Desi & Ketchup 4x2.5x2 tank

desideria

Hihi...

We stay in AMK, very near the YCK MRT, walking distance :)

From now till end Jan i expect us to be very busy with work/tank... but will try and update the thread with pics and stuffs! :)

Next up... Cabinet and tank set up ... ETA 29/30th Dec!

Wow, that should be very near my place.... I stay Blk 636...

Regards,

Macrobutt

• SRC Member

Today after visiting bro sphinx's place to see and admire his tank, we went to buy live rock from IRwana.. :)

Below is a pic of the live rock we got and temporarily storing it in a huge tub we bought with salt water and an air tube to areate the water until we chuck it into the tank.

post-12571-1261904455_thumb.jpg

Drying the 4 way joints and elbow pipes :P

post-12571-1261904463_thumb.jpg

2 more days to Tank delivery.... *fingers crossed*

Desi & Ketchup.

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member

hah we are taking the rocks out this evening to do some rudimentary rock scaping on our coffee table so that we have an idea how we want to do it in the tank and by end of the week, I am going to throw it into the tank already assuming ALL goes well... still keeping fingers crossed.

At the moment, where I have put the tub with rocks in the limited space I have no more sockets to throw in a wavemaker. :P nvm, I'd just do slight water change on a daily basis. :)

Thanks for the advice

Cheers,

Desi.

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Supporter
hah we are taking the rocks out this evening to do some rudimentary rock scaping on our coffee table so that we have an idea how we want to do it in the tank and by end of the week, I am going to throw it into the tank already assuming ALL goes well... still keeping fingers crossed.

At the moment, where I have put the tub with rocks in the limited space I have no more sockets to throw in a wavemaker. :P nvm, I'd just do slight water change on a daily basis. :)

Thanks for the advice

Cheers,

Desi.

remember to dose bacteria after each WC ;)

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

24 more hours ..... gosh..... anyway, did some night before preps... the amount of effort we put in as though getting ready for wedding like that.. aiyoh... /faint..

:) This is Ketchup's MASTER PIECE... our Egg crate support with 4 way joints and T shape PVC pipes in the center!

post-12571-1262015718_thumb.jpg

Close up of Ketchup's handiwork....

post-12571-1262015763_thumb.jpg

Our proposed rock scape done on our coffee table protected with towels, newspaper and plastic bags! 22Kg of LIve rock mixed with fiberglass!

Front view from when you open the main door..

post-12571-1262015824_thumb.jpg

Side panel short view - it looks a bit cramped but it isn't.. ok ok I'm a bad photographer. :P

post-12571-1262015855_thumb.jpg

View from sitting on the sofa TV side

post-12571-1262015897_thumb.jpg

The side which wil be facing the overflow /wall

post-12571-1262015932_thumb.jpg

:) Hope it turns out as we intended! WE are leaving space at all 4 sides for fish to swim and hopefully we have enough nooks and crannies to put corals as well as for fishes to hide in. :)

Also some clear open sand beds to put some flat corals on as well. :)

EGGCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)))))))

Desi & Ketchup

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• Senior Reefer
24 more hours ..... gosh..... anyway, did some night before preps... the amount of effort we put in as though getting ready for wedding like that.. aiyoh... /faint..

:) This is Ketchup's MASTER PIECE... our Egg crate support with 4 way joints and T shape PVC pipes in the center!

post-12571-1262015718_thumb.jpg

Close up of Ketchup's handiwork....

post-12571-1262015763_thumb.jpg

Our proposed rock scape done on our coffee table protected with towels, newspaper and plastic bags! 22Kg of LIve rock mixed with fiberglass!

