Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

SantaMonica

• SRC Member

Builds Of The Day:

This one is from "Sandztorm" on the RP site; it is a version of the nano that I listed on page 1, where a simple screen replaces the foam filter in the hood, and a light is added on top:

UserSandztormOnRP-1.jpg

This one from "Coopattack" on the FG site wraps the PVC around the bottom of the screen to hold it in place:

UserCoopattackOnFG-4.jpg

UserCoopattackOnFG-5.jpg

Here is a trough version by "framerguy" on the CR site (the lights have since been lowered closer to the trough):

UserFramerguyOnCR-3.jpg

UserFramerguyOnCR-2.jpg

UserFramerguyOnCR-1.jpg

This one from "Labman" on the MD site wanted a taller one in a more narrow size, so he attached two plastic canvas screens together:

UserLabmanOnMD-2.jpg

"Johntanjm" from the MD site placed screens on both sides of the bulb, instead of a bulb on both sides of the screen:

UserJohntanjmOnSGR-3.jpg

"Mrobo77031" on the UR site just attached the pipe and lights to the stand, and put some reflective material around it:

UserMrobo770131onUR-15.jpg

And "Mudshark" on the MASA site just drilled the pvc with holes, and wrapped a screen around it:

UserMudsharkOnMA.jpg

• SRC Member

Well here is my 7-day cleaning from yesterday. First, here's the screen before cleaning, looking at the the edge:

AcrylicEdge2.jpg

AcrylicEdge1.jpg

Here's the screen after cleaning:

AcrylicCleaned1wk.jpg

And here's what was removed:

Acrylic8oz1wk.jpg

So it was a half-pound of wet green hair, about the same as last week. Once thing about cleaning green hair compared to real turf (my other screen that's now at the LFS) is that it slides off so easy, it's hard to leave any on the screen. I tried to only clean one side, but some of the other side detached too. You can almost just run tap water over it, and the loose stuff comes off. Maybe a better design is two half-screens, so you can just pull one out and clean it completely, while not touching the other one.

Hi guys,

Anyone knows where in Singapore to buy the "plastic screen", pipe and custom cutting (especially that slot that is so difficult to cut without proper tool) of pipe used for this algae scrubber project?

Thanks!

Hi there,

Ther's a craft shop located opp the CC at Blk 201 Tampines St. 22. Going to close by end of this month (Oct.) cos' of takeover. Sells 3 types of screens. Pipes can be bot at all hardware stores selling plumbing equip. One such place is at the same block where big lorries are allowed to park near the junction opp. the neighbourhood police post. Made my own screen n been running it for 3 wks now. Use the overflow water to run n is growing the reddish brown cos' I recycled my tank water with phosphate remover recommended by Nakazoru(a fellow reefer).

Enjoy every min.,

Finbir.

Hi guys,

Anyone knows where in Singapore to buy the "plastic screen", pipe and custom cutting (especially that slot that is so difficult to cut without proper tool) of pipe used for this algae scrubber project?

Thanks!

I got the plastics sheet from sewing shop.

Only 2 dollar for a piece of 1 by 1 ft

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Hi there,

Ther's a craft shop located opp the Tampines East CC at Blk 201E Tampines St. 23 Going to close by end of this month (Oct.) cos' of takeover. Sells 3 types of screens. Pipes can be bot at all hardware stores selling plumbing equip. One such shop nearby is at 201A beside CP for lorries near the junction opp. the neighbourhood police post. Made my own screen n been running it for 3 wks now. Use the overflow water to run n is growing the reddish brown cos' I recycled my tank water with phosphate remover recommended by Nakazoru(a fellow reefer).

PS. Sorry 4 the earlier error.

Enjoy every min.,

Finbir.

• SRC Member

Reminder Of The Day:

Why Larger Is Not Better: A larger screen, by itself (without larger lights), is not better than a smaller screen. This means that if you want more nitrate and phosphate removal from your water, the best way to do it is by getting stronger lights, or by moving the lights closer to the screen. If all you do is get a larger screen, the new larger edges of the screen will be too far from the light to have any effect. Of course, the most effective way to increase nitrate and phosphate removal is to do all three: Increase screen size; add more lights to cover the new screen parts; and position all the lights closer to the screen.

• SRC Member

Nutrients2.jpg

Text Version:

Food --> fish,corals --> Organic Nitrate, Organic Phosphate.

Organic Nitrate, Organic Phosphate --> Bacteria --> Inorganic Nitrate, Inorganic Phosphate.

