Tap Water TDM in various parts of Singapore

jackywongto

Hi all, out of curiousity, just wondering what is the TDM reading for your tap water.

Please help to contribute data if you have a meter.

Choa Chu Kang - 96 ppm

Jurong West - 165 ppm

Clementi - 125 ppm

Bishan - 112 ppm

Bukit Panjang - 92 ppm

cheers

jacky

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Hi all, out of curiousity, just wondering what is the TDM reading for your tap water.

Please help to contribute data if you have a meter.

Choa Chu Kang - 96 ppm

Jurong West - 165 ppm

Clementi - 125 ppm

Bishan - 112 ppm

Bukit Panjang - 92 ppm

Tampines - 111ppm

cheers

jacky

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Choa Chu Kang - 96 ppm

Jurong West - 165 ppm (Jalan Bahar - ~200)

Clementi - 125 ppm

Bishan - 112 ppm

Bukit Panjang - 92 ppm

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

Choa Chu Kang - 96 ppm

Jurong West - 165 ppm (Jalan Bahar - ~200)

Clementi - 125 ppm

Bishan - 112 ppm

Bukit Panjang - 92 ppm

Wow...My TDS reading is still not the worst... :eyeblur:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member

what's tdm and tds? where can i find the readings?

God Blessed all who appreciate His wonderful and beautiful creations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my first reef aquarium 15jan2010

3x2x2ft EOS 10mm tank with sump//deltec sc2060 skimmer//arctica 1/10hp chiller

maxpect g2 170w led//vortech mp40w wavemaker//eheim 1262 universal pump

eheim compact+ 3000 chiller pump//caribsea ocean direct live sands 40lbs

and other misc...

• SRC Member

what's tdm and tds? where can i find the readings?

I think INDIAN CHIEF made a typo error. Should be TDS...or Total Dissolved Solids... :upsidedown:

Use a TDS meter to measure the TDS reading of your tap water. The NTUC housebrand distilled water has TDS reading of 2-3ppm.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

I think INDIAN CHIEF made a typo error. Should be TDS...or Total Dissolved Solids... :upsidedown:

Use a TDS meter to measure the TDS reading of your tap water. The NTUC housebrand distilled water has TDS reading of 2-3ppm.

thanks peter :) but where to buy a tds meter? how much roughly?

and other misc...

• SRC Member

thanks peter :) but where to buy a tds meter? how much roughly?

Do you use the Crystal Pro unit for making DI water for salt mix or you use NSW??? The Crystal pro unit comes with a TDS meter.

Alternatively, you should be able to get a TDS meter at most LFSes. I think AM has one for sale at $45. See the link below.

http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/productsDetail.asp?productid=845

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

Do you use the Crystal Pro unit for making DI water for salt mix or you use NSW??? The Crystal pro unit comes with a TDS meter.

Alternatively, you should be able to get a TDS meter at most LFSes. I think AM has one for sale at $45. See the link below.

http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/productsDetail.asp?productid=845

oh ok, thanks la :)

and other misc...

• SRC Member

Choa Chu Kang - 96 ppm

Jurong West - 165 ppm

Clementi - 125 ppm

Bishan - 112 ppm

Bukit Panjang - 92 ppm

Tampines - 111ppm

AMK ave 9 - 77ppm

But I find it odd that tonight my tap water went below 80, cause there are times I test it and it's 89ppm...

Desi

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member

Choa Chu Kang - 96 ppm

Jurong West - 165 ppm

Jalan Bahar - 200 ppm

Clementi - 125 ppm

Bishan - 112 ppm

Bukit Panjang - 92 ppm

Tampines - 111 ppm

AMK ave 9 - 77 ppm

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

Choa Chu Kang - 96 ppm

Jurong West - 165 ppm

Jalan Bahar - 200 ppm

Clementi - 125 ppm

Bishan - 112 ppm

Bukit Panjang - 92 ppm

Tampines - 111 ppm

AMK ave 9 - 77 ppm

hmmm..