Front view from when you open the main door..

post-12571-1262015824_thumb.jpg

Side panel short view - it looks a bit cramped but it isn't.. ok ok I'm a bad photographer. :P

post-12571-1262015855_thumb.jpg

View from sitting on the sofa TV side

post-12571-1262015897_thumb.jpg

The side which wil be facing the overflow /wall

post-12571-1262015932_thumb.jpg

:) Hope it turns out as we intended! WE are leaving space at all 4 sides for fish to swim and hopefully we have enough nooks and crannies to put corals as well as for fishes to hide in. :)

Also some clear open sand beds to put some flat corals on as well. :)

EGGCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)))))))

Desi & Ketchup

looking good! love the PUN! :)

what is PUN???

sry double post

Pun = play on words

In this context it was Desideria saying "eggcited!!!", a play on the word "excited" and "egg" coz an egg crate was used to support the rockscape.

Ok, end of English 101. :rolleyes:

" ... and the sea cucumber turns to the mollusk and says, 'With fronds like these, who needs anemones?' " -Marlin the Clownfish-

• SRC Member
looks awesome D&K.

Super envious of couples who works on their tank together :)

Actually no leh... couples who works together PAYS TOGETHER! LOL... no one to control! :)

Anyway, cabinet and tank is up... piping 95% done, chiller and sump is in... Desi will prob post the pictures shortly..

:)

• SRC Member

OUR TANK FINALLY CAME!!!! Day 1 OVER!!!! tomorrow to do more wiring, lights and other miscellaneous stuff to complete.. we are keeping our little fingers and toes crossed that tomorrow would also be a good day. :) Here's the setup pics... :P

A portion of the Cabinet came first....

post-12571-1262095017_thumb.jpg

Followed by the TANK and overflow!

post-12571-1262095076_thumb.jpg

1 2 3 HEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-12571-1262095121_thumb.jpg

The top portion of the cabinet

post-12571-1262095153_thumb.jpg

Putting in the sump and refrigum unit

post-12571-1262095182_thumb.jpg

Adding in the DOORS!

post-12571-1262095233_thumb.jpg

Cabinet maker finishing up the job and some of them chatting behind!!!! :) Drinks and offer of chocolates of course provided by me. hahah :) Must give some form of sustenance for their hard work.

post-12571-1262095325_thumb.jpg

Reborn guys Elvin and Ah Boy's turn to put in the equipment, piping and electrical wiring. Elvin is officially the FIRST LIVE speciman in our tank!!!! And here's the pic to prove it! ok you can't see his face but he's the one with the "ARMY" shirt! Very patriotic!

post-12571-1262095497_thumb.jpg

Both hard at work cutting PVC pipes and other stuff for the plumbing.. look at all the equipment on the floor. :).. messy but happy! :))

post-12571-1262095661_thumb.jpg

OUr overflow box with 2 return pipes. WE cut 2 holes at the side of the overflow so that the pipes go right through. Using GF+ plumbing

post-12571-1262095727_thumb.jpg post-12571-1262095769_thumb.jpg

Goes to show that to do up tanks, you need to be SMALL/agile and nimble to climb/ squeeze in to do all the plumbing and Rewiring and SCREWING and gluing and WHAT EVER ELSE! :) HAH. Kudos to the 2 gentleman who did it for us!

post-12571-1262095841_thumb.jpg

END product of TODAY. 2 side views and the short view :)

post-12571-1262095888_thumb.jpg post-12571-1262095897_thumb.jpg post-12571-1262095916_thumb.jpg

Right now we are feeling little bubbles of excitement ......... :P Cant' wait for it to be finished and for the water, sand and ROCK to top it all off and then our self imposed 3 week cycling period!!! WE WILL SURVIVE! :)

Desi and Ketchup.

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• Senior Reefer
Haha... i wish our tank can be 1/2 as nice as yours lehh.. i see all ur corals so nice!

in time to come :) u shouldnt be aiming for a tank like mine. with that set up, go for SPS! LPS and softies are suitible for me because they are practically maintenance free! and ultra forgiving towards a lazy reefer like me ._.

• SRC Member

no experience la lemon.. wait wait.. patience is a virtue.. :P Let us learn the intricacies and temperments of our system before cheonging... although I admit I have already reserved coral at a CERTAIN place... :P STILL.. trying VERY HARD TO TAH HAN!!!!!!!! but but but but but.. sometimes.. it's too difficult to resist!

