clownfish galore

ambystoma82

Chrysogasters are in a 3 gallon tank. If they are still stable in another week I will transfer them to bigger quarters. I don't have leucokranos to take pics of, too expensive for me. In U.S they cost way cheaper. :pinch:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

is there nobody breeding thts y they r so x ?

or they r very difficult to breed?

or it is a mixed breed tht just started...

They are wild hybrids, thus the price.

People have bred them before, but only a small percentage of the offspring will look like leucokranos. The rest will bear a resemblance to chrysopterus and skunks.

People have bred them before, but only a small percentage of the offspring will look like leucokranos. The rest will bear a resemblance to chrysopterus and skunks.

The wonders of mother nature... Din know they were Hybrid... But it seems quite common in our region?

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

The wonders of mother nature... Din know they were Hybrid... But it seems quite common in our region?

Leucokranos are believed (not totally proven) to be natural hybrid of chrysopterus and sandaracinos. From captive bred records, only about 30% of off-springs will show leucokranos traits, the others follows chrysopterus or sandaracinos.

Another v similar clown is Thiellei (the more orangy fish). Believed also to be natural hybrid, between ocellaris and sandaracinos.

Both clowns are considered rare. With Thiellei a little rarer than leucokranos. In the states, both clowns costs about US$100 each, so i guess over here the price is a little too high.

post-10328-1251813686_thumb.jpg

post-10328-1251813706_thumb.jpg

u mean e same parents but chances of getting same children as parents is difficult ?

wow thts weird..

Leucokranos are believed (not totally proven) to be natural hybrid of chrysopterus and sandaracinos. From captive bred records, only about 30% of off-springs will show leucokranos traits, the others follows chrysopterus or sandaracinos.

Another v similar clown is Thiellei (the more orangy fish). Believed also to be natural hybrid, between ocellaris and sandaracinos.

Both clowns are considered rare. With Thiellei a little rarer than leucokranos. In the states, both clowns costs about US$100 each, so i guess over here the price is a little too high.

US $100 convert to sing is abt $150 ?

$150 + e dead or alive upon arrival++ shipment fee = ????? $400 ????

US $100 convert to sing is abt $150 ?

$150 + e dead or alive upon arrival++ shipment fee = ????? $400 ????

We cant compare like that cos our LFS get in bulk and directly from supplier or collectors so price will be much cheaper. For example flame angel costs about US$40 in the states and if we compare like that then after conversion and freight etc they should cost >S$100 here, no, but rather we can still get at around $40. Recent gem tangs from Henry cost about S$3000 each, and in the states it'll cost also the same figure but in a higher currency of US$3000. So i tot with so many leucokranos brought in, the price should be around S$100 plus. Nevertheless, the high price of leucokranos did not deter buyers who like the fish.

We cant compare like that cos our LFS get in bulk and directly from supplier or collectors so price will be much cheaper. For example flame angel costs about US$40 in the states and if we compare like that then after conversion and freight etc they should cost >S$100 here, no, but rather we can still get at around $40. Recent gem tangs from Henry cost about S$3000 each, and in the states it'll cost also the same figure but in a higher currency of US$3000. So i tot with so many leucokranos brought in, the price should be around S$100 plus. Nevertheless, the high price of leucokranos did not deter buyers who like the fish.

Yes we are quite lucky indeed to be reefing in Singapore. Another example is orchid dottybacks. They retail in the States for around U.S $40. In Singapore we can get them at SGD $40, with the source being from U.S as well. :upsidedown:

• SRC Member

There is no correlation for the price of leucokranos and black perculas between the US and CF. This is because CF retails them at more or less US retail prices. Maybe just to make a quick buck, but possibly to discourage local sales so they can keep them for their preferred export customers.

Last I checked, leuk prices were about US$300 per pair wholesale - but that was when the economy was good, and also when the USD was around 1.7+!

