Sign in to follow this  
fooyl

This is Unacceptable and happened at our NLB

dun bash the public svc lah...they r very efficient already and even bother to reply to u...a few times i sent email to AM, no reply at all...look at the bigger picture...

Oops, I mean generally speaking, I am a typical singaporean who enjoys b--hing about everything under the sun. Of course Ms Yip has done a good job with the prompt reply and actions taken. She even sounds genuinely sincere in the apology :peace:

"revert to you" is not a proper phrase in business communication.

Ah, that makes sense now. I guess it is better than saying "Revert back to you" which I have come across fairly often. Learn something new everyday lol.

Edit: Just found out that "revert" is not used on people. Wow my mind is blown away by this simple catchphrase that I come across everyday. And I am surrounded by editors and proofreaders!

Anyway, VJC replied:

Dear Bino,

Thank you for alerting us to the situation with the marine biology tank.

We share your concern reagrding the welfare of marine life and are sorry for the discomfort this has caused.

We are in the process of investigating the matter together with the Marine Parade Library and will respond to you more fully soon.

Yours sincerely,

Ms Audrey Chen

Vice-Principal

"We are in the process of investigating the matter together.."

now i think VJC and NLB is agruing who shd take the blame and responsiblity...typical working culture of sgp...when shit happens..fingers start to point here n there...

just like when IT guys say: Let me ping you back .........

not a proper phrase but IT folks understand it :)

Ah, that makes sense now. I guess it is better than saying "Revert back to you" which I have come across fairly often. Learn something new everyday lol.

Edit: Just found out that "revert" is not used on people. Wow my mind is blown away by this simple catchphrase that I come across everyday. And I am surrounded by editors and proofreaders!

Anyway, VJC replied:

Dear Bino,

We share your concern reagrding the welfare of marine life and are sorry for the discomfort this has caused.

We are in the process of investigating the matter together with the Marine Parade Library and will respond to you more fully soon.

Yours sincerely,

Ms Audrey Chen

Vice-Principal

english CMI machiaaaaaaam dunno wat sia lol.

"We are in the process of investigating the matter together with the Marine Parade Library and will respond to you more fully soon."

This is from a Junior College vice-principal..... :shock:

Anyway, VJC replied:

Dear Bino,

Yours sincerely,

Ms Audrey Chen

Vice-Principal

it's a misuse. for one thing, 'revert' means differently ... more like "going back" or return into a certain state ... so if she said she will revert to you, it's like saying she will become you Bino :) haha

"We are in the process of investigating the matter together with the Marine Parade Library and will respond to you more fully soon."

This is from a Junior College vice-principal..... shocked.gif

!!! yah... haha.....

Probably because cannot really be bothered to put much thought into drafting a proper response.

Well if cannot be bothered to draft a proper email to respond, then what more can we expect of the investigation..... tongue.gif

it's a misuse. for one thing, 'revert' means differently ... more like "going back" or return into a certain state ... so if she said she will revert to you, it's like saying she will become you Bino :) haha

i learn something new today! :idea:

who would expect a person's name to be bino? Lol.. thats probably why she didnt take it seriously.. hahaha

who would expect a person's name to be bino? Lol.. thats probably why she didnt take it seriously.. hahaha

yeah..n probably she point her middle finger after sending the email...

i believe that the point is taken and a respond was obtained regarding on that matter.

now lets wait further for the further respond/action from them.

it wont be nice emphasiszing their language/word used and setting personal agenda towards it other than just on the intention of the topic alone.

i do believe the word revert used is acceptable.

revert:

1) to return to a former habit, practice, belief, condition, etc.

2) to go back in thought or discussion ===> this one for this case.

some food for thought :peace:

and any reasonable and ethical management will investigate further to prevent their names from going down the drain further. so lets wait.

btw, very nice effort spent fooyl. :bow: you even bother to take the extra steps to notify spca.

Agree, put on stomp or write in the to the newpaper with your pictures.. as we weren't there, we can't write with full justification. :P But we can support you!!!!!!!

this is really @#@#[email protected] up.

:(

Bino,

I am Geneve Yeo, a journalist with The New Paper. I got your email about the Unacceptable "Marine Biology" display at Marine Parade Public Library and I was hoping to get to know more about it from you. Could you give me your phone contact details or call me so I can understand the situation better and I also have some queries for you.

Questions:

1. In your opinion, how should the students have set up the aquarium in the setting of the library so that it would be appropriate?