:P Desi

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• Senior Reefer
no experience la lemon.. wait wait.. patience is a virtue.. :P Let us learn the intricacies and temperments of our system before cheonging... although I admit I have already reserved coral at a CERTAIN place... :P STILL.. trying VERY HARD TO TAH HAN!!!!!!!! but but but but but.. sometimes.. it's too difficult to resist!

:P Desi

good that you develop patience at such an early stage in your reefing life. patience is really the key to success... in this hobby. witnessed many times the total disarray and inevitable failure of a tank from certain impatience. while waiting for everything to be complete and cycling, you can do some fun things like research online for the fishes you might want to keep, corals you might want to keep, plan your rockscape, what kind of rockscape will you like. you can opt for valley, clift face, clearing, etc etc there are tons of possibilities. plan your livestock properly because remember once they go in, its very difficult to get them out. and never blame any livestock for behaving the way they are. many people kill damsels because they are fierce, but that is their nature, and its the owner's fault for not researching.

haha im also very eggcited ;) for you and your husband. hope to see your tank flourish into something cool.

• SRC Member
good that you develop patience at such an early stage in your reefing life. patience is really the key to success... in this hobby. witnessed many times the total disarray and inevitable failure of a tank from certain impatience. while waiting for everything to be complete and cycling, you can do some fun things like research online for the fishes you might want to keep, corals you might want to keep, plan your rockscape, what kind of rockscape will you like. you can opt for valley, clift face, clearing, etc etc there are tons of possibilities. plan your livestock properly because remember once they go in, its very difficult to get them out. and never blame any livestock for behaving the way they are. many people kill damsels because they are fierce, but that is their nature, and its the owner's fault for not researching.

haha im also very eggcited ;) for you and your husband. hope to see your tank flourish into something cool.

Fish list : DONE!!! Corals list : DONE!!! Rockscape : PLANNED! Lifestock timetable to add in : more or less we know! :P

Die... what else to do during the 3 weeks of cycling... LOL Must be able to tolerate the urge to throw stuff in..

already learnt some lessons from the pathetic 2 feet we got the last 2 years so hope to not repeat the same sillly mistakes. I just remember how I had to do a FW dip to my precious little tomato clown to save him from velvet and it will be the memory to stop myself from doing rash things. I recall how happy I was when after 2 weeks of Hypo and FW dips that he/she started to eat when I plonked him back to the main tank, almost CRIED!! LOL

thanks for the advice lemon and everyone else! FINGERS CROSSED STILL!

cheers,

Desi :upsidedown:

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• SRC Member

trust me Lemon.. we are "controlling" very hard to not give in and cross over to the DARK SIDE! hehe... I agree that Marine Tank is a hobby that really requires a lot of patience... Well, hopefully, we can achieve what we set out to achieve... If we can keep this 4 ft for at least 3 years... we may just upgrade to something bigger/nicer if we move to a bigger or more suitable place :) As of now, i am very contented.. and much poorer! LOL

• Senior Reefer
Fish list : DONE!!! Corals list : DONE!!! Rockscape : PLANNED! Lifestock timetable to add in : more or less we know! :P

Die... what else to do during the 3 weeks of cycling... LOL Must be able to tolerate the urge to throw stuff in..

already learnt some lessons from the pathetic 2 feet we got the last 2 years so hope to not repeat the same sillly mistakes. I just remember how I had to do a FW dip to my precious little tomato clown to save him from velvet and it will be the memory to stop myself from doing rash things. I recall how happy I was when after 2 weeks of Hypo and FW dips that he/she started to eat when I plonked him back to the main tank, almost CRIED!! LOL

thanks for the advice lemon and everyone else! FINGERS CROSSED STILL!

cheers,

Desi :upsidedown:

oh gosh u are one excited reefer! completed all those! haha! well learning stuff in this hobby is a never ending journey. i'm still learning, and i have lots more to learn too! have fun lol. go memorise all the fishes to make ID-ing them in LFS easier haha. its really very very useful. corals also. wahaha. like school :/