difference between amk ave 9 and bishan is 35ppm when they're just less than 10km apart...

i wonder what would cause the difference in readings all over singapore..

and 200 for jalan bahar?! :shock:

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member

also really depends on the time of the day.

different time on the tap water will have different readings.

and yes, my tap water can hit 200ppm which is why i gave up my crystal pro after just 1 single use.

one water change of about 200 litre can KO 2 resins if im not wrong.

now using RO/DI. so much better interms of money saving.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

also really depends on the time of the day.

different time on the tap water will have different readings.

and yes, my tap water can hit 200ppm which is why i gave up my crystal pro after just 1 single use.

one water change of about 200 litre can KO 2 resins if im not wrong.

now using RO/DI. so much better interms of money saving.

You are quite correct to say that at 200ppm the Crystal Pro DI will last only ard 200L before it KOs. For my case, it lasts ard 240L before it KOs and my tap water is at 165ppm. I'm also changing to a RO/DI unit which I'm getting from US soon.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

I didn't think the Crystal Pro would be so jialat and need frequent replacements. The first round of canisters only lasted me about 3 months before I realised the water had gone up Beyond even my tap water! And after I changed the canisters, it took about 12 hours of slow drip before it went back down to zero.... Guess if this carries on of having to change so frequently, I'd be hopping on the bandwagon of RO/DI as well...

thanx.gif

Desi

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member

I didn't think the Crystal Pro would be so jialat and need frequent replacements. The first round of canisters only lasted me about 3 months before I realised the water had gone up Beyond even my tap water! And after I changed the canisters, it took about 12 hours of slow drip before it went back down to zero.... Guess if this carries on of having to change so frequently, I'd be hopping on the bandwagon of RO/DI as well...

thanx.gif

Desi

Desi, you are lucky that the TDS of your tap water is much lower than mine. If your TDS was 165 ppm, you would be changing your DI catridges every month.

Do take note though that once the Di resin is exhausted and you continue to run water through it, the DI resin will leach all the ions back to your water which makes is doubly bad. This is the information that I got from a supplier of RO/DI units in USA.

I have already changed all the catridges of the Crystal Pro unit twice and I have finally come to the conclusion that it is really too expensive for me to continue changing catridges every 2 months. The worst thing is that the catridges are non refillable so there is no way for me to refill the DI catridges with DI resin either.

I'll probably be receiving my RO/DI unit from US within the next 2 weeks and I've got in a set of replacement catridges and 1.5LB of nuclear DI resin also. The RO/DI unit I'm getting has dual water outlets, 1 for drinking and 1 for aquarium.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Desi, you are lucky that the TDS of your tap water is much lower than mine. If your TDS was 165 ppm, you would be changing your DI catridges every month.

Do take note though that once the Di resin is exhausted and you continue to run water through it, the DI resin will leach all the ions back to your water which makes is doubly bad. This is the information that I got from a supplier of RO/DI units in USA.

I have already changed all the catridges of the Crystal Pro unit twice and I have finally come to the conclusion that it is really too expensive for me to continue changing catridges every 2 months. The worst thing is that the catridges are non refillable so there is no way for me to refill the DI catridges with DI resin either.

I'll probably be receiving my RO/DI unit from US within the next 2 weeks and I've got in a set of replacement catridges and 1.5LB of nuclear DI resin also. The RO/DI unit I'm getting has dual water outlets, 1 for drinking and 1 for aquarium.

Peter, you have pic of the unit you are getting?

Agree, for big tank, need to get more efficient and cost effective models.

Crystal pro probably is more is suitale for smaller tanks. (2 ft and below)

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member

Peter, you have pic of the unit you are getting?

Agree, for big tank, need to get more efficient and cost effective models.

Crystal pro probably is more is suitale for smaller tanks. (2 ft and below)

I would agree that the Crystal Pro is mainly suitable for those with nano tanks, where the water volume is less than 100L. However, in the long run, regardless of small or large tanks, the running costs will still far exceed any RO/DI unit.

