Power Failure

Hi bros,

I have read quite a few experiences of bros here about the seriousness of power failure. Quite a few had shared the experience of total fatality of livestocks due to power failure.

For me, UPS is not a feasible solution. In this case, are there other things that I could do to prevent fatality of livestock during power failure? For example, does keeping the tank lightly stocked help?

Thanks.

Kwee Heng

Hi bros,

I have read quite a few experiences of bros here about the seriousness of power failure. Quite a few had shared the experience of total fatality of livestocks due to power failure.

For me, UPS is not a feasible solution. In this case, are there other things that I could do to prevent fatality of livestock during power failure? For example, does keeping the tank lightly stocked help?

Thanks.

Kwee Heng

Hi Kwee Heng,

Yes, keeping your tank lightly stocks does help because the oxygen demand of the tank will be low.

Another cheap alternative is battery operated air pump, you can get those in most LFS nowadays.

HTH ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Lightly stocked tank will mean a smaller burn to the pocket but I think it will help in short-term (less than 6 hours) outage situations.

The major fatal factor I believe will be Temperature. Once the temperature goes up, LPS and SPS will start to deteriorate and die.

Lighting. Should be off when chilling is not functional to reduce heat generation. Livestock will be fine for a few days without lighting.

Filter/skimmer. Waste accumulation will be slower in a Lightly stocked tank. But Siphoning and water changes can help in situations where normal filtration is not available.

Dissolved Oxygen. A battery-operated air pump will help with gas exchange during outage.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

1) Have many bottles of "iced" water in fridge ready

2) standby battery power pumps

power failure is not the thing that kills, it is not knowing that there is a power failure that kills

how to be alerted when there is a power failure?

cheers

• SRC Member
power failure is not the thing that kills, it is not knowing that there is a power failure that kills

how to be alerted when there is a power failure?

+1

Even with high tech controller with whatever email or sms module to alert you, no power=no alert...

• SRC Member
+1

Even with high tech controller with whatever email or sms module to alert you, no power=no alert...

very true. unless the high tech controller can be made to send status updates to the reefers like every 2 hrs from 9 - 7pm via sms thus f there is a power failure. the user will be alert enuff to notice the lapse in sms thus rush home...

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member

just for laughs. Train your fishes to call your mobile...

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

+1

You mean those controller do not have back up battery to continue working for the next few hours?

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member
Don't think so...

they don have back up battery. i google and cant find a controller that alert user when there is a power failure. However i guess u can get a ups. t

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member
I'm not too sure about the SMS on power failure function but I think I can check with someone about this tomorrow. Question is due to the hardware cost and customization, how much are you willing to pay for it ? :wacko:

just get your machine to sms u every 2 hrs. so if u find the lapse u will know uncle murphy playing with your fishes.

All controller component are DC type so should be able to be support

by battery for short period of time.

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

For daily monitoring when away from work, I think it's ok. You can rush back to rectify the problem.

If away for holiday, no matter what million dollar backup system you have also not enough. Need someone knowledgeable standby to fix the problem. Otherwise kena sms ruin not only your tank but your holiday.

If you go on holiday, you will normally get someone to look after your tank if its a long holiday.

So if you recieve sms alert from your tank you can call them to help and check the problem :idea:

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

usually before i go on short holiday, i do a 'mock' power failure.. and see what are the issues to take note of.. ensure that water level in sump is optimum (no overflow) etc.. but the problem is usually with the lightings and the temp. of the water since chiller doesn't kick in..