Reef safe butterflyfish.

yikai

• Senior Reefer

As requested from one of the forum members, here's a list of all potential butterflies that can go into a reef tank.

Just a short introduction before I begin.

Butterflyfishes are beauties that are very often mis-understood. The common misconception is that all are difficult, and all are not reef safe. This archaic ideology must stop because there is nothing more wrong and unjustifiable than that!

Butterflies do best in a reef tank because of the ample live rocks, good water quality from reef tanks and good circulation. However, not all are suitable for the reef tank because of their destructive coral eating habits.

However, not all are like that and there are a few handful that do very well in reef tanks and keep their nipping at bay. Butterflies add natural grace to any reef tank. As an avid fish lover, you would imagine my tank to be filled with angels and butterflies and the like. But wrong. I am also a coral person and i love corals. LPS, SPS, softies. So then how is it possible to have the best of both worlds?

By selecting carefully and deciding which fish is suitable. Also by taking some educated calculated risk.

Here's a list of the most reef safe butterflies that can be added to your beautiful SPS or LPS tank.

For the first time in SRC history, a thread with the word butterfly and reef that is mentioned together will be featured. And i hope after this useful thread, butterflies will at least show more popularity and become more widely accepted in the near future.

A gentle reminder.

All butterflyfishes, regardless of hardiness, are very prone to white spots. they are like tangs in terms of disease resistance. As such, do not buy too many butterflies at once or a serious white spot outbreak can occur, like tangs. Best to quarantine them if you can, or just treat them how you would, an AT, or a PBT.

Willingness to feed depends on tank mates and environment. If the tank has many boisterous fishes and fast, active feeders, the butterfly make take a longer time to settle in, or if it is being bullied, will not feed at all and die. Butterflies are sensitve, peaceful creaturs. If bullied and harass, they stand little chance.

• Senior Reefer

The Pyramid butterflies.

Genus : Hemitaurichthys

This genus comprise of four species, two of which are commonly offered in the hobby. The pyramid butterflies are open water plankton feeders that rarely feed off the rocks. They swim high in the water column in schools and feed solely on zooplankton and floating crustaceans.

Think of them as big anthias.

As such, they are extremely reef safe. You will seldom find them venturing anywhere near the rocks of your corals. These are 2 of the 3 butterflies that are 100% reef safe.

Reef Safe quality : 100%

Hardiness : 4 out of 5

The pyramid butterflies are very easy to feed and will begin feeding on frozen preparations quickly. Soon, they will adapt to dry food. Bear in mind, they grow very quickly!

Best kept in a small group in a large tank.

There are two spcecies commonly offered.

The yellow pyramid butterfly (Hemitaurichthys polylepis)

hemitaurichthyspolylepi.jpg

And the black pyramid butterfly (Hemitaurichthys zoster)

p1070905.jpg

• Senior Reefer

The longnosed Butterflies.

Genus : Forcipiger

This genus consists of two species. The yellow longnosed butterflyfish, and the long-long nosed butterflyfish. Most people do not know that there are two very similar looking species! But the difference is subtle. Frilly looking and delicate, these are some of nature's hardiest butterflies! If a healthy and fat specimen is acquired, they will begin feeding almost immediately. This is one of the most misunderstood butterflies.

It is often said that the longer the nose, the more harmful it is, as the "nose" is used to pick out coral polyps. This is highly erroneous! The long tubular mouth parts are made to pick out tiny worms and invertebrates living in rocks and amongst coral polyps. The mouth parts are very delicate and coral polyps are not part of the diet.

As such, they are very reef safe. However, feather worms will be destroyed. the long-long nosed butterflyfish is the 3rd of the 3 100% reef safe butterflies. The yellow long nosed butterfly is less reef safe, but still score a very high rating.

Reef safe quality : Long-long nosed butterfly 100%, Yellow long nose butterfly : 95%

Hardiness : Due to the longer snout of the long-long nosed butterfly, it is harder to feed and score a 3/5. The yellow long nosed butterfly is a ridiculously hardy fish contrary to appearance, and will begin feeding on frozen mysis or brine shrimp almost immediately after shipping. Score for hardiness 5/5. This is provided fat, full bodied healthy specimens are bought. Avoid thin and emaciated ones as these do not have enough fat reserves and die quickly.

Meet the species.

The long long nosed butterfly (Forcipiger longirostris) has an obviously, much longer snout. It also has a black mask that covers the whole eye, and also the presence of fine spots on the chest. This species is rare.

