clownfish galore

ambystoma82

• SRC Supporter
Just saw a few Amphiprion Nigripes in HK LFS. They look so lovely with the "black boots". Are they common in Singapore cos I seldom going LFSing recently.

Cheers

JC

CF and Sealife have them.

Bro Fuel,

U mention "Keeping A. chrysopterus alive is already a challenge. "

May i ask y is it so difficult to keep compare with other clownfish ?

they hv some special requirements ?

Chrysopterus are disease magnets.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
Wah.. the Seychelles Anemonefish :rolleyes:

But the picture attached looks more like a Chrysogaster. :unsure:

ya, i agree. A. fuscocaudatus has a dark central area at its tail base, with dark longitudinal streaks separated by lighter areas radiating from it (look like dark rays on its tail fin). But A. chrysogaster should have white border on its soft dorsal fin and on top of the caudal fins with is not seen in this pix. Imo, it look abit like the A. Tricinctus

Cheers

JC

Wah.. the Seychelles Anemonefish :rolleyes:

But the picture attached looks more like a Chrysogaster. :unsure:

ya, i agree. A. fuscocaudatus has a dark central area at its tail base, with dark longitudinal streaks separated by lighter areas radiating from it (look like dark rays on its tail fin). But A. chrysogaster should have white border on its soft dorsal fin and on top of the caudal fins with is not seen in this pix. Imo, it look abit like the A. Tricinctus

Cheers

JC

I no clownfish expert, esp the clarki's complex group has been exceedingly tough for me to distinguish. But no doubt, the pic posted is a fuscocaudatus taken by a well known underwater photograph / marine biologist, Luiz Rocha, at Seychelles.

• SRC Member

I'm not expert either. The clarkii complex are one of the biggest complex with many of them look very similar. Actually, if we look closely to the pix you posted, the tail fin does seems to have the distinct dark rays that differential the A. fuscocaudatus. Din look hard enough earlier. lol

I'm training myself now to hopefully able to distinguish the various species from pix. Thus this thread has been a great training ground. :P

Cheers

JC

I'm not expert either. The clarkii complex are one of the biggest complex with many of them look very similar. Actually, if we look closely to the pix you posted, the tail fin does seems to have the distinct dark rays that differential the A. fuscocaudatus. Din look hard enough earlier. lol

I'm training myself now to hopefully able to distinguish the various species from pix. Thus this thread has been a great training ground. :P

Cheers

JC

It's good that u've the patience. I always giv up when they start saying things like see the little black caudal fin or see the darker fin tail or slightly longer less yellowish head bla bla bla.. I jux cannot see it! They all look like Clarks to me! So now i jux post pic and wait for the expert to name them haha.

Judging from the transparency of the tail, I would say it is A. fuscocaudatus. A. tricinctus looks like a normal 3-bar orange form clarkii with a darker shade near the top of the body, only that the tail is black.

Judging from the transparency of the tail, I would say it is A. fuscocaudatus. A. tricinctus looks like a normal 3-bar orange form clarkii with a darker shade near the top of the body, only that the tail is black.

Seeee, this is wat i mean, only expert can tell the diff. I'll always remain lost.

Seeee, this is wat i mean, only expert can tell the diff. I'll always remain lost.

I would'nt have been able to tell the difference if I have not seen these fish in real life. Once you see a chrysogaster, you will never mistake it for anything else. They are just so unique. Even for chrysopterus, allardi and tricinctus. You have to see these fishes in person before you can be certain. I have been lucky, to be able to see all these fishes in Singapore. I've only seen the tricinctus once, and that experience cannot be described. :)

Dun keep tempting me....... arggggg. I wun be able to go over till Sunday! Btw, how many pieces are there?

JC

Think there are about 4-5 pcs. They won't move so fast, I would'nt worry. Chrysopterus are a little more pricey than the usual clownfish.

The juv looks nice..

Juvenile clownfish in the clarkii complex look so much the same. Wait till the tricinctus juvenile gets to around 3". When you see it with a darker shade it is beautiful. Too bad the only one I've seen was a dying one. :cry2:

Juvenile clownfish in the clarkii complex look so much the same. Wait till the tricinctus juvenile gets to around 3". When you see it with a darker shade it is beautiful. Too bad the only one I've seen was a dying one. :cry2:

Singapore got ah?

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp