-1135674979.jpg

vipersig.jpg

thanks guys..

bro helldust: jus asking..all e pipes there are normal pipes..no special venturi pipe or anything right?

yes.. all the piping are bought from those hardware shops.. no pumps/ venturi things needed.. just the initial ###### of the air from the pipe to kick start it. this design is very good as should the return pump be cut off the overflow will also stop. the flow will continue automatically once the return pump is back running.

too bad i am still looking for a new tank, else will sell you my overflow pipe. :lol:

• SRC Member

Ok lets say I'm using this overflow pipe for a bottom tier tank to an external sump... will it work?

“Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

attached is the design of the overflow pipe (picture taken from a post by rockfish).

I had done one myself and it is very easy to DIY. estimated cost to be ard $30.

i did an exactly same overflow box but when i off my return pump and on it again the siphon doesn't auto restart leh...anyone have the same prob as me??

• SRC Member

I'm equally afraid that it wouldn't autostart...

“Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

i did an exactly same overflow box but when i off my return pump and on it again the siphon doesn't auto restart leh...anyone have the same prob as me??

i had encountered the problem of not able to auto start, but previous threads of posts, users had solved the solution by leaving the end open (the part whereby you suck in the air from the pipe) after the overflow has been running.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Eh .. i m sry .. mind explaining the part

i had encountered the problem of not able to auto start, but previous threads of posts, users had solved the solution by leaving the end open (the part whereby you suck in the air from the pipe) after the overflow has been running.

Thanks!