Marine planted tank

hermitcrab

• SRC Member

Hi All, just like to find out if there is anyone into Marine planted tank here? I now have Red Marcoalgae, (used to have caulerpa, until my sally lightfoot eat destroy all of it) and today, i added Chaeto in the tank (thanks to the a fellow member here)

Dun know why, I cannot stand the tentecles of anemones, those spots on Mushrooms etc and so here I am, into Marine plants, can anyone share their experince how to multiply the plants, so far my Red marcoalgae does it naturally, but i would like to plant it at rock i like instead. Any knowledge to share?

• SRC Member
Hi All, just like to find out if there is anyone into Marine planted tank here? I now have Red Marcoalgae, (used to have caulerpa, until my sally lightfoot eat destroy all of it) and today, i added Chaeto in the tank (thanks to the a fellow member here)

Dun know why, I cannot stand the tentecles of anemones, those spots on Mushrooms etc and so here I am, into Marine plants, can anyone share their experince how to multiply the plants, so far my Red marcoalgae does it naturally, but i would like to plant it at rock i like instead. Any knowledge to share?

hmm.. nice meh? Growing cheatos in main tank?!.. Whats red microalgae? Is it red bamboo algae?

Dunno about Caulerpa algae. Isn't it risky? One day water not right, it goes asexual and wipes out LSs.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

actually i also thinking of asking something similar, any kinds of marcoalgae that can be planted in main display for the seaweed natural look but yet wont go asexual, chaeto is out of the question coz will look weird to have a ball tumbling and floating all around in the main tank, have tried turtle weed but overnight it just turn white, then i pull out all the white hair and now only left 1 small green tuff and hoping it will grow back again, any recommendations? anyway my tank is a mix reef without sps

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

• SRC Member

Anyone tried mangrove? looks abit funny right? unless the whole tank planted with it? so far anyone come across any shop that sells marine plants beside selling them as food? i know of LFS that sell turtle weed, red bamboo, red grapes, green grapes, caulerpa.

Any good website to share on marine plant, so far have not found any except those very complicated scientific website that talk about plants cells etc.

• SRC Member

Hi, here is a pic of my leafy red marcoalgae, any one knows what is this?

It has become the center piece of the tank, beside the coraline algae on the LR. The only livestock in the tanks, is a chomis, 1 sally lightfoot, 2 electric blue hermit crab, 2 Super Tongan Nassarius Snail. just to share

• SRC Member

Hi All,

Based on my tank, a standard, off the shelve 2 feet tank, I am think of investing in a better light, those T5 types, which do you all recommend, I understand there is different colour etc, which is the best for a marine planted tank? any help?

• SRC Member

just to ask, do you fertilize your plant, funny right, people trying to get rid of nitrates and i am here asking people whether they fertilise their plants with them

Are there other type of fertilizer in the market?

• 1 month later...
Me went to Henry ML yestersday, came to know 2 other kind of marcoalgae, Galaxaura SP and the other one forget the name liao. This is a real beauty, purple spikey plant. too bad, exceeded my fish budget this month liao.

You never buy? Haha.. Normally, Red/Purple Macro is more easier to keep than Green ones...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member
This is a real beauty, purple spikey plant. too bad, exceeded my fish budget this month liao.

WOW.. side track.... good to have fish budget :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
hello there,

it's wonderful to see others into marine planted tanks. that red macro you have could possibly be halymenia.

hi, do you know much about them, so far my hermit crab tend to leave them alone but every few months the whole bunch just turn translucent and die off, then it grow out from the rock again. any explaination for this?

• 2 weeks later...
hi, do you know much about them, so far my hermit crab tend to leave them alone but every few months the whole bunch just turn translucent and die off, then it grow out from the rock again. any explaination for this?

hello,

i've been a huge macroalgae enthusiast since i started my first SW aquarium. my wife and i bought a 10g setup and the store was selling botryocladia red grape algae. we bought some and ever since then, i've been hooked! its gone as far as starting up a forum for macroalgae enthusiasts like myself. you guys over there are very lucky to be able to see the reefs first hand.

Coming soon.. Invasion of the Marine Planted Tanks

Red grape is scary. It will stick to any surface and grow, haha.

haha you got some good stuff then! i can't get mines to stick on any surface :P you got any recent pix ah lim?

Coming soon.. Invasion of the Marine Planted Tanks