Inorganic Nitrate, Inorganic Phosphate --> Algae --> Oxygen

• SRC Member

Reminder Of The Day:

Feeding: Here are the two building block articles by Eric Borneman that cover what happens when you feed your tank. This information is what you need to know to understand what scrubbers do:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/eb/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/eb/index.php

Here is an excerpt from the second one:

"Detritus [waste] ... is the principal food source for the many bacterial species that work in various nitrification and denitrification activities. Before reaching the microbial community, however, [waste] acts as a food source for the smaller consumers such as amphipods, copepods, errant polychaetes, protozoans, flagellates, ciliates and other animals whose activities contribute to the stability and productivity of a coral reef and a coral reef aquarium."

and

"Of the many food sources available to corals and already discussed in this series of articles, particulate organic material [waste], dissolved organic material [DOC/DOM], and bacteria are the most universally accepted food sources"

and

"The use of detrital material, or particulate organic material, as food source is a cornerstone of coral reef ecology and forms what is well accepted to be the base of the entire food chain"

• SRC Member

Here's one reason I really like using scrubber without a skimmer. My purple gorg and red feather star stay open and extended all day and night, even though they naturally do so only during the night. But since there is no skimmer removing organics (food), and since the scrubber adds pods to the water all day, not only do they eat well, but they do so 24/7. Note: You cannot keep filter feeders likes these if you have a skimmer...

My90starAndGorgSmall.jpg

Hi-Res: http://www.radio-media.com/fish/My90starAndGorg.jpg

• SRC Member

Here's one reason I really like using scrubber without a skimmer. My purple gorg and red feather star stay open and extended all day and night, even though they naturally do so only during the night. But since there is no skimmer removing organics (food), and since the scrubber adds pods to the water all day, not only do they eat well, but they do so 24/7. Note: You cannot keep filter feeders likes these if you have a skimmer...

My90starAndGorgSmall.jpg

You managed to keep red feather star?? Wow!! :yeah:

My90starAndGorgSmall.jpg

:shock::shock::shock::bow::bow::bow:

• SRC Member

Stages of an aquarist's happiness with a scrubber:

1. The day you see the first very light-brown color on the screen.

2. The day you see the screen covered left to right, top to bottom.

3. The day AFTER you think you saw your N or P test go down. Because that day after, you tested again to be sure.

4. The day you realized, for sure, that the the piece of filtration equipment you removed last week was really and truely not needed.

5. The day you finally realize that the N and P problems you've been fighting for (weeks, months, years) are finally gone.

5. The day another aquarist asks you, "How did you do it?"

• SRC Member
Stages of an aquarist's happiness with a scrubber:

1. The day you see the first very light-brown color on the screen.

2. The day you see the screen covered left to right, top to bottom.

3. The day AFTER you think you saw your N or P test go down. Because that day after, you tested again to be sure.

4. The day you realized, for sure, that the the piece of filtration equipment you removed last week was really and truely not needed.

5. The day you finally realize that the N and P problems you've been fighting for (weeks, months, years) are finally gone.

5. The day another aquarist asks you, "How did you do it?"

hahaha.. well said. just one question..

if we still choose to run a in-sump skimmer.. does it matter if the skimmer is placed before or after the scrubber?

cheers!

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• SRC Member

Nutrients3.jpg

Text Version:

Nutrients, part 3

The amount of Inorganic Nitrate and Inorganic Phosphate that a scrubber removes is directly controlled by how much light-power hits the scrubber:

1" - The light-power is full strength.

4" - At 4" distance, the same bulb power has to cover four times the area, so the power per square inch is only 25 percent of what is was (reduced 75%).

6" - At 6" distance, the same bulb power has to cover nine times the area, so the power per square inch is only 11 percent of what is was (reduced 89%).

This is why placing the bulb very close to the scrubber is extremely important.

• SRC Member

Reminder of the Day: Proper Flow

While not as important as how strong and near the bulb is, proper flow has shown to help a lot. Before Mrobo770131 on the UR site got things tuned properly, his flow looked like this:

UserMrobo770131onUR-28.jpg

Zennzzo on the MFK site, however, got it perfect from the start:

UserZennzzoOnMFK-5.jpg

The trick is to have 35 gph (adjustable) for every inch width of the screen. And this is assuming your waterfall pipe has a slot. If your pipe uses drilled holes (not recommended) then you will use less.

• SRC Member

Today's success story comes from "BearUSA" on the TR site. He did what many folks call the "combined" approach... using lots of things in addition to his scrubber to help eliminate his nuisance algae. Wish he had more pics, but here is the before:

UserBearUSAonTalkingReef-3.jpg

And after:

UserBearUSAonTalkingReefSmall-10.jpg

Hi-Res: http://www.radio-media.com/fish/UserBearUS...kingReef-10.jpg

Here is his setup:

UserBearUSAonTalkingReef-1.jpg

And here is what he said along the way:

8/21: this guide is awesome, i,m gonna be building me one of these as soon as i get some time to myself, thanks for posting this so everyone can see and share.