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

But the body shape of both clown are so different.. It is unimaginable that they will live together and create hybrid...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Fuel,

I'm still quite confuse over allardi and chrysopterus. So the photos below is a pair of allardi right? And they will only resemble chryseptorus when they grow bigger, whereas chrysopterus start out with jux one color pattern (as in the black body-yellow fin-blue stripe pattern) from juvi to adult?

Also may be interested to add a pair of clownfish. But prefer a pair of less aggressive and less active (in the sense of less likely to snatch food away from other fishes) clownfish. Those big size allardi's at the LCK are active and aggressive? Is true perc (interested in picasso) and latz considered aggressive?

post-10328-1252335118_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member
Fuel,

I'm still quite confuse over allardi and chrysopterus. So the photos below is a pair of allardi right? And they will only resemble chryseptorus when they grow bigger, whereas chrysopterus start out with jux one color pattern (as in the black body-yellow fin-blue stripe pattern) from juvi to adult?

Also may be interested to add a pair of clownfish. But prefer a pair of less aggressive and less active (in the sense of less likely to snatch food away from other fishes) clownfish. Those big size allardi's at the LCK are active and aggressive? Is true perc (interested in picasso) and latz considered aggressive?

Bro,

It's not easy to tell the difference in a nicely colored (blue striped) mature allardi and a dark bodied chrysopterus - regional variation makes it harder! I think chrysopterus have a stronger blue stripe in mature fish vs mature allardi. As for juves, chrysopterus juves actually can look different and even look like clarkii. Just go to CF and stare at that row of chrysopterus in the back - good range of juve and adult colors of the dark variants. Then drive down to LCK and stare at the allardis.......can really make your head spin :shock::pinch::lol:

The only "less aggressive" clowns are the skunk group - pink, orange. Even those can get a bit territorial if they get big and start breeding, but generally much less aggressive than the others.

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

Hi Digiman,

For allardi and chrysopterus adults, one of the more reliable ways is to ask where the fish came from. If it came in with an African shipment, it is usually allardi as chrysopterus are not found in Africa. Second way, I don't know if other people can see it or it's just me, is that I look at the head. Somehow chrysopterus seems to have a more rounded head while allardi always seem to have a less convex, more sloping head. Another difference I notice is that the teeth is very prominent in adult chrysopterus, less so in allardi. A more subtle difference is the head, somehow the allardi always gives me the big head & small body kinda feel while the chrysopterus does not.

For juveniles of the same size, a good way is to look at the blue hue on the stripes. Blue-stripe juveniles develop their blue much sooner than allardi. That said, many clownfish look similar when they are young. Perhaps the differences will become more obvious when they are a minimum 2 inches in size. At 2 inches, juvenile allardi usually have a white margin at the top of their tail fin. Blue-stripes at this size usually do not have this.

Below is a pic of how a juvenile blue stripe might look like. For smaller individuals there might be a little black in the tail which will fade completely as they grow.

http://www.reefhotspot.com/store/product_i...roducts_id=1013

Hi Digiman,

For allardi and chrysopterus adults, one of the more reliable ways is to ask where the fish came from. If it came in with an African shipment, it is usually allardi as chrysopterus are not found in Africa. Second way, I don't know if other people can see it or it's just me, is that I look at the head. Somehow chrysopterus seems to have a more rounded head while allardi always seem to have a less convex, more sloping head. Another difference I notice is that the teeth is very prominent in adult chrysopterus, less so in allardi. A more subtle difference is the head, somehow the allardi always gives me the big head & small body kinda feel while the chrysopterus does not.

For juveniles of the same size, a good way is to look at the blue hue on the stripes. Blue-stripe juveniles develop their blue much sooner than allardi. That said, many clownfish look similar when they are young. Perhaps the differences will become more obvious when they are a minimum 2 inches in size. At 2 inches, juvenile allardi usually have a white margin at the top of their tail fin. Blue-stripes at this size usually do not have this.

Below is a pic of how a juvenile blue stripe might look like. For smaller individuals there might be a little black in the tail which will fade completely as they grow.

http://www.reefhotspot.com/store/product_i...roducts_id=1013

I agree, I always ask is this from Africa LOL