what tool to use to break hammer / frogspawn coral?

markietan

• SRC Member

i'm thinking of breaking up my 8 headed hammer coral coz its quite crowded as it is now.... read that u can use a dremel to saw it off but i dun think i'm gonna invest in one yet.

does anyone have any other way to break the branches w/o using brute force? will those normal pliers from hardware shop work?

also can i do this dry? as in out of water. don't wanna cut off my finger accidentally. haha

i'm think the coral will puke mucus if i take it out of the water so i should probably rinse it first after cutting b4 putting back into main tank right?

• 5 months later...
  • SRC Member
Just use a chisel and a hammer. It is ok to take the coral out of the water for a few minutes. Did that before to chisel off the dead part.

thanks for the recomendation, i did just that. actually since my last posting, i've done it many times.

coral skeletons are much more fragile than i've exected. actually all live rocks are quite brittle. just a light knock with the chisel and it'll break apart.

so definitely no need for dremel... cause the cheapest dremel will set you back a few hundred $$. only useful thing i can think of for a dremel, in terms of fragging is to cut up a plate coral. i dun think they can survive a chisel / hammer action.

[OT] anyone tried fragging a plate with chisel / hammer b4?