2. How often and how should the maintenance be done?

3. Do you think the library was an appropriate venue for such an exhibition?

4. Have you seen similar exhibitions to promote marine biology, but done successfully, especially in Singapore? (ie: health of the marine life was not affected and it raised awareness of this cause) What did they do right?

5. I understand that you emailed VJC and the NLB regarding this issue. Did they get back to you?

Also, do you have the contact details and the name of the person who made the original post on the Singapore Reef Club forums? I would also like to speak to the person. It would also be good if you have contact details of others who are passionate about marine biology, so I could get their views too.

Hope you can get back to me soon. Thank you.

Regards,

Geneve Yeo (Miss)

Anyone wants to be the spokesperson to TNP? LOL.

I suggest bro fooyl get back to her as he was our eyeball on the scene who brought this to our attention, then someone from MASS can chip in on responsible reefkeeping and promote better understanding of the hobby :P

PM me for the reporter's contact details, thanks!

Bino,

I am Geneve Yeo, a journalist with The New Paper. I got your email about the Unacceptable "Marine Biology" display at Marine Parade Public Library and I was hoping to get to know more about it from you. Could you give me your phone contact details or call me so I can understand the situation better and I also have some queries for you.

Questions:

1. In your opinion, how should the students have set up the aquarium in the setting of the library so that it would be appropriate?

2. How often and how should the maintenance be done?

3. Do you think the library was an appropriate venue for such an exhibition?

4. Have you seen similar exhibitions to promote marine biology, but done successfully, especially in Singapore? (ie: health of the marine life was not affected and it raised awareness of this cause) What did they do right?

5. I understand that you emailed VJC and the NLB regarding this issue. Did they get back to you?

Also, do you have the contact details and the name of the person who made the original post on the Singapore Reef Club forums? I would also like to speak to the person. It would also be good if you have contact details of others who are passionate about marine biology, so I could get their views too.

Hope you can get back to me soon. Thank you.

Regards,

Geneve Yeo (Miss)

:bow: :bow: :bow:

start to let SRC and MASS be known more.

and to us, its simple to set up a reasonable subtainable tank.

go go Bino-Ranger! :lol:

Way to go BINO!!! Anything you need us to chip in we will! I am in the midst of writing to VJC and NLB to complain too!!! I see this kind of shitty display and I feel sick too.

Tell you what, I'll direct her to this thread, and inform bro fooyl that the reporter wants to speak to him. I'm behind on my work, too much tcss today hahahaha. BRB after I finish my job.

Questions:

you can direct her to this thread and of cos to members of MASS whom have done a great job!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=84104&st=0

Bino!!!!!

bowdown.gif

great job and now we are talking. hopefully an article gets published, the public gets alerted and educated. especially for those project members.

Bino, I reread your original mail and i'm so proud of how you whacked them.. below is my considerably tame e-mail.. LOL

Subject: Failure of a setup

To: [email protected], [email protected]

Date: Friday, April 9, 2010, 8:17 AM

Hi there, I saw a post on the local forum of the upkeep of Marine/Salt Water fish and I am APPALED by the pictures taken of what was purportedly a MARINE Biology Setup in the National Library Marine Parade branch. It seems to me it was more of an example of mismanagement and pollution of the local reefs with the tank being filled with dying fish and corals.

Are you trying to teach visitors the eco diversity of the oceans or are you trying to put a sarcastic stab to the view that we humans are POLLUTING our waters by not taking care of the world's natural resources?

It matters not whether this setup is done by the library or by the Junior college in question but if anyone is going to put a public display, do it right. Kindly do one's research and if it's beyond one's capabilities, then DO NOT do it. This displays reeks of "gungho-ness" and something rushed out without any proper thought process just by looking at the utter disregard for the requirements of actually maintaining a PROPER marine tank.

Whether or not there is a limited budget or experience or whatever reason you may come up with does not warrant a senseless half cooked display with dying specimens inside. By the time whichever organization "reverts" back to my fellow reefer regarding his concerns of this, everything would be dead and the MARINE BIOLOGY set up should then have a change of name to : LIFE after HUMANS. I do hope there is some logical explanation to this and I will be most glad to hear of it. My mobile number is below for you to call should you wish to explain yourselves!

Appalled,Goh Jane Lee.

• Like 1

ok. I better not step on you guys toes...... scary........

esp desi's toes or finger nails...i think if i ever do that (touch wood 10xs)...i will need to migrate