Sign in to follow this  
Harlequinmania

No more shark fin for me after i saw this..

hmm I always thought that the only finned the shark and throw the body back into the water

cause the meat is useless but why in the video the people are drying the shark on land??

what are they gonna do with it? :thanks:

I think sharks fin is pretty much a part of Chinese culture, it is something so deeply rooted in the older generation that if a wedding or traditional dinner doesn't have shark fins, they will assume the hosts can't afford it.

It is not that easy to change or influence traditional mindset, just look at the Japanese, we told them to STFU and stick to Sushi, and they said "TTYL, gtg whaling LOL!" year after year. It is something hard to comprehend for the rest of the world cos that's what they have been doing for centuries, it is not something that a complete ban on whaling can change in a few years.

As Singaporeans, we are lucky in a way cos we are better educated and have a more diverse culture and adaptable mind set. The recent weddings I have attended do not have shark fins on the menu, if that is the current trend, then it's a promising sign :lol:

Ultimately, I think that a total ban on shark fins is not practical, that will just drive up the illegal trade. Social pressure and educating the public on the cruelties and harm on the environment caused and letting them make a choice for themselves is better.

Something like this hahaha:

post-15730-1247804924.jpg

post-15730-1247804947.jpg

post-15730-1247804955.jpg

I think sharks fin is pretty much a part of Chinese culture, it is something so deeply rooted in the older generation that if a wedding or traditional dinner doesn't have shark fins, they will assume the hosts can't afford it.

It is not that easy to change or influence traditional mindset, just look at the Japanese, we told them to STFU and stick to Sushi, and they said "TTYL, gtg whaling LOL!" year after year. It is something hard to comprehend for the rest of the world cos that's what they have been doing for centuries, it is not something that a complete ban on whaling can change in a few years.

As Singaporeans, we are lucky in a way cos we are better educated and have a more diverse culture and adaptable mind set. The recent weddings I have attended do not have shark fins on the menu, if that is the current trend, then it's a promising sign :lol:

Ultimately, I think that a total ban on shark fins is not practical, that will just drive up the illegal trade. Social pressure and educating the public on the cruelties and harm on the environment caused and letting them make a choice for themselves is better.

Something like this hahaha:

post-15730-1247804924.jpg

post-15730-1247804947.jpg

post-15730-1247804955.jpg

haha damn funny bro who would go to this kinda wedding sure to stink :eyebrow:

now besides shark finning there is still fur culling

those ppl in china pull the skin out from dogs and other animals damn it still breathing one woa

the other one is seal killing also for their fur gosh what are these ppl thinking

http://www.olympicshame2010.com/Why.aspx

Sharksfin has no taste no nutritional value and some have poisonous mercury content which is bad for pregnant women, it's just prestige to the Chinese (btw, l'm a Chinese). l don't eat sharksfin now, l have observed that during weddings and chinese new year dinner, there are indeed more diners now saying no to sharksfins. I think it helps everytime when l explained to other diners when they asked me why l don't drink that bowl of soup since the shark's already been killed cos many people are still ignorant of what's happening out there.

Westerners are not that noble either. l mean those who buy and wear fur coats. Furs are generally derived from skinning the animals, and in many farms in China, ALIVE. Really sad to see sicked pple that could do that to helpless animals. A search in youtube.com will show you many of such disturbing happenings.

Sharksfin has no taste no nutritional value...

Yup, an alternative with similar nutritional value is chicken stock with starch and yeah, chew your fingernails at the same time :lol:

I'll still go for shark fin...haha...anyway shark fins are commercially farmed now just like salmon.

But i dun agree with our chinese comrades eating dogs and cats and other animals in a cruel way...they sacrifice for our daily food intake so we can live, at least we should respect that.

anyway shark fins are commercially farmed now just like salmon.

AhSiang, don't want to burst your bubble, but I don't think sharks are farmed like salmon or groupers. The amount of effort, feed and time needed to get them to maturity is tremendous, many years. Shark farming is a myth or misinformation started by the hotel industry to make us feel better about eating shark fins haha.

Mandarin Oriental Singapore was quoted in a ST article not long ago that they buy their sharks fins from fish farm, but so far, there is no evidence of such a farm in the world. They might have bought it from a fish farm that acts like a middle man for poachers, doesn't necessarily mean that the sharks were bred on the farm.

No offence bro, I have nothing against anyone eating fins, its an individual choice but I just want to clear the air about the farming myth :P

haha damn funny bro who would go to this kinda wedding sure to stink :eyebrow:

I will surely cancel out the shark fin manual in my wedding ..can help save $$ too !! :eyebrow:

ya..i agree we should cut down the shark fins but sometimes it is difficult to cut it from wedding menu as some of the guests might say you can't afford it, so cheap...bla bla..Hope they can change their mindset..:-)

yes, killing sharks for their fins is cruel and we should all avoid it. it is neither nutritious nor tasteful. also i don't think the newer generation would see it as being wealthy when its served at a wedding dinner, so say NO to shark fin soup!

anyway commercial fishing also has many by catches like sharks, turtles, dolphins, whales and most of the time they are dead or badly injured if released. so if you eat mac fish burger, u're also indirectly killing these marine animals. also some type of shark meat is also sold in western countries as fish and chips.

many sharks speices are not known to reproduce in captivity. underwater world runs a successful bamboo shark breeding program and i heard they do release them into the wild, but bamboo shark's fin is probably too small for a bowl of soup. you'll need many of them.

hypothetically if we can really farm sharks, would you still order or drink that bowl of soup? the fish maw soup taste quite similar IMHO.

while we are at this topic, there are many other marine animals that needs attention... like the leatherback turtle that had recently gone sub-species extinct in Malaysia. the baiji that was declared extinct in china's yangtze river, mekong river catfish, southern bluefin tuna (think sushi). i can go on and on... haha