Tench1's Reefing log

tench1

My Reefing log! ~ all are welcome! Keep the comments coming!

Currently in planning and design stage, would like to share my thoughts. Feel free to drop any msg or comment. Would love to hear from diff views/angles.

Initial idea was to do a 3ft by 3ft by 2.5ft tank with sump tank.

But after thinking through, perhaps, 3ft by 2.5ft by 2ft will be sufficent to have a reef tank.

The display area will be 3x2x2. and the remaining .5ft will be for hiding all my pipes and overflow to sump partition.

Enough of saying, i had done up a sketch, influenced by SiS Ming, as per attached below;

Design 1

34327_404493774598_673354598_4536865_2351420_n.jpg

Design 2

34327_404493779598_673354598_4536866_6532583_n.jpg

After the central overflow, the water runs down to my sump.

Key Objectives of my sump;

1. Mechanical Filter (Filter Sock, Live Rocks, Bio Homes, Carbon/PO4 remover)

1.1. Chiller Pump Area (!/5 HP chiller)

2. ATI BM 250 Skimmer (To maintain water level for constant skimming.)

3. Holding area / Aclimisation area for new Fishes or Frags

4. Refuge Area for growing Chaeto / Bamboos /pods, Further reducing nitrates and other nutrients (4xT5 2ft Hopar Lights for providing artifical sunlights)

5. Return Reservior, housed a Eheim 1262

6. Freshwater Reservior for Auto-TOPup to Return Resevior (Hence, keeping constant Return Reservior level)

Note:

Currently not planning to use FR or other equipments, as budget is damn low, and to opt for 2nd hand equipment to save the earth.

Heres the illustration..

37516_405668414598_673354598_4565457_698552_n.jpg

• SRC Supporter

What software did you use to prepare this drawing ? The main tank deisgn look nice, but the sump seem a little bit of too many compartment lol !! You might face micro bubble with such design when the water is passing thru ...

Prehapes you might also want to consider have two return pump with two outlet instead of one for better spread of flow? Cos in the event of one pump breakdown there is still one more as a backup too ?

Secondly, you refurgium compartment seem a little small for a DSB or planting marine algae for nutrient export to be effective.

larry, haha thanks for your compliment. Im using google sketch. You might want to try this out.

Well, DSB arent for me. im not gg into sand in the sump.

Just be growing chaeto and bamboo.

2 x return pump? i think i just add another wavemaker in the display, so that i can point/direct the flow i want in a certain direction. Return pump cant do that.

• 4 weeks later...

My thought is that your sump design is kinda complicated... Too many compartments liao.. Maybe you can work out with your tankmaker on the design..

I dun see a buffer from refugium to your return pump.. there is a possibility there will be microbubble problem.. Other than that.. It seems fine..

Very curious, how you going to do the DIY wavebox... :thumbsup:

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Thanks for taking time to review my design bro. Yeah, its kinda complicated, too ambitious to achieve everthing wthin the small sump area. Noted on the mircobubbles issue... will touchup on that area.

As for the DIY wavebox, ya, thats the complicated portion which i have yet to decide whether to go ahead of not. haha.

• 2 months later...

Im too waiting eagerly for the day to arrive.

However, im pondering on the following;

- Salt mix's brand (Decided on Red Sea Pro) Going to test the parameters of this brand

- Live sand, White or Black????

To match my funitures, My Cabinet formica is going to be black with black oyama as backdrop... Will having black sand looks very dull?

Any comments? :wacko:

Im too waiting eagerly for the day to arrive.

However, im pondering on the following;

- Salt mix's brand (Decided on Red Sea Pro) Going to test the parameters of this brand

- Live sand, White or Black????

To match my funitures, My Cabinet formica is going to be black with black oyama as backdrop... Will having black sand looks very dull?

Any comments? :wacko:

It will become dull like my tank... LOL!!

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

:blink:

i would

get cheap salt since i'm only cycling the tank.

i kinda like black sand cause it looks zen and when algae grows it wont look as "dirty" as white, but currently im using white natural looking.

Black sand

I cant visiblily observe the dirt and will need silphoning. I will gradually become lazy and ignore silphoning! :blink:

It really looks cool with the zen look, and there had been also discussion about black sands keeping the tank cooler :)

But sad to say, its damn hard to find 1 good FTS from the net with black sandbed :angry2: