Proper Cycling

yikai

• SRC Member

I try before. Best is to wash all your liverock and bio filtration with your current tank water if not sea water. That what I do bec I worry when I shift all and dirt all this cause ammonia spike. And dose bacteria for one week since u wash all the liverock and bio filtration.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Thanks bro..my live rocks are soak in half new salt mix water n half old tank water now with tunze 6045 circulating the water at 26.5°c..gg to transfer all live rocks n dry rocks n new sand mix old sand into main tank tml for circulation..had buy seachem stability for new tank syndrome bacteria to dose for 7 days n cycle b4 moving all livestock in their new home..hope all is well..

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • SRC Member

Hi All, I'm a newbie in marine tank. Just started cycling my tank for a week. Notice the water become slightly cloudy/milky after I add in the live rocks. Is it normal or do I need to change water? I've also added the market prawn for kick start the cycling. Btw do I need to on my chiller as I've added the live rock? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi All, I'm a newbie in marine tank. Just started cycling my tank for a week. Notice the water become slightly cloudy/milky after I add in the live rocks. Is it normal or do I need to change water? I've also added the market prawn for kick start the cycling. Btw do I need to on my chiller as I've added the live rock? Thanks.

Hi Bro, tank cloudy is normal after adding live rocks. Chiller do not need to be on at this time. I just completed my cycling too. Enjoy ur reefing.

• SRC Member

Hi Bro, tank cloudy is normal after adding live rocks. Chiller do not need to be on at this time. I just completed my cycling too. Enjoy ur reefing.

Thanks for the info bro. So how long will it takes to clear the water? How long did you cycle your tank bro?

When NH4,NO2 and NO3 zero

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Thanks for the info bro. So how long will it takes to clear the water? How long did you cycle your tank bro?

Bro for cloudy water, you might want to try using algone. I managed to clear up my water within 2 days during my cycling process.

• SRC Supporter

No light & chiller required during the cycling period to build up beneficial bacteria. Having lights will only lead to algae since there would be loads of phosphate & nitrates in the water.

Optimum temperature for bacteria growth (according to internet literature) is between 25degC to 30degC. http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html

Cloudy water can happen after adding beneficial bacteria either through rocks or bacteria additive. Perfectly normal & good. Just leave it & it'll clear up in a few days.

As mentioned before, even though you seed it with ammonia (eg with market prawns), ammonia & nitrites remain zero & nitrates shoot up, it means it is cycled.

The longer you cycle the better. Minimum 2 weeks. Ideally 4 weeks or more. Longer cycling means there is more beneficial bacteria to handle the bio load of live stock added.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member

No light & chiller required during the cycling period to build up beneficial bacteria. Having lights will only lead to algae since there would be loads of phosphate & nitrates in the water.

Optimum temperature for bacteria growth (according to internet literature) is between 25degC to 30degC. http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html

Cloudy water can happen after adding beneficial bacteria either through rocks or bacteria additive. Perfectly normal & good. Just leave it & it'll clear up in a few days.

As mentioned before, even though you seed it with ammonia (eg with market prawns), ammonia & nitrites remain zero & nitrates shoot up, it means it is cycled.

The longer you cycle the better. Minimum 2 weeks. Ideally 4 weeks or more. Longer cycling means there is more beneficial bacteria to handle the bio load of live stock added.

Thanks for the advise bro. Do I need to do water change during the cycling period? Do I need to add liquid bacteria weekly while cycling? Thanks.

• SRC Supporter

I'm not an expert in this area but this is what I would advise.

- No need to change water during the cycling period. Just let the bacteria continue to colonize & eat up the ammonia/nitrites. I'd change water after cycling is completed (not during). By then your nitrates/phosphates would be pretty high. Water change would immediately remove the bulk of it.

- Adding bacteria during cycling. Just follow the instructions on the label. Most brands would say to add bacteria daily/weekly during the cycling period.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

I just add daily

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

They are eating very ok ... just that I put them on a diet coz otherwise the water turns even murkier haha...

bro, better feed them full strength and do more good WC. else very soon the fish wont need to eat anything liao

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

bro, better feed them full strength and do more good WC. else very soon the fish wont need to eat anything liao

I'm hoping to allow the BB to build up then put them on full diet, although have started dosing with Microbater 7 to help speed up the process and hopefully achieve the right balance soon

Changing water wise, every week about 50l or more out ... very siong to bring back that volume every week though haha

• SRC Member

I'm hoping to allow the BB to build up then put them on full diet, although have started dosing with Microbater 7 to help speed up the process and hopefully achieve the right balance soon

Changing water wise, every week about 50l or more out ... very siong to bring back that volume every week though haha

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

Good question, problem is now my BB is definitely insufficient lol ... so the plan is with the dosing, as the BB builds, my feeding will increase daily. Keeping fingers and toes X

Bro, in that case u can either monitor the algaes in ur tank or measure your N and P alternate days to estimate. But my experience is that BB is like inlaws, u know that they will come eventually but you wont know when they will come...

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

Bro, in that case u can either monitor the algaes in ur tank or measure your N and P alternate days to estimate. But my experience is that BB is like inlaws, u know that they will come eventually but you wont know when they will come...

LOL! That's a good one!

Angel Keeper

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/128217-Angel-Keeper's-5-Feet-Mixed-Reef-Tank

• SRC Member
Hahahaha ... In-laws... Currently yet to see any algae though