99818529.jpg

The regular yellow long nosed butterfly (Forcipiger flavissimus) has a shorter snout, a black mask that covers only half the eye, and the absence of fine spots on the chest. it is much easier to feed and is more common.

forcipigerflavissimus.jpg

• Senior Reefer

The coral fishes, made famous by the Copperband butterflyfish.

Genus : Chelmon

No other butterfly is probably as famous as the Copperband butterflyfish, which hails from the genus Chelmon. Not many know that this genus boast of two other very rare cousins of the copperband butterflyfish, making the number in this small family, three!

Famed for eating aiptasia, these group of butterflies are very reef safe. Due to their elongated snout, invetribrates and tiny crustacean living in rocks are their preferred choice of food. However, the odd one may nip on some soft corals, clams or LPS. They are not 100% reef safe, but safe enough to be added to a reef tank without fear.

Reef safe qualities : All three members rate a high score of 85-90%.

Hardiness : Copperbands are sensitive and difficult to settle down, as such, a rating of 3/5 is given. However, the two other fishes from this genus, the Margined coral fish (Chelmon marginalis) and the Muller's butterflyfish (Chelmon muelleri), rate a high score of 4/5, often settling down and feeding very readily on frozen food and mysis. Due to their small mouths, pellets are not easily accepted, so frozen food is best.

The copperband butterflyfish (Chelmon rostratus). The most commonly available species in this genus. Difficult to feed, but very safe with corals and a true beauty!

275154739711a94b04d.jpg

The Marginalis butterflyfish (Chelmon marginalis). This rare butterflyfish looks identical to a copperband, except it is missing the middle bar and the eye spot. Found only in Australia, this fish has only been brought in to Singapore once and it is very very rare to find it here. Very much hardier than the Copperband, it will begin feeding on mysis shrimp soon.

chelmonmarginalisct.jpg

The Muller Butterflyfish (Chelmon muelleri). This is also an Australian endemic, like the marginalis butterfly. It has not been brought into Singapore before and like the marginalis, it is easy to get feeding. Very rare in the market due to it's unpopularity as a drab fish.

meuller62.jpg

• Senior Reefer

The atlantic beauties of the deep.

Genus : Prognathodes

The genus Prognathodes boasts of 11 known species and 1 undescribed species. They are, P. marcellae, P. aya, P. guyanensis, P. carlhubbsi, P. dichrous, P. obliquus, P. brasiliensis, P. aculeatus, P. basabei, P. guyotensis, P. guezei and P. falcifer. The last is an undescribed species.

Out of all 12 species, only P. marcellae is available locally through African shipments. P. aya, P. guyanensis, P. brasiliensis and P. aculeatus are all available but have not reached our local market yet. All are atlantic species, and P. guyanensis is the rarest of this batch and most expensive, at over 1k.

P. falcifer, P. carlhubbsi, P. obliquus, P. basabei and P. dichrous are all unobtainable and are super rare.

The last two, P. guyotensis and P. guezei are so rare and live so deep, that no proper picture has ever been taken of them. Making their rarity so legendary that words nor pictures can describe it.

Reef safe Quality : 80%. This group of butterflies are mainly deep water species that do not see or eat much corals in the wild. They behave themselves very well in the reef tank.

Hardiness : Fortunately, they are quite hardy and will feed on mysis shrimp sooner or later. A dim tank is best for them but they can adapt to higher brighter reef quality lighting.

Only P. marcellae is available readily locally, so I will only show the photo of this. The other members are extremely beautiful and google images have plenty of images as well as photos of them all! Do take a look at this gorgeous and unique family of fish.

marusera.jpg

• Like 1

• Senior Reefer

The gorgeous allopatric butterflies of the "Tinkeri complex".

Genus : Chaetodontidae, subfamily (Roaps).

The Roaps butterflies are my favourite. All are super beautiful and as hardy as damsels. These are some of natures best kept secrets. Deep dwelling denizens that do not appear frequently in the trade, but when they do, they are quick to go. Very easy and hardy, almost always do they start feeding minutes after arrival. They take shipping very well and because of their wide range of foods in the wild, are not fussy with aquarium foods.

This genus boasts of 5 beautiful gorgeous species. 4 of which are available, and one is unobtainable.

They are, Chaetodon burgessi, C. declivis, C. mitratus, C. tinkeri and the unobtainable one that lives in Guam, C. flavocoronatus.

