SPS and angels/butterflies

Hi guy just to share some of my few mth experience on SPS and angel from different family.

Up to date, I have a few kind of angel all from different family.

Flame Angelfish - Centropyge loricula

Bellus Angel - Genicanthus bellus

King Angel - Holacanthus passer

Cortez Angel - Pomacanthus zonipectus

Blue Faced Angel - Pomacanthus (Euxiphipops) xanthometopon

Regal Angel - Pygoplites Diacanthus

Hmmm in general, they are quite reef safe in my almost full SPS tank except for the King Angel - Holacanthus passer, it will actually nip on the flesh of my monti causing it to be botak. Although I feed my tank quite heavily everyday, Dr G food twice a day, 4 cube of mysis everyday and random feeding of pellet. I think maybe is the itch mouth of the King angel, but haha it is still a beauty and I dun mind lossing some monti. So for people with full SPS tank and dun want to loss any gem then try to avoid the Holacanthus family. :cheers:

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi guy just to share some of my few mth experience on SPS and angel from different family.

Up to date, I have a few kind of angel all from different family.

Flame Angelfish - Centropyge loricula

Bellus Angel - Genicanthus bellus

King Angel - Holacanthus passer

Cortez Angel - Pomacanthus zonipectus

Blue Faced Angel - Pomacanthus (Euxiphipops) xanthometopon

Regal Angel - Pygoplites Diacanthus

Hmmm in general, they are quite reef safe in my almost full SPS tank except for the King Angel - Holacanthus passer, it will actually nip on the flesh of my monti causing it to be botak. Although I feed my tank quite heavily everyday, Dr G food twice a day, 4 cube of mysis everyday and random feeding of pellet. I think maybe is the itch mouth of the King angel, but haha it is still a beauty and I dun mind lossing some monti. So for people with full SPS tank and dun want to loss any gem then try to avoid the Holacanthus family. :cheers:

actually, from what I've seen, the main thing these angels are trying to get at are the mucus secreted by the sps coral polyps, must taste really good I suppose...

I couldn't agree more! Well said.

Last month i bought beutifull (large) P.navarchus (or is it now E.navarchus?)... This angel is stunning! It took me a whole week just to acclimatize this semi-adult fish to my mostly SPSP dominated reef, and my Zebrasoma xanturum didn't help too much with it.

Nowdays Majestic angel swims and eats with other tankmates, and my polyp expansion isn't as good as it used to be - but who cares?! Angel nips at polyps some time, maybe he nips at slime, as LemonLemon stated above, but truth is this amazing fish can be kept in SPS tank, IMHO.

My advice to ppl who want to have large angels in their reef is: buy the fish when you have large specimens of Acropora in your tank and enjoy in your new angelfish!

the majestic angel is truly majestic. From my years of reef keeping, it seems that the sharper-mouthed angels have a greater propensity to peck at corals as they swim past. So I'd suggest having a strong flow to keep them off balance

Bros/Sis,

I was so inspired by Iwarna's angels swimming in their sps display tank that I got meself an insanely beautiful 5-6" Caribbean Queen (from mouth to ends of dorsal filaments).

It is now in my 4 ft but shallow ATS tank for QT. It eats pellets greedily 5 mins upon introduction. As I have a 9' SPS dominated tank, I am very tempted to place it there for the long term. However, the SPS tank also has some sponges, lobos, 1 trachy, sea squirts, cloves, duncan, rics, zoas, clams, rhodactis, favites, candycane, etc.

The question is, will it cause real harm to the LPS if I introduce it say two weeks down the road after fattening it up on live, frozen, pellet, nori and flake foods?

I heard that well fed fish normaly leave corals alone...how?

I can also put it in my FOWLR tank but that tank is not so well lit and water not as pristine as my reef tank and I really want the best for the queen....

Any advice please?

Worried....

Thanks!

well my uncle kept 8 angels in his lps dominated tank and trained them to eat their fill on pellets and flakes. But I don't think it's worth the risk though, especially when your corals are seasoned. It's just a natural reflex for the angels to take a nibble at your corals and sponges, since their diet in the wild consists of sponges, tunicates, sponges etc.

not suprising. have seen queen angels rip off large chunks of lobos and pratas, sometimes even breaking the calcium skeleton beneath. it's safe to say that holacanthus sp. and pomacanthus sp are not safe with LPS. but it's a different story with SPS. they are usually very safe and don't bother SPS much.

haha the bigger the angel, the more belligerent!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Senior Reefer

As a rule, big angels should not be trusted with LPS. If you want to try then you must be willing to take risk. If you love your corals more than the fish then don't. Because if you regret then catching it out will be tough.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • src unpinned this topic