Reefsafe angelfishes? Look here

Paracentropyge

Peppermint Angel - Centropyge boylei

HAHAHA. This angel will cost more than any LPS you ever buy. Better feed LPS to it i say! It's worthy

Multibar Angel - Paracentropyge multifasciatus

Difficult fish. Safe with SPS. With caution when keeping with LPS. they do nip. but i'm unsure of the ratio.

bro,

is Paracentropyge venusta/venustus (Purple Masked Angelfish, Venustus Pygmy Angel) reef safe?

• Senior Reefer

bro,

is Paracentropyge venusta/venustus (Purple Masked Angelfish, Venustus Pygmy Angel) reef safe?

yes to a large extent.

these fishes are not difficult to keep but very difficult to adapt.

if acquired a healthy specimen that adapt fast, they make very hardy pets.

but 90% of them don't eat and don't adapt, and die very quickly.

• 1 year later...

My tank is 3'x2'x2 with 1 queen angel, blue face angel, flame angel, majestic angel, comet grouper , yellow tang, blue tang, scarlet hogfish, two damsels and clown fish.

I plan to convert to a reef tank with some corals and a clam.

What are the fishes I need to get rid off? (as little as possible)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
My pleasure. I'm still hoping and waiting for someone who is successful with a bandit angel to share his story with us esp temp and feeding issue.
I do not know if 13 months is successful. I have a bandit now for 13 months it was directly imported from Hawaii a 37 hour flight at 7cm. The fish came in with 12kg water. I started quarantining it directly with the bucket method. It only started eating on day 5. It was eating only floating pellets ( small new live spectrum ) then it started eating ocean nutrition pellets. On day 7 it started eating frozen mysis ocean nutrition then on day 8 I moved her to my tank not long after that she was eating angel formula. She started showing sighs of flukes then I put her threw 4 weeks prazipro . She is eats every thing now even nori but pellets are what she likes most and only ocean nutrition pellets not other makes. In the morning she gets formula 1 pellets and nori in the evenings she gets angel formula frozen then one of the following clam on half shell or mysis or krill or mussel after one of them formula 2 pellets. I keep the tank under 24c temp in summer in winter i let it drop to as low as 22c My bandit is extremely aggressive for a bandit I think that helps a lot even chasing my 13cm black tang my bandit is now just over 9cm

• 2 weeks later...

and then if you have big angels, though the angels are good natured in helping to clean off algae, they will not be very precise and thus nip off some surrounding tissue too. So if you have delicate frags, best to put them in a frag rack, and out of the biting zone of these big guys

as for the small angles of centropyge, I agree with the main article's description of their reef safe-ness. Generally quite benign unless you happen to buy bad natured specimens. since they like to feed on filamentous surface algae, they can supplement the cleaning crew in most tanks

One more note about the genicanthus angels- I must caution against saying they are absolutely reef safe. My bellus angel started out being benign, until it discovered it's inner animal instinct (or something visceral) and then took a nip here, and a nip there.

So what this does is firstly create a situation of receding coral tissue (especially of my open brain, scoly, etc), exacerbated by reduced chance for the coral to regenerate. What's worse, even if it does, the colour is often not the same as the original

• 6 months later...
  • SRC Member

Good Info! Ups for you bro!

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• 5 months later...
  • SRC Member

If my golden angel has started developing a taste for open brains, but has left other LPS alone, what are the odds he will expand his tastes to other LPS after I remove the open brains? My concern is mainly the Euphyllia sp. corals like bubbles, frogspawn etc.

I have try many time to keep golden angel in fowlr tank, it is difficult to get golden angel to feed in fowlr tank. I head only possible is to keep it in coral tank and let them eat some corals.

Other method seems have very little success in keeping golden angel.

If you have not get it to feed on pellet, it will eat other corals if you remove the brain.

If my golden angel has started developing a taste for open brains, but has left other LPS alone, what are the odds he will expand his tastes to other LPS after I remove the open brains? My concern is mainly the Euphyllia sp. corals like bubbles, frogspawn etc.

I do not know if 13 months is successful. I have a bandit now for 13 months it was directly imported from Hawaii a 37 hour flight at 7cm. The fish came in with 12kg water. I started quarantining it directly with the bucket method. It only started eating on day 5. It was eating only floating pellets ( small new live spectrum ) then it started eating ocean nutrition pellets. On day 7 it started eating frozen mysis ocean nutrition then on day 8 I moved her to my tank not long after that she was eating angel formula. She started showing sighs of flukes then I put her threw 4 weeks prazipro . She is eats every thing now even nori but pellets are what she likes most and only ocean nutrition pellets not other makes. In the morning she gets formula 1 pellets and nori in the evenings she gets angel formula frozen then one of the following clam on half shell or mysis or krill or mussel after one of them formula 2 pellets. I keep the tank under 24c temp in summer in winter i let it drop to as low as 22c My bandit is extremely aggressive for a bandit I think that helps a lot even chasing my 13cm black tang my bandit is now just over 9cm

Hi Yuri,

My comments for bandit being a difficult angel was made 4 yrs ago which is now not valid. Back then, properly collected bandits were scarce.

Today conditioned bandits that are collected and acclimated carefully are readily available and in smaller sizes.

Locally in singapore we are not short of healthy thriving bandits.

In recent two years, many reefers have enjoyed success with bandits and it is now lifted off the "difficult" angelfish list.

Personally i have not yet tried to keep another bandit despite seeing so many small-medium sizes readily available.

Probably because it has become abit too"easy" and "common" and i have lost the interest to try one.

• 3 months later...

I almost want to put up this question "What angel is reefsafe?"

Then I saw it.

Thank You for the info.

But look like there is no LPS and softies safe angel?

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

Hi all, just introduced a flame angel into my tank. After few days, noticed my digi poly all retracted. After few days of monitoring, confirmed my angel is the culprit. Just my luck!

Up coming project:

5' x 2.5' x 2.5' Mix Reef Tank

• 2 years later...

Thank for the information. I heard coral beauty and flame angel will nip at corals on a small tank (30 gallon and below) unless we keep them well fed. Is this true? any other advise?

• src unpinned this topic