alantic blue tang

Anyone keeping one? What do you feed it. Hard to get it to feed? Currently trying to get it to feed using seaweed and flakes. Have not really seen it eat.

From the web

"Atlantic blue tangs are herbivores and must be provided with a diet of marine algae and plant-based marine fish food in order for them to survive and remain healthy in captivity. They will eat thawed frozen food for marine fish and you can supplement their diet with seaweed (sushi nori). They will also eat meaty marine foods, but most of their diet should be plant-based."

event.png

• SRC Member

It just same as other tangs! :rolleyes: Quite easy to let them eat.

Anyone keeping one? What do you feed it. Hard to get it to feed? Currently trying to get it to feed using seaweed and flakes. Have not really seen it eat.

From the web

"Atlantic blue tangs are herbivores and must be provided with a diet of marine algae and plant-based marine fish food in order for them to survive and remain healthy in captivity. They will eat thawed frozen food for marine fish and you can supplement their diet with seaweed (sushi nori). They will also eat meaty marine foods, but most of their diet should be plant-based."

bro, personal experience, ABT is also an ich magnet when compared to other normal tangs..... u got yrs from LCK? have you tried feeding it before you purchase it? try to put in red bamboo or red grape for her to eat.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

bro, personal experience, ABT is also an ich magnet when compared to other normal tangs..... u got yrs from LCK? have you tried feeding it before you purchase it? try to put in red bamboo or red grape for her to eat.

Yup. Got it at LCK after CF. LCK can test feed? Did not know about that :paiseh: .Currently in quarantine tank with the PBT, separated by a big betta box. Will put in some red bamboo tonight.

event.png

yup. LCK allows test feed....but good to ask the pretty ladies to feed and show you......hehe. for me, i will try dump all types.....frozen mysis to brine shrimp, flakes, pellets, live mysis or brine shrimp, red bamboo and grapes...and henry food if got.....but let her stablise and dont cause unnecessary stress......the white spot should come in 3 to 4 days....once stable......should be gone within a week.....

all the best.

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member
My blue tang (and other tangs) is a carnivore... doesn't like seaweed. Only likes meaty foods :yeah:

u need to feed some greens to ur tangs.....not going to be gd to the tangs if they only eat meaty food

must listen to master zephyros....lol....one of the biggest ABT i saw....apart from the one at iwarna in the past.....

Algae Scrubbler

must listen to master zephyros....lol....one of the biggest ABT i saw....apart from the one at iwarna in the past.....

yes masters. Will go back tonight to soak all the different types of food i have in garlic to coax it to eat. the red bamboo is already in the tank. hopefully if i am successful in keeping ABT and PBT, the next i will try is my final target, the AT.

Might need to get rid of the more aggressive tangs by then.

event.png

bro, you must be prepared for ich or spot outbreak....cos PBT, AT and ABT.....all are magnets for spot and ich.....once stress a bit....spot or ich will appear......if your fishes resistance level is low......then might.....so plan properly.

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

not sure how many ppl out there is a believer of Vit C and garlic, but from day 1 of reefing, I soak henry's frozen with 2 drops of vit C and garlic on each serving ... so far no fish die of "illness" issue such as ich or spot :)

Yah. My ABT feeding. Guess it just need time to get use to the new enviroment. Just like my purple and yellow.

My ABT died. :( Noticed it was bloated on friday night and it has gone to a better place Sunday with the stomach very bloated. :( Do not even know what has gone wrong.

event.png

My ABT died. :( Noticed it was bloated on friday night and it has gone to a better place Sunday with the stomach very bloated. :( Do not even know what has gone wrong.

Blue Tang are very greedy, only nothing to eat, they anything as much as u can give them

no worries at all