Sign in to follow this  
fooyl

This is Unacceptable and happened at our NLB

This is Totally unacceptable!!

Dear Marine & Reef Lovers,

I am writing this to voice my ultimate displeasure, disappointment and unbelievable to these 2 organizations: National Library Board and Victoria Junior College.

Last week, I think it was Wednesday (31 of March2010) when I visited NLB, Marine Parade branch and I saw a clear fish tank at the first level of the NLB. It caught my eyes not because the fish tank was damned nice but a totally unacceptable setup for this marine fish tank. There are livestock namely clown fish, damsel, corals. about dozen of them in the tank. Guess what kind of equipments to support the life; light and a circulating pump only. I saw this setup and said to myself,”this setup is not going to last. Hopefully they took it down within 3 days.”

Yesterday 7-April 2010, I went to the library. I was shocked to see the fish tank was still there and the water had turned cloudy (see photo). I saw this and my heart ache and I quickly informed the librarian. I told her that the setup was not enough and that all the livestock were dying. The librarian said "Thank you for your feedback". I said some more, she just smiled and said she will informed the party. I rest my case and walked away

See the picture taken all on 7th April 2010

25705_381405533100_760218100_3905677_6533180_n.jpg

25705_381405538100_760218100_3905678_8265164_n.jpg

25705_381405548100_760218100_3905679_325923_n.jpg

25705_381405553100_760218100_3905680_4463423_n.jpg

25705_381405558100_760218100_3905681_2316957_n.jpg

25705_381405563100_760218100_3905682_1404148_n.jpg

So today 8th April 2010, I went back again and hopefully the NLB took actions. What a disappointment!! The tank was there and there were dying fishes!!

I went to the counter again and told the Librarian that the fishes and corals are dying. They are living thing. The librarian looked indifferent and told me that they already informed the school and that the tank is in-charged by the school. So I asked which school in-charged and she said Victoria Junior College. I then told her that NLB and VJC are very irresponsible and walked away.

NLB and VJC are institute for knowledge and imparting responsibilities and this is what they have done! Allowing the fishes and corals to die and pretend nothing wrong!

What happen to our moral, civilized Singaporean? Are we still human?

This is very sad.

So forum users, if you know anyone inside these 2 organizations asked them to do something about it. Their reputation is at stake.

Moderator, I am not sure is this the right place to post this. If not, please help move. TQ

Try putting this on STOMP. That should get someone to move their butts

I find the placard ironic. Marine biology... maybe they are trying to showcase how our natural marine environment are dying due to irresponsible humans....

Bro, get in contact with VJC, stat! This is a complete failure if it is meant to be an educational display. Maybe some volunteers from SRC can go down and show them how it's done. If you need someone to craft an angry email, let me know, I'm on mc today and will be very free to offer my writing services haha.

if you need someone to give them a piece of my mind let me know. this picture sickens me.

if you need someone to give them a piece of my mind let me know. this picture sickens me.

send a post to the NewPaper!

send a post to the NewPaper!

i would rather speak to them in person or tru an e-mail. the bitter irony of putting that sign and then show casing a rotting tank is inconceivable. how sweet it must taste to have a 17 year old moderator inculcate some shame into their brains. joke leh.

wow very disappointing.

Setting up marine biology, what would non reefers think of marine biology, cloudy tank?

Looks like MASS has to put some pressure. :eyebrow:

• Like 1

sweet! up you fuel!! way to go~~

i would rather speak to them in person or tru an e-mail. the bitter irony of putting that sign and then show casing a rotting tank is inconceivable. how sweet it must taste to have a 17 year old moderator inculcate some shame into their brains. joke leh.

If you want to reach out to the mass, NewPaper is the most effective in getting

1) NLB & VJC to recognise their folly and issue an apology.

I always believe that people needs to be responsible for their actions.

This goes to the JC, the NLB and especially the receptionist that was given the feedback to.

Words and feedback from the public has fallen to the deaf ear simply because they think they do not need to be responsible for these lives.

2) re-educate the people on proper marine care.

people who has walked past the tank might not even be on FB but words on TNP definitely gets around.

+1 This is a good chance for MASS to promote the hobby in a positive way! :wub:

it is disturbing to see these.

Okay guys, here's the contact details for the involved parties:

NLB Quality Service Manager:

[email protected]

VJC Principal:

[email protected]

(They are in the public service, all contact details are in the public domain so it's okay to post here)

Feel free to let them know what you think of their very educational and informative display :P

• Like 1

guys, can start shooting emails now. sharp and precise. right on target! hehezz.. :)

Think they will receive a bombardment of email Tml and Monday.. Go Reefers...

Frankly, this should go straight to the papers. A week of getting nothing done, shows a lot about responsibility. These people need to be woken up.

• Like 1

Maybe we should write to ST or TNP? But who?

E-mail sent. the principal should get a nice email whilst sipping her coffee. and hopefully accounce it during assembly.

• Like 1

E-mail sent. the principal should get a nice email whilst sipping her coffee. and hopefully accounce it during assembly.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Frankly, this should go straight to the papers. A week of getting nothing done, shows a lot about responsibility. These people need to be woken up.

agree, send email, they will just patronise you and give you lips service.

even if its an apology, it could be drafted by an admin or secretary with no heartfelt sincerities.

What is the point of sending email then?

send email, they will just patronise you and give you lips service.

even if its an apology, it could be drafted by an admin or secretary with no heartfelt sincerities.

What is the point of sending email then?

i have already e-mailed the principal. see her reply first. if no sincerities i'll go straight to the papers. i don't like VJC.

Bro fooyl,

You can write to straits times forum at [email protected]

As you were the person who the librarian attended to, it would be more appropriate if you could be the one who provides ST forum with the details. They will ask for your I.C and full name for verification. Before they publish they will call you to notify you. :eyebrow: