OMG: Nubi infestation

neokn

haha. Now my Zoas is infected by this nudi too. soo frustrated! gonna dump the whole colony if it get out of control. :peace:

Reefing since 2003
 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Mixed Reef (BB):-
50 Gal Sump,

Apex Controlled System (Lab grade),
Deltec SC1455 Protein Skimmer,
Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,
Hailea HS-66A 1/4HP chiller,
TLF Reactor 150, running HydroCarbon 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Check this link.

Bro Law hit the nail on the head. Prevention is better than cure. Perform dips with either CoralRX or Lugol's solution on all zoas even before you put it in the tank. Inspect thoroughly for eggs and pick them all out. It is a nightmare to deal with them, but with patience and diligence, you will eventually win the battle. Don't give up!

• SRC Member
For everyone viewing pleasure.

So cute and beautiful yet so destructive.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

ahakz! same creature that have been crawling my tank for weeks. plucked them out one by one using tweezers! But some of it looks very colorful.

Reefing since 2003
 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Mixed Reef (BB):-
50 Gal Sump,

Apex Controlled System (Lab grade),
Deltec SC1455 Protein Skimmer,
Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,
Hailea HS-66A 1/4HP chiller,
TLF Reactor 150, running HydroCarbon 

I personally went through rounds of nudi attack.

Tried lugol solution dip, FW dip. They do kill the adult ones, can see them floating around.

Maybe i did not dip with sufficient freq, they always come back every few months.

The FW dip is pretty stressful to the zoas though. Now i give up, let them eat if they want. Stopped buying zoas.

Somehow, i stopped seeing them around, and some of the zoas actually grow back.

End conclusion = give up :pirate:

me too, exactly!

If you are able to see any on the glass, it usually means ur infestation is very bad. Many solutions but most are just fighting losing battle because this nudis breed real fast and they are asexual.

I ensure that all my zoos undergo a 10- 15 mins FW dip before putting into tank but sometimes 1 or 2 very tough one may still hang on and get intro to your tank <_<

• SRC Member

yeah try salifert... or coral RX. but coral RX abit ex to use for whole tank.

1. remove affected colonies dip in fresh water or saltwater with rx (latter is recommended, i used freshwater b4, my zoas all lose e color)

2. nuke e whole tank by soaking in FW

3. restart e tank by throwing out all stuff...

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11

• SRC Member

i wonder how zoas stay away from nudis in their natural habitat? i wonder if the low tide and zoas being exposed to the sun rays actually help to keep them off from these nudis?....probably make a trip to chek jawa to find out since there's a upcoming trip there...haha...anyway i only have a zoa frag..so not a problem for me.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Supporter
i wonder how zoas stay away from nudis in their natural habitat? i wonder if the low tide and zoas being exposed to the sun rays actually help to keep them off from these nudis?....probably make a trip to chek jawa to find out since there's a upcoming trip there...haha...anyway i only have a zoa frag..so not a problem for me.

there are alot of nudis eating stuffs out there.

and these fishes dont get to feed on commercial food like your tank so they go all out to hunt for their food.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

Alternative: Look at the bright side. Change your to be nudi specimen tank! ^_^

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Nudi are a problem and if you happen to hit an infestation, it'll take alot of time and the stress of FW dip also takes its toll on the Zoa.

Wrasse do work but wrasse like the Canary are day worker (sleep in the sand at night) and the nudi mostly are most active at night. The worst thing is that with a small Pico like what I had, you can't put too many fishes in it and wrasse have never been know to be friendly within it's own species anyway, especially in such small enclosure. Fishes also do not disturb nor eat the eggs within the gel-like casing.

Incidentally I notice nudi infect Zoanthus more and I seldom see them on my Palythoa.

Attached are the picture of the type of Nudi that infect my Pico which incidentally crashed after a colony went south after a nudi infestation.

post-13965-1263213319_thumb.jpg

post-13965-1263213341_thumb.jpg

post-13965-1263213351_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member
Nudi are a problem and if you happen to hit an infestation, it'll take alot of time and the stress of FW dip also takes its toll on the Zoa.

Wrasse do work but wrasse like the Canary are day worker (sleep in the sand at night) and the nudi mostly are most active at night. The worst thing is that with a small Pico like what I had, you can't put too many fishes in it and wrasse have never been know to be friendly within it's own species anyway, especially in such small enclosure. Fishes also do not disturb nor eat the eggs within the gel-like casing.

Incidentally I notice nudi infect Zoanthus more and I seldom see them on my Palythoa.

Attached are the picture of the type of Nudi that infect my Pico which incidentally crashed after a colony went south after a nudi infestation.

Sorry to hear that.

So how are you Zoas now?

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

Sorry to hear that, but are you sure its the nudis infection that caused the tank to crash...? Care to share more information?

No, and you're right. The Nudi basically cause the colony of Zoa to stay close (or open just slightly). I don't know specifically how the Nudi is consuming the zoa (I assumed they are) because i can't really see the damage they are doing.

I am quite sure, I over dunk one of the colony for too long in normal tap water (due to frustration) one time too many and one day the polyps started disintegrating and with this amount of water volume I didn't react fast enough I guess (my heart already "sian" half already from the weeks of Nudi fighting which I was definitely not winning). It was a total lost except one Palythoa colony (greenish brown somewhere in the middle of the picture) That was about 10 month ago.

On hindsight, these are the things I would do differently (intend to restart my Pico again hopefully really soon).

1. Frag the infected colony (esp. the more expensive ones), it's easier to ensure smaller colony (7 to 9) polyps is eggs and nudi free compare to those big colony I had.

2. For those bigger colony, a 5 mins FW dip (this kill the babies and adult, you can see them falling out the colony like snow when you invert the colony and shake it under the FW after dipping for 2 or 3 mins.). Next, dry the whole colony in air for about an hour, this should dry up the gel like sac thingy that the Nudi eggs are laid in and hopefully the eggs can be killed in this way. My thoughts (someone also mentioned in this discussion) is that in nature Zoa are from the lower region of the tidal zone, so in "very" low tide they do get exposed to air for a short period of time. This is probably nature's way of getting rid of this pest.

Anyway for expensive colony, I would probably do option one (for backup :rolleyes: )before trying option two :upsidedown: . BUT prevention is still better than cure, so do FW dip for new colony and do a visual inspection for egg sac if possible. QT is best if you have the space and spare equipment. Get a wrasse like the six line, and even if one or two nudi get pass everything you've done, the wrasse will hopefully pick it up.

• SRC Member

- pepermint shrimp also an alternative

- manually removing them, get a dripper and you can suck them into the glass tube. try not to remove by pincer as broken parts will grow into new nudi

after nights off for sometime (1/2 hr), turn on the lights and start the hunt. repeat for a couple of nights :) happy hunting !