Reef safe qualities : These are deep dwelling butterflies that feed on a whole variety of things in the wild. Because of their varied diet, corals are part of it. However, they are reef safe to a certain extent like dwarf angels, and i rate them 50% based on personal experience. They have a very itchy mouth and like nipping on the slime of SPS. Do not fret, because a little harmless nipping can't and won't do any harm! Nip away! This genus is like dwarf angels and only keep them if you are willing to take some calculated risk.

Hardiness : As hardy as any butterfly can get. All will start feeding immediately and are very greedy. 5/5!

C. burgessi, the Burgess butterflyfish, is available with some regularity from Philippine shipments. The black and white contrast is very beautiful.

00566large.jpg

C. declivis, the Declivis butterflyfish, is also another butterfly that is available with some regularity. It is imported in via Hawaii shipments. Very hardy as well and a beautiful fish!

cpbutterflydeclivis.jpg

C. mitratus, the Mitratus butterflyfish, is a rarity from the Indian ocean. It is imported in via Maldive shipments and is very uncommon. It is a beautiful species that has bold yellow and black markings, unlike the others which are usually white and black.

lg68078mitratusbutterfl.jpg

C. tinkeri, the Tinker's Butterflyfish, is another rarity hailing from Hawaii shipments. It's pearly white body and striking dark black oblique back makes a bold and daring statement. Reefers who are willing to pay the hefty price tag are rewarded with a beautiful, hardy and rewarding fish!

383842869755328eb0b1.jpg

• Senior Reefer

That sums up my dummies guide to reef safe butterflies.

The family is very big with many many many species, and there are more "reef safe" ones from the genus Roa for example. But these genus are very very rare and never available to us, so i did not list them down.

I hope the mini guide above is useful and will help you in your future decision if you ever look at a butterfly. And i hope after this thread, butterflies will be looked at in a different light!

• Like 1

A real SUPER guide reference!! Coolest! Thanks Lemon(x2).

:ThanxSmiley::groupwavereversed:

Main Tank: 3ft x 2ft x 2ft

Sump Tank: 2ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft

Overflow Pump: 4500 l/hr

Lighting: T5 HO Metal Halide

Wavemaker: MP40w

Skimmer: BK Mini 200

Chiller: Arctica DBM-250 1/3hp

Phosphate Reactor: TLF Phosban 150

• 10 months later...

The coral fishes, made famous by the Copperband butterflyfish.

Genus : Chelmon

No other butterfly is probably as famous as the Copperband butterflyfish, which hails from the genus Chelmon. Not many know that this genus boast of two other very rare cousins of the copperband butterflyfish, making the number in this small family, three!

Famed for eating aiptasia, these group of butterflies are very reef safe. Due to their elongated snout, invetribrates and tiny crustacean living in rocks are their preferred choice of food. However, the odd one may nip on some soft corals, clams or LPS. They are not 100% reef safe, but safe enough to be added to a reef tank without fear.

Reef safe qualities : All three members rate a high score of 85-90%.

Hardiness : Copperbands are sensitive and difficult to settle down, as such, a rating of 3/5 is given. However, the two other fishes from this genus, the Margined coral fish (Chelmon marginalis) and the Muller's butterflyfish (Chelmon muelleri), rate a high score of 4/5, often settling down and feeding very readily on frozen food and mysis. Due to their small mouths, pellets are not easily accepted, so frozen food is best.

The copperband butterflyfish (Chelmon rostratus). The most commonly available species in this genus. Difficult to feed, but very safe with corals and a true beauty!

275154739711a94b04d.jpg

The Marginalis butterflyfish (Chelmon marginalis). This rare butterflyfish looks identical to a copperband, except it is missing the middle bar and the eye spot. Found only in Australia, this fish has only been brought in to Singapore once and it is very very rare to find it here. Very much hardier than the Copperband, it will begin feeding on mysis shrimp soon.

chelmonmarginalisct.jpg

The Muller Butterflyfish (Chelmon muelleri). This is also an Australian endemic, like the marginalis butterfly. It has not been brought into Singapore before and like the marginalis, it is easy to get feeding. Very rare in the market due to it's unpopularity as a drab fish.

meuller62.jpg

You forget to tell that both Marginalis and Mulleri are from moderate water mainly....

Guess that could not be found on the internet during your survey....

Mulleri is NOT a strong fish and Marginalis is even very hard to keep... Not copied from the internet but by own experience over all the decades.... First of said species entered into the European market in the late 70',by me...

Both fish for EXPERTS ONLY...