9/10: what is the best way to get rid of nuisance algae, despite regular water changes and picking this stuff off the rocks it keeps growing back, my nitrates are 0ppm confirmed with 2 different test kits. my phosphates are also 0ppm with different tests. i have since set up a turf algae screen but that has only been running for a day and a half so its not working yet.

9/10: [waterfall pipe is] just an ordinary gravel vac pipe, fed by my external canister filter, the light is above at the mo i need to go out and buy some brackets and 2 light fixtures so i can have a light either side of screen, the other end of the gravel vac pipe has a water tight access plug, so i can still get in to clean the pipe. this nuisance algae just keeps on growing despite regular water changes picking it off the rocks, this stuff is ugly no matter what i do it just dont wont to disapear, this turf filter is my last resort.

9/13: i am determined to get this right but sometimes its so disheartning to see a tank that you try your very best to get things right to just keep getting covered in crap algae.

9/18: over the last couple of days i have noticed the nuisance algae i've been suffering with is eventually starting to die off. i'm sure the second 60 litre tank that i placed my calurpa green grape and cheato are starting to take up the nutrients before the nuisance stuff, i'm so pleased today that my tank is half way to looking great again.

9/20: i have done 2 small water changes whilst siphoning out as much as possible, i'm quite glad now i,m eventually getting back on track, my water is crystal clear all params are spot on, i had feared of water turning a bit yellowy with the release off the nutrients from the dying algae but i have had none of that. [...] hopefully fingers crossed i,ve got a hold on this now.

9/23: [answering "how did you do it"]: it could be a number of elements, i took on board all the advice which i received which im totally greatful for, i set up a 60 litre tank next to my main dt and filled it with a 4 inch deep sand bed, plus added culurpa green grape and cheato, i set up a temporary turf algae filter as suggested by Santa Monica in his thread under mega powerful nitrate and phosphate remover, i have continuously picked at the stuff and used a toothbrush to gently wipe over the rocks and inside the nooks and crannys, no doubt scaring my fish half to death, the only thing i haven't done yet is to replace the skimmer, i should say upgrade the skimmer, currently running a red sea pro prism, i had advice to get rid of it and get a better one. and also added another koralia 2 to improve water circulation which i placed at the bottom of dt to serge current over sand bed. increased slightly the amount of water i take out for water change, from about 90litres to about 125litres every 2 to 3 weeks. on the whole it could be any number of things i have done if not all, and once again i would like to thank all of you for your advice and recommendations.

10/6: this thread is really getting interesting now with all the different people posting and for santa monica posting pics of the scrubbers, etc. GOOD WORK SANTA MONICA KEEP IT UP

10/9: i,ve nearly cracked it, this nuisance algae have a look at these pics to see, i'm over the moon its nearly all gone.

10/16: i've been running my scrubber for about a month and a half now, n and p are zero, i have always had a zero n and p reading using the salifert test kits, but when i had that nuisance algae problem i was told the kits were registering zero because it was quite possible that the algae were taken it all in. if that makes any sense. ps another note i'd like to thank you again for your hard work and commitmant in keeping this thread a live and with the great pics your posting up, keep up the good work, without your posting of this thread i wouldn't have even known about these turf filters, so once again a BIG THANKYOU.

• SRC Member

Update of the Day:

It's been recently discovered that the screen-wrapped-around-pipe design will clog up and stop working when the algae gets thick. It grows heavily where the screen is wrapped at the top, and blocks further flow from going down the screen. Instead the flow starts going out the ends, completely missing the entire screen, thus killing what algae was previously growing on screen. It affects different screens in varying amounts; the higher the lights are (thus closer to the wrap), the more it clogs. This is the type I'm referring to:

UserMudsharkOnMA.jpg

• SRC Member
John... Care to update your progress?

Not been much success. The screen is not at my place and when you do a DIY, you really gotta monitor it. This is a project that's just put together with whatever spare material that's lying around so I don't have an optimum flow rate, that's probably another reason.

Updates: Drilled the entire flow bar. now its a slit, no longer many holes. Changed the screen to some kind of cloth (used for cross stitching). Have a new way to attach the cloth screen.

In the process I've gathered alot of ideas on how to construct a good flow bar. One of them is that the flow bar needs to be parallel to the ground or water level. Any tilt can affect how even the flow is spread across the screen, so it's very impt for the flowbar to be well supported so that it is level or alternatively it could be suspended just above its center of gravity if you're too lazy or (too cheap =)) to build the support.

I'm building a new aquarium at my place. I intend to run it off entirely on a algae scrubber. when i described the sump design to various tank makers, they seemed very shock but I promise lotsa picture updates for that project.

Best!

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com