Jervis' Reefing Renaissance

jervismun

• SRC Member

Im using a 2X 150W MH using reeflux bulbs. The effect is not too bad without T5 supplements.

The sides are not properly covered by the MH though but I made sure that there is enough flow for the sea fans that I put in the shaded parts.

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

do consider going for 6 tubes T5 with mixture of 2x aquablue special, 2x blue plus, 1x pro color and 1x true actinic.

I am using that now and i think the effect is nice :rolleyes:

4x1.5x2.3 home tank

6x2x2.3 office tank

I have finally confirmed on my lighting fixture... will update you guys very very soon :D

:thanks: for all the precious suggestions :thanks:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Since the tank water is ready... I am now preparing for the introduction of algae/detritus busters :eyebrow:

Here's an interesting link... DETRITUS BUSTERS... will try to follow their recommended species + quantity.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di....cfm?pCatId=532

Here's ALGAE BUSTERS

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di....cfm?pCatId=494

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

cant wait to see the lightings u hv in mind... i'm also looking to reduce my lightings consumption

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
Since the tank water is ready... I am now preparing for the introduction of algae/detritus busters :eyebrow:

Here's an interesting link... DETRITUS BUSTERS... will try to follow their recommended species + quantity.

Here's ALGAE BUSTERS

I've got the Tigertail cucumber. You won't see this creature often. It will stay hidden in the rock crevice and only it's head will stretch out toward the sandbed after lights off.

I've got the Tigertail cucumber. You won't see this creature often. It will stay hidden in the rock crevice and only it's head will stretch out toward the sandbed after lights off.

Fascinating... I suppose they are not that common as I have not seen them around <_<

• SRC Member

Used to have a tigertail. Very hardworking. Only problem with mine is that it is really long and it is constantly re-arranging my sandbed. If u intend to have corals on the sandbed, have to be careful. Cos the tigertail will bury it. :eyeblur:

Member of:

n34281892381_7606.jpg

Used to have a tigertail. Very hardworking. Only problem with mine is that it is really long and it is constantly re-arranging my sandbed. If u intend to have corals on the sandbed, have to be careful. Cos the tigertail will bury it. :eyeblur:

• SRC Member
Heard that the black sea cub will climb up the wall and may get sucked by the pump. so got a tiger tail instead. It self procreate into 3 now! very hardworking fellows. so far they are ok with the corals at the sand bed.

Member of:

n34281892381_7606.jpg

• SRC Member

Very interesting topic jervis the Sea Cuke.

I believed vry much in them all along since day 1 when i started reefing n also been witnessing their task in the ocean cleaning up the sandbed very very hardworking they are.

I've got 3 of them in my tank 2 blacks n 1 red & black but if its ok with u the red & black will be working on the rocks,the sandbed n sometimes on the glass.

But not for the black most of the time on the sandbed n once in a while on the glass.

When newly introduce into the tank they will roam all over to get themselves fimiliar with but later on like they know where they are suppose to be, well i guess tt's wat i been observing.

Nevertheless to me they are 1 of the best in cleaning up ! Hope it helps. :peace:

• SRC Member

My past experience with sea cuke is tat dun get too small size fellow and it can be easily be sucked into the wavemaker and got minced up. And when that happens, hell gonna break loose. :eyeblur: It happens to my baby cuke abt 2 inches small when it got sucked into the pump. The minced body parts got dispersed into the tank and practically all my fishes thought its feeding time and ate it. Within 2 hrs, the toxic of the minced sea cuke killed 60% of my abt 30 plus fishes (big n small) died. After 6-7 hrs later, 90% died. All corals behavior are extremely weird and I changed at least 50% of the water and throws in alot of cabon :sick:

So moral of the sea cuke story is try get a slightly larger sea cukes like at least 4 inches long type to prevent some mishap ya.. :rolleyes: Boy after reading thru my comments, sounds abit scary?? :unsure:

Jervis, this time round, wat sort of fishes u thinking to add in ? school of Anthias :idea: or chromis again ?

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

Here's ALGAE BUSTERS

Hi there guys,,

Ayone know where to get a sea cumb or hurmit crab or any one stop farm that sell alot of these stuff? :upsidedown::upsidedown:

Thk you :thanks::thanks:

• SRC Member
Hi there guys,,

Ayone know where to get a sea cumb or hurmit crab or any one stop farm that sell alot of these stuff? :upsidedown::upsidedown:

Thk you :thanks::thanks:

Try coral farm, they got hermit crabs to sea cukes to sand dollars to sand shifters too :rolleyes:

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

big also dun show lah :paiseh::eyebrow:

Agree... I think SOUL is too showy :eyebrow:

• SRC Member
Agree... I think SOUL is too showy :eyebrow:

agreed... look at his avatar.. always steal the attention away. hahaha

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Revealing my light fixture :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

090101.jpg

Actually it is my old 2ft x 4 tubes ATI Powermodule :paiseh:

I am quite surprised by the brightness a 2ft fixture can offer... to minimize dark areas, I lifted up the left side to achieve a wider coverage... I then tilted it slightly facing to the front to focus the light to the front portion of the tank... the effect is quite dramatic actually with more shaded crevices to add a sense of 3D to the rockscape.

090102.jpg

Will settle for this... for the time being :)

By using this light fixture, I manage to bring down my power consumption from 136 kW (10 tubes/4ft) to 29 kW (4 tubes/2ft) per month... that's more than 3/4 reduction :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

The next challenge is of course depends on how corals such as LPS and softies react to the lighting. Will be able to find out pretty soon :)

I hope I didn't disappoint you guys too much :cry:

Time to feature some snails... transfered over from my Sump 2 :eyebrow:

090103.jpg

090104.jpg

• SRC Member
I am quite surprised by the brightness a 2ft fixture can offer... to minimize dark areas, I lifted up the left side to achieve a wider coverage... I then tilted it slightly facing to the front to focus the light to the front portion of the tank... the effect is quite dramatic actually with more shaded crevices to add a sense of 3D to the rockscape.

090102.jpg

Will settle for this... for the time being :)

By using this light fixture, I manage to bring down my power consumption from 136 kW (10 tubes/4ft) to 29 kW (4 tubes/2ft) per month... that's more than 3/4 reduction :eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow:

The next challenge is of course depends on how corals such as LPS and softies react to the lighting. Will be able to find out pretty soon :)

I hope I didn't disappoint you guys too much :cry:

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata