Falco Hawk reef-safe?

• SRC Member

ok, so i got another fish I have been eyeing this weekend at Iwarna's. Absolute beauty, and super cheap. It's happily eating pellets in my betta box right now, and displaying quite abit of obnoxious behaviour already.

I'm reading horror stories of it decimating shrimp and snail populations in tank, and bullying small fishes. Anyone has any experience to share before I decide whether to let it out or give it back to LFS?

• SRC Member

I purchased a Falco Hawk about a month ago. In that time I lost a Chromis, shrimp, numerous snails and what ever else he killed. Not to mentioned all of the bites my Coral Beauty and my Dragon Wrasse sustained. That last straw was when my Dragon Wrasse (Beast) wouldn't come out to eat. He now resides in the fish store. Please be careful with these guys, they can be crazy!

This is one of the advice which totally disturbed me... This guy is about 2.5-3", can definitely bully my fishes if he wants to.

Hi comy

I have not kept one before but did a quick search round the forums.

Seems like they will likely to attack ornamental shrimps, snails and possibly small gobies/ fishes as well.

Depends on luck though cause some can live peacefully though.

Good luck and hope to hear from others.

rgds

Jacky

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
Seems like they will likely to attack ornamental shrimps, snails and possibly small gobies/ fishes as well.

Depends on luck though cause some can live peacefully though.

Thanks bro. That is exactly my concern. However, the same can also be said for the entire hawkfish family, and I know of many bros here who are still keeping them in their tank. If nobody replies, I intend to lock him in my betta box for another week to train him to eat pellets and pellets only before letting him out over the weekend. I don't mind him eating my shrimps and snails actually... I just don't want him attacking my fishes.

And I do intend to keep gobies in future... sigh... taking a gamble here

• SRC Member

okie think I'm going to let go the falco... Don't want to risk my prized possessions for the sake of a $5 fish... Will post on pasar malam soon. Anyone interested can PM me. Going to let go at the same price I got for, no buyers will return to Lilian this weekend.