Sign in to follow this  
FuEl

Captive-bred marine fishes banned for import?

Dear Reefers,

Kindly read point 2.3.2.3 in the following link:

http://www.ava.gov.sg/NR/rdonlyres/111633E4-E5F0-4FAA-98E1-DFE0D27579BE/17432/OFHCrequirements13Jul2010.pdf

If I am reading it correctly, it states that only wild-caught fish shipments will be allowed for import.

If it's true, this is an unfortunate and stupid decision. How is the marine aquarium hobby to become sustainable with the government encouraging capture of wild fish all the time? Say goodbye to ORA shipments..

Dear Reefers,

http://www.ava.gov.sg/NR/rdonlyres/111633E4-E5F0-4FAA-98E1-DFE0D27579BE/17432/OFHCrequirements13Jul2010.pdf

If I am reading it correctly, it states that only wild-caught fish shipments will be allowed for import.

If it's true, this is an unfortunate and stupid decision. How is the marine aquarium hobby to become sustainable with the government encouraging capture of wild fish all the time? Say goodbye to ORA shipments..

That is stupid, How are we conserving the environment when we are always taking from Mother Nature and Captive breeding is not being enouraged...

2.3.2.3 The fish are wild caught and have not been bred or hatched on a farm or other premises.

why come out with this stupid rule?! :thumbdown:

Dear Reefers,

Hi there,

I think this might be a little unclear as to what it is meant to cover. This is a health check form for all imports of wild caught fish, which is why point 2.3.2.3 clear states they must be wild and not farmed.

Farmed and wild fish (in other countries I know not 100% sure in Sin) Have very different process for import and export and I would guest that this form is only for Wild fish.

To have a clearer picture you will need to get someone who deals with imports explain the details.

That my thought from reading this.

Thanks

• Like 1

1.2 Health certificates are required for every shipment of ornamental fish imported into Singapore which are either susceptible1 or can act as vector to the following disease(s):

2.3.1 Health attestation that the fish in the consignment are free from the diseases listed under paragraph 1.2 as follows:

2.3.2.3 The fish are wild caught and have not been bred or hatched on a farm or other premises.

they are not banning them. just health regulations for wild caught fishes if i'm not wrong.

Read

Section 2.3.2 Additional health requirements for consignment(s) containing marine ornamental fish:

With rules being laid out like this, I would be very concerned. It is in effect omitting all captive-bred fish as marine ornamental imports. Even if the authorities do not mean it to be so, that is how the rules read.

just sounds to me like

additional health requirements for marine fishes > wild caught fishes not bred in farms.

doesn't sound to me like they are banning them at all.

just needs more health requirements for marine fishes that care captured from the wild. farm raised ones probably don't need the extra health requirement since they are captive bred.

AVA provide contact points for those who need clarifications...

"For clarification, please contact Mr Poh Yew Kwang (tel: +65 6751 9802) or Mr Lester Lee (tel: +65 6751 9827)."