Cedric's Simple Cube Mini 80

Cedric

• SRC Member

I've been keeping this pair of maroon clown fish for nearly a decade. It all started with a hand me down 3 feet tank, after which I down graded to a small The 12g nano tank works fine but the electronics was breaking down plus it was near impossible to keep the water temp low. Thus after some research, I decided to go for Brief equipment list as follow:

1. Aquabee 2000 - Return Pump
  2. Maxspect G2 60w + Lens Kit
  3. Bubble Magus NAC3.5 Cone Insump skimmer
  4. Vortech MP10es W
  5. 2 x DC Fan for evaporative cooling

As this is an open top tank, I was able to maintain between 25 to 27 degrees for water temp without the need for chiller.

DSC_6499.JPG

_DSC0094.JPG

_DSC0101.JPG

_DSC0106.JPG

_DSC0115.JPG

_DSC0118.JPG

Thanks! ^_^

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member

Good clean setup. Keep this thread up-to-date. Cheers!

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

makes me wonder while looking at this thread.. should i.. or should i not..?

ray bro, so long since you MIA.. the reefing poison is still in you.. come back to the BRIGHT side when you are less occupy! :thumbsup:

and nice setup TS! solid equips

• SRC Member

Thanks for all the comments! The pair of clowns are the main reason I stayed in this expensive hobby. I've had my fish longer than I know my wife! (shssssh).

In fact, they are really strong survivers! I've even operated on the female once when she had huge fungus growth at her chin area. To cut the story short, I put her under the blade, she bleed but lived on without the fungus.

Cheers!

:P

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member

In fact, they are really strong survivers! I've even operated on the female once when she had huge fungus growth at her chin area. To cut the story short, I put her under the blade, she bleed but lived on without the fungus.

That's impressive. You should share more on how you performed the operation so that others can learn from your success. ^_^

• SRC Member

Decided to add some cheato in the sump, found some light diffuser lying around and cut it to size to separate the cheato from the skimmer.

DSC_7096.JPG

I've also decided to rescape the rocks to allow more light to reach the corals. The new FTS!

_DSC0175.JPG

:thanks:

Comments are welcome!

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

<_< Thanks to MadkenZ, managed to get a PAR LED to replace the dymax robot LED which I felt was really too dim to encourage the chaeto to grow well. Took a few of pics before mounting the PAR LED.

DSC_7154.JPG

DSC_7158.JPG

See how bright it is compared to the Dymax LED!

DSC_7218.JPG

DSC_7219.JPG

Just to end with another FTS. Any idea how to rid the tiny specks in the water column when taking photographs? <_<

DSC_7223fts.jpg

Thanks for looking! :thanks:

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member

Thanks Ketchup! I didn't know that! I was fiddling with the settings on my camera and kept wondering how to get it right!?! :poster_oops:

Another FTS, but with the wave maker and return still on. Sorry, only read your post (Ketchup's) after taking the shot. My lights are off now so will probably try again another time.

DSC_7243FTS.jpg

And a shot of maroon clown pair whom has been with me for 10 years! And guess what? I named them Tomato and Ketchup!

DSC_7259.JPG

:ThanxSmiley:

Comments are welcome!

Thanks Ketchup! I didn't know that! I was fiddling with the settings on my camera and kept wondering how to get it right!?! :poster_oops:

Another FTS, but with the wave maker and return still on. Sorry, only read your post (Ketchup's) after taking the shot. My lights are off now so will probably try again another time.

DSC_7243FTS.jpg

And a shot of maroon clown pair whom has been with me for 10 years! And guess what? I named them Tomato and Ketchup!

DSC_7259.JPG

Beautiful setup :welldone:

• Like 1

• SRC Member

hi bro.. nice setup.. i'm going to ur place real soon.. haha

can i suggest something? i think is safer to put the sump below the electrical stuff. if not, at least place electrical stuff in a covered plastic box.

Hi allantang,

the position of sump verus electrical stuff was not an available option as I purchased the set complete from Dr Evil. I think the logic was to close the distance between the sump and main tank to reduce the head loss suffered by the return pump. Perhaps Dr Evil would like to comment?

However, I do agree with you on the potential risk of water getting to the eletronics.

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member

haha... I named my tomato clown fish ketchup also... hence my nick :)

Your 2 maroon clowns look so menacing... :)

Hahaha, they are 10 years old already, perhaps they are just old and crouchy?! :P

Comments are welcome!