Sign in to follow this  
cdckjn

Punggol Intertidal Walk

Punggol Intertidal Walk 25 Jul 2009

Me and two of my colleagues met in the early morning to catch the morning low tide and were we rewarded. The low tide that day was super low at the Punggol beach. It was so low that the jetty was nearly all exposed and there was the sponges growing on it. The beach was covered with sea grass = marine life is supported by these greenery.

we found a kuda sea horse and even a greenish file fish. These were released after photography. We also found lots of flower crabs. Further down we found carpet anemones and sea urchins. The highlight was that we found a orange sponge crab near to a sea anemone. There were also lots of brittlestars feeding in the slit and mud banks.

After this trip, I am sure now that marine life near Singapore shores are very much alive and that we should do our little part to try to conserve our environment. We should reduce, reuse and recycle. Of course for us as reefers, we should be careful not to harm or support the careless harvesting of corals or sea life. We should practice responsible reefing.

Thanks for reading.

Any one else who wish to visit the Punggol Beach for a intertidal walk can PM me so that if the next low tide is ok, then we all can go.

Me and two of my colleagues met in the early morning to catch the morning low tide and were we rewarded. The low tide that day was super low at the Punggol beach. It was so low that the jetty was nearly all exposed and there was the sponges growing on it. The beach was covered with sea grass = marine life is supported by these greenery.

we found a kuda sea horse and even a greenish file fish. These were released after photography. We also found lots of flower crabs. Further down we found carpet anemones and sea urchins. The highlight was that we found a orange sponge crab near to a sea anemone. There were also lots of brittlestars feeding in the slit and mud banks.

After this trip, I am sure now that marine life near Singapore shores are very much alive and that we should do our little part to try to conserve our environment. We should reduce, reuse and recycle. Of course for us as reefers, we should be careful not to harm or support the careless harvesting of corals or sea life. We should practice responsible reefing.

Thanks for reading.

Any one else who wish to visit the Punggol Beach for a intertidal walk can PM me so that if the next low tide is ok, then we all can go.

I guess it would be like the Chek Jawa in Puala Ubin where several different ecosystems can be seen in one small area. Furthermore, some of these ecosystems and the plants and animals found there are no longer common in Singapore anymore... So sad.. :paiseh: And they are also fast disappearing elsewhere in the world.

Hi, I stayed in sengkang. Never noe that there is such a beautiful lowtide at punggol end. Your walk really interest me

very much.

Thanks for sharing, hope to join you guys some day. ;)

Thanks for reading.

This was an early walk that I took. This walk was conducted in Palau Semakau - Singapore's landfill island. Do a google search on Palau Semakau for more details. It was an eye-opener to see so much marine life there is located in Singapore - being a very busy sea port. The amount of corals there is also amazing!

Thanks for viewing!