The one I'm getting is a portable RO/DI unit with a 100GPD RO membrane. I'll probably post a review of this unit once I get it set up.

Included with the RO/DI unit:

1. In-line 5 micron PP sediment - to remove dirt, sediment, rust and sand particles

2. In-line granular activated carbon post-filter - for pure tasting water

3. 100 GPD RO Membrane Housing

4. Purolite Clear DI (De-Ionized) filter - to remove hard water minerals

5. In-line granular activated carbon post-filter - for pure tasting water

6. TFC (Made in USA) 100 GPD (~ 380L per day) RO Membrane - to remove 98% to 99.99% of all chemical and harmful dissolved elements and 99% of all bacteria

7. Two-Way Switch

8. 5 feet 1/4" tube for Tap Water Incoming

9. 5 feet 1/4" tube for Pure Water Outgoing

10. Flow Restrictor

11. Ball Valve for DI Outlet

post-16747-1269828267086_thumb.jpg

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

I would agree that the Crystal Pro is mainly suitable for those with nano tanks, where the water volume is less than 100L. However, in the long run, regardless of small or large tanks, the running costs will still far exceed any RO/DI unit.

Agree.

The one I'm getting is a portable RO/DI unit with a 100GPD RO membrane. I'll probably post a review of this unit once I get it set up.

Included with the RO/DI unit.

Wah looks so power...... why dun you do a bulk order for this one and help out some of the other bros here if this one is suitable.

LaW, what RO/DI are you using? care to share?

• SRC Member

Agree.

Wah looks so power...... why dun you do a bulk order for this one and help out some of the other bros here if this one is suitable.

LaW, what RO/DI are you using? care to share?

I'm still waiting for some replies from my supplier before I confirm my order and get the unit in. As for bulk orders, I would prefer to use it first and see the performance before I proceed with a bulk order.

Anyway, my unit will be shipped with a set of replacement filters and also a 1.5 LB nuclear DI resin which is certified to certified to NSF/ANSI-61 Standards. The 1.5LB DI resin is sufficient for 4 refills.

post-16747-12698296606059_thumb.jpg

post-16747-12698296719117_thumb.jpg

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

I'm still waiting for some replies from my supplier before I confirm my order and get the unit in. As for bulk orders, I would prefer to use it first and see the performance before I proceed with a bulk order.

Anyway, my unit will be shipped with a set of replacement filters and also a 1.5 LB nuclear DI resin which is certified to certified to NSF/ANSI-61 Standards. The 1.5LB DI resin is sufficient for 4 refills.

sometimes I have the impression that you have a very large storeroom...

• SRC Member

sometimes I have the impression that you have a very large storeroom...

Store room is pretty much standard size for HDB flats. But the DI resin and refill catridges dun take up much space anyway so I will still be able to find somewhere to chuck them in. :upsidedown:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

whats the cost of a RO/DI unit like?

Locally it's probably around 400 and above depending on the type (3,4,5,6 stage, full size (under sink) or portable (table top)), RO membrane used (50G, 75G, 100G, 150G) and of course brand. :whistle

Just take note though that RO/DI filters generate quite a bit of waste water which you will either have to drain away or keep in a bucket for flushing the toilet, mopping the floor, washing clothes, watering your plants etc.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

Hey peter, yeah i'm interested in the RO.DI unit.. I think I saw what you ordered on the marine depot website ....but I will monitor the usage of crystal pro.. if I need to change it soon again, I think I will make the switch as well and sell it off for other peeps with nano tanks rather than keep it.

The costs of the catridges are almost SGD65-70 everytime I change and if I need to change every alternate month all 3 cartridges or even just the 2 resin ones (SGD50 for both), it's certainly UNWORTH It.. for the amount of water I need.

Do let us know your preview on this product and if you wanna bulk order, put me on the list!

Waste water.. i'd use it to mop floor and clean toilet... ;P

Cheers,

Desithanx.gif

Cheers, ;)

Desi