Coral Chips in Sump Tank

• SRC Member

Hi Bros,

I would like to try putting lots of coral chips in the filtration sump tank for my fish only setup. That is after mechanical filtration, the water will flow through a thick layer of 15-20mm coral chips, go up a narrow separator and down to another 10 inches of coral chip before finally go into the final stage sump. I would like to know:

1. Will so much coral chips help to stabilise pH?

2. What will it probably stabilize at? More acidic or more alkaline?

3. If pH is measured at 7.7, will it cause a massive die off of the fishes? At pH 7.7, it is just 0.3 away from pH 8.0 minimum. Will 0.3 difference cause a massive die off?

4. How to push up the pH to 8.0?

Thanks Bros for your help!!!

Regards

Danny ..

• SRC Member
Hi Bros,

I would like to try putting lots of coral chips in the filtration sump tank for my fish only setup. That is after mechanical filtration, the water will flow through a thick layer of 15-20mm coral chips, go up a narrow separator and down to another 10 inches of coral chip before finally go into the final stage sump. I would like to know:

1. Will so much coral chips help to stabilise pH?

2. What will it probably stabilize at? More acidic or more alkaline?

3. If pH is measured at 7.7, will it cause a massive die off of the fishes? At pH 7.7, it is just 0.3 away from pH 8.0 minimum. Will 0.3 difference cause a massive die off?

4. How to push up the pH to 8.0?

Thanks Bros for your help!!!

Regards

Danny ..

Try increasing ur Kh to increase ur ph...

even a 0.1 difference in Ph makes a hell of a difference for the fishes... let alone ur 0.3 bro..

good luck in increasing ur pH value... :D

My 3ft tank

Dimension --> 3ftx1.5ftx2ft

Ehiem 1262 return

Ehiem 1260

Artica 1/5hp Chiller

Tunze 6055 + 7091 single controller

EcoTech Marine Vortech MP40W

Royal Exclusive Mini BubbleKing 160

Lumenarc 250watt 10K BLV

02x Giesemann T5 39watt (blue + Actinic)

Deltec 501 CR

• SRC Member

Have you checked your calcium and kH values? These might be causing the lowered pH problem.

The coral chips may not help much in stabilizing pH. IMO, dosing additives to raise/maintain the pH is better and faster than using coral chips. Furthermore, when the coral chips get choked with detritous overtime, they become a big source of nitrates.

A pH of 7.7 is still ok for fish only, but is rather low and steps should be taken to raise it. Do you have algae growth in the tank? If pH reading was taken during the lights off period, its normal for pH to be lower as the algae will give out carbon dioxide when in the dark, resulting in lowered pH.