The MAJORITY on keeping Marine Ornamental Fish published on the entire internet is sheer NONSENSE except when written by a well known marine Hobbyist or Scientist...

People tend to copy done literary everything and rewrite somewhat to give it a "life of it own"...

• Senior Reefer

You forget to tell that both Marginalis and Mulleri are from moderate water mainly....

Guess that could not be found on the internet during your survey....

Mulleri is NOT a strong fish and Marginalis is even very hard to keep... Not copied from the internet but by own experience over all the decades.... First of said species entered into the European market in the late 70',by me...

Both fish for EXPERTS ONLY...

The MAJORITY on keeping Marine Ornamental Fish published on the entire internet is sheer NONSENSE except when written by a well known marine Hobbyist or Scientist...

People tend to copy done literary everything and rewrite somewhat to give it a "life of it own"...

i've kept marginalis two times.

they are very much easier than rostratus and feed instantly on frozen. and out of the batch of more than 10 pieces, all were feeding. i've received feedback from a few friends here who have kept this species, all began feeding on frozen food. some even took small sized pellets.

i'll agree that marginalis on a whole, is a generally harder level butterfly due to it's finiky feeding, but as compared to the copperband, it is much easier. and i won't call it expert only. difficult to moderate probably.

i've also seen muelleri being sold in shops and they feed well on frozen food too.

johan, i know you have a problem with me and you may think i'm some dumb kid who just goes around ripping stuff from the net and pasting everywhere. and while i certainly do not have as much knowledge as you, i'm not completely handicapped in this hobby.

i did not get my job on reefbuilders just by lifting stuff off the net for nothing, and i hope that you understand. i have friends from the states who are well known scientists and well known people in the hobby. and while i do not have first hand experience by them, alot of the stuff i share here are translated by them.

everyone starts out somewhere. i'm only 19 and i have a big passion for this hobby. you comment on everything i do and put me down. so what do you want from me?

• Like 2

i've kept marginalis two times.

they are very much easier than rostratus and feed instantly on frozen. and out of the batch of more than 10 pieces, all were feeding. i've received feedback from a few friends here who have kept this species, all began feeding on frozen food. some even took small sized pellets.

i'll agree that marginalis on a whole, is a generally harder level butterfly due to it's finiky feeding, but as compared to the copperband, it is much easier. and i won't call it expert only. difficult to moderate probably.

i've also seen muelleri being sold in shops and they feed well on frozen food too.

johan, i know you have a problem with me and you may think i'm some dumb kid who just goes around ripping stuff from the net and pasting everywhere. and while i certainly do not have as much knowledge as you, i'm not completely handicapped in this hobby.

i did not get my job on reefbuilders just by lifting stuff off the net for nothing, and i hope that you understand. i have friends from the states who are well known scientists and well known people in the hobby. and while i do not have first hand experience by them, alot of the stuff i share here are translated by them.

everyone starts out somewhere. i'm only 19 and i have a big passion for this hobby. you comment on everything i do and put me down. so what do you want from me?

First : keeping two marginalis successfully does not mean that it is an easy fish.. You might just have lucked out!! Since you are 19 only , what happened with the two said species, how long did you keep them , I mean; did you buy them when you were 13 years old and did they just died recently??

Second, : Mulleri does indeed feed well. in the start.. they break down little by little.....expression is Arrogance..I believe..

And finally your post are mostly incomplete........ some very important matters are not written here and could well lead to mistake being made by those that take all you write for granted..

So , come to think of it, not really all that much against you,right?

And being a moderator on a forum either here or Reefbuilders.. Most people you ask for the "job" would say: NO THANK YOU!!!

Guess it has to do a lot with exhibitionism, wanting to be in the spot light...

• Senior Reefer

First : keeping two marginalis successfully does not mean that it is an easy fish.. You might just have lucked out!! Since you are 19 only , what happened with the two said species, how long did you keep them , I mean; did you buy them when you were 13 years old and did they just died recently??

Second, : Mulleri does indeed feed well. in the start.. they break down little by little.....expression is Arrogance..I believe..

And finally your post are mostly incomplete........ some very important matters are not written here and could well lead to mistake being made by those that take all you write for granted..

So , come to think of it, not really all that much against you,right?

And being a moderator on a forum either here or Reefbuilders.. Most people you ask for the "job" would say: NO THANK YOU!!!

