How to Keep Brine Shrimp Alive?

pet

• SRC Member

Do u mean keeping adults alive or hatching then raising nauplii?

For adults they can be kept alive in a container stored in the fridge. This will allow up to 3days, they start to die off by the 4th(without feeding).

If u want to raise baby brine shrimp to the first week(i think instar II stage) u will need food. A round container with no dead spots & ample water volume to brine shrimp mass will be best.

u can keep brine shrimp alive on baker's yeast(NTUC $1.50 for a box contains 5 packs). quarter teaspoon mix with tap water to feed abt 4ltr culture. i say keep alive cause yeast has no nutrition benefits- thus the brine shrimp will be empty when fed to fishes.

i raise nauplii on phytoplankton & Spirulina Powder.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bawater

I have been looking around for answers like this...

But I have a query...How did you manage to get baby brine shrimp? You hatched them yourself? Where to buy eggs then?

What kinda of animals eat baby brine shrimp? Brimp shrimp are kept in seawater or freshwater?

• SRC Member

u can get brine shrimp eggs at almost all the proper LFS, fresh water ones also carry them. usually used in breeding discus,bettas & other fry.just ask for brine shrimp eggs.Aquamart@paya lebar has them,so does K&K@tampines,C328@clementi & i think Keong seong@havelock too .

i think available at 9g per package(small box contains a small vial) hatching instructions are on the box. $6-$8

Going by the brand name,the origin of these eggs should be low hatch rates from china.60% if i'm not wrong,although i get lower than this from them.

baby brine shrimp(hence:bbs) are hatched in seawater. u can also use normal aquarium salt(LH kind) & dechlorinated water-mix according to the instructions on the box.

trying not to repeat how to.... > there r some links below where they are covered.

i'm using grade A eggs from Brine Shrimp Direct-but i seldom hatch to feed nowadays,i have a self-sufficient small culture 3ltr(mainly i just watch them cause production too little for big regular usage)

but i think chanbi still doing it.

here are some previous threads on feeding BBS/adult BS:

link

link

AT did have a thread on How to hatch,along with pics of his hatchery but i can't find it -

AT did have a thread on How to hatch,along with pics of his hatchery but i can't find it -

That info was lost when my server migrated to a new datacentre.

I will have to post it all over again. :(

Oh well... for SRC! :)

If you are hatching BBS, I recommend Brine Shrimp Direct's grade A cysts.... have very good hatching rates. :)

• SRC Member

wrassy, what container r u using to raise the bbs? if its small u will encounter a very big die off within the first 2 weeks & u will be left with a few shrimps, if its square then there will be dead spots where some will find & die. They will reflect the colour of food that u feed(baker's yeast= white, spirulina= green).

red being low oxygen levels in which their blood cells produce this pigment( chk out brine shrimp direct website faq files ) . if u cram them together then they turn red due to low oxygen levels.

• 7 months later...

Just to share that I have been able to keep BBS alive to adulthood until they have eggs by feeding them with live phytoplankton and doing water changes once the water becomes a little cloudy. The live phyto actually helps to keep the water cleaner and is a food source for the adult brine shrimp.

• 1 year later...
  • SRC Member

how often to change water? only when cloudly or every X number of days? can i put in a sponge filter?

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

• SRC Member

i m feeding them with a diy solution (brown flour, egg, sotong, daphnia, seaweed, krill, yeast, spirulina, astaxanthin, folic acid, vit b12, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, sera vitamin, carrot, spinach, silkworm, fish meat, seashell meat [heat sterilised] and cod fish oil [extracted from layer between skin n flesh and between flesh and bones]). seems like hufa content of the adult brine shrimps are pretty high. all my fish are very round, hehehehe

• 1 year later...
  • SRC Member
I learnt this many years ago. The shells will fall to the bottom. Take a syringe to suck out all those that is swimming around and put into a new container and bubble. Hope our bros can confirm ya. :P

I saw a weblink saying that the BS can be put temp in freshwater! Is it true? Will it cause any harm if the water from the hatching enter the main tank?

To separate the cysts, pour everything into a clear container. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes with a light source shining in the middle of the container. Unhatched cysts sink, empty shells float. Your brine shrimp will be all concentrated near the light and you can siphon them out easily.

Avoid putting culture water into your tank as it is usually highly laden with bacteria and ammonia which is associated with hatching. Soaking brine shrimps in freshwater is a good way to kill off most pathogens. You can soak them for few minutes to few hours and they won't die. They're tough things.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
To separate the cysts, pour everything into a clear container. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes with a light source shining in the middle of the container. Unhatched cysts sink, empty shells float. Your brine shrimp will be all concentrated near the light and you can siphon them out easily.

Avoid putting culture water into your tank as it is usually highly laden with bacteria and ammonia which is associated with hatching. Soaking brine shrimps in freshwater is a good way to kill off most pathogens. You can soak them for few minutes to few hours and they won't die. They're tough things.

Thks for the info! :thanks:

• 6 months later...
  • 12 years later...