live rotifer. Where to get?

weesy74

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I got from them. But no chance to use it as this pair are baby killers! 3rd batch now. Hope they hatch. I think can keep in fridge for 2-3 days? Not too sure. Trying to cultivate them but with no success.

I think it is quite simple to culture them, Bubble them to keep them in suspension and feed Nannochloris algae everyday and adjust accordingly the amount of algae you feed them..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Thats what I did. Both times failed. see them at the bottom of the tank after a while. SG 1.17. Maybe I bubble too hard. Water at room temp and tank got no additional lights.

Any pointers? :)

How big is the tank.. Normally they will culture them in 1.5ltr bottle???

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

How much phytoplankton do you feed per day? Live or Instant Algae?

From my limited knowledge, you do not need light to culture rotifer unless you are using live phytoplankton. Just ensure that the water is slightly green at all times. Since you are keeping it at room temperature, did you do any water changes? The culture water is pretty dirty if you do not carry out water changes since the metabolism rate is high. It is recommended to harvest about 30% of the culture everyday to ensure optimum density and water quality.

It may be a typo but specific gravity of 1.17 is too high but 1.017 is fine :friends:

• Like 1

How much phytoplankton do you feed per day? Live or Instant Algae?

From my limited knowledge, you do not need light to culture rotifer unless you are using live phytoplankton. Just ensure that the water is slightly green at all times. Since you are keeping it at room temperature, did you do any water changes? The culture water is pretty dirty if you do not carry out water changes since the metabolism rate is high. It is recommended to harvest about 30% of the culture everyday to ensure optimum density and water quality.

It may be a typo but specific gravity of 1.17 is too high but 1.017 is fine :friends:

Yah. It is a typo. Thanks for all the input. Will try again. Upz for all the help.

event.png