Guess it has to do a lot with exhibitionism, wanting to be in the spot light...

i won't say exhibitionism, more of wanting to share.

the fish scene in singapore is very lacking in almost everything as you can see. the knowledge here is poor, the fish choice here is poor, almost everything fish related is poor. people like digiman and i are just a group of people who like fish more than others.

so we post here and share more about them hoping to bring up the awareness and interest level. of course some people would think that is exhibitionism and wanting to be in the spotlight.

as to why most of my posts are incomplete. i often try to do this as simple enough to encourage people into trying new fishes. i feel if it gets too wordy and scientific with all the itty bitty details, people will just get bored.

you're always saying that internet and book references are nonsense and bullshit. but that is what 95% of the entire world is getting the information from (who else has an expert in their backyard where they can just call upon for help anytime? no one!). and while i agree, alot is ###### and bull, there are some good references out there. reliable sources. sources from experienced reefers in the states and from marine biologists who are willing to take the time to share on forums. we just have to take the time to separate the sources, good or bad.

don't expect every reefer to know everything like you because almost no one has excess to the kind of knowledge that you do. (i.e, field experience and what not). most casual hobbyists rely in internet and books.

i don't want to argue with you. it's very time consuming and nothing gets achieved. you're a man of vision and i respect that. but it's very difficult to reason with and so i'll just end it here.

i don't want to create another episode like last time.

Well we at least are getting somewhere Mr. Tea; The Singapore reef scene, or should I say majority of sales people ,are B***** ignorant and have the $$$ burned on their Retina ...

Since plenty of so called " Reputably Importers" don,t want to spend some honest money on better fish, your country is one of the BIGGEST dump places for $%^&# Philippine fish. Plenty of your importers live by the credit given by the exporters in Manila..Others don,t even pay their bills like A***M***** She has a reputation here longer then my arm.

So Yes you are right again...

Awareness.. Well that is one of my favorite topics. As a matter a fact I started out as youngster two years older then you are now as a professional importer. Importing from the country that was so much more advanced then all others.. SINGAPORE!! Mind you my first marine tank I had when I just got 14, most likely you were about the same?

Now here comes the difference; there was no internet and all books were in GERMAN written so.. I learned a couple of foreign languages ...

Info from the Website ; the glorious FISHBASE.ORG from here, the Philippines ,is even wrong in several matters......in other words Nobody is perfect, thus we should or could use phrases like "might be, could well be, have no clue...".At least that is honesty at its best and nobody is misleading ......or get mislead

IPSA SCIENTIA POTESTAS EST!- Knowledge is power!

Now question yourself: Did arguing with me brought us together or.......

In many matters you are indeed a worthy opponent,no question about that.. It is just that I want to bring the best out of you .

You still have a long way to go but... pretty sure you will get there!!

Cheers to you Mr. Tea!

• Senior Reefer

Now question yourself: Did arguing with me brought us together or.......

In many matters you are indeed a worthy opponent,no question about that.. It is just that I want to bring the best out of you .

You still have a long way to go but... pretty sure you will get there!!

Cheers to you Mr. Tea!

i don't know what to say.

you might just be the most successful troll in the history of trolling.

salute.

• 1 month later...

chaetodon selene does not belong to the same complex/relative of tinker's butterfly at all.

and chaetodon selene is a rare butterflyfish in the trade.

Pity, such a nice butterfly. Am interested in a reef safe butterfly fish. Wonder if I can get tinker from HK? Am going during x'mas.

• Senior Reefer

Pity, such a nice butterfly. Am interested in a reef safe butterfly fish. Wonder if I can get tinker from HK? Am going during x'mas.

selen is very nice and i want it alot.

but i've never seen it before. not often targeted for collection.

you might be able to find tinker's btterfly in hk.

but it's a rare fish so don't get your hopes up!

hk is the butterfly and angel capital of S.E asia so don't be surprised if you actually do see it. but they get snapped up lightning fast!

selen is very nice and i want it alot.

but i've never seen it before. not often targeted for collection.

you might be able to find tinker's btterfly in hk.

but it's a rare fish so don't get your hopes up!

hk is the butterfly and angel capital of S.E asia so don't be surprised if you actually do see it. but they get snapped up lightning fast!

Ya, I'm hoping to get some tinker butterfly in HK. Told my wife I wanna buy the fish back from HK and she say I'm crazy. Any idea how much a tinker is selling in HK?

Tinker butterfly is a fish u can get here in singapore, if u order for it.

There is no need to go HK to buy.

LCK and M3 will be able to bring in the fish for u. Price range from 300 to 500 depending on the size, smaller more expensive.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • src unpinned this topic