lighting

• SRC Member

T5.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Why? Although the t5 fixture has excellent reflector and a much better bulb, it's only 2x24watts.....compared to the 72 watts of compact flourescent. I know watts is not equilavent to the intensity of light but 72 watts is 1.5 times 48 watts.....is the reflector really that reflective? :lol:

• SRC Member

The word 'brighter' can mean many things but in the marine reef aquarium context it is all about PAR. I'll let the information on this link do the talking.

T5 lasts longer, runs cooler, and have more bulb choices. Works best If coupled with individual parabolic reflectors

In short, you'll get more bang for your buck.

Note: I currently use MH.

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

In case you are wondering:

PAR - Photosynthetically Available Radiation. The light that can use to produce food by the symbiotic algae inside corals called zooxanthellae.

As explained by reef light master Sanjay Joshi, the technically correct term for measuring PAR as the number of photons of light falling on a given area in a given amount of time is PPFD which stands for Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density.

So you are saying that t5 is more worth it than pc right? The geisseman razor fixture costs 300 bucks.That alone is around the price of the jbj 24gallon. The dif in temp wont really matter. If you are willing to pay so much for a light fixture you are probably willing to pay another 300 dollars for a chiller. If the intention of aquarist is just to know which one 'brighter' then its kind of a novelty question. A person who has a jbj isnt going to take off his hood and replace it with a geisseman fixture right?I've used both types before, most people will replace their bulbs every year regardless of it being t5 or pc. For a 2ft tank,pc bulbs or 2 bulbs of t5 wont make much of a dif.

IMO, to each their own.

giesemann really emphasizes alot of their design.

If you go over to RC to view some of their threads,they'd do modifications to these nano tank sets,so that it can accommodate the kind of livestock that they are keeping.PC or T5,i guess it depends very much on the corals that you are keeping.

just my two cents,cause i used to believe that money > well-being of livestocks.

• SRC Member
<br />hi all. just wondering which is brighter, a 2 ft giesemann t5 razor or the compact fluorescents of the 24 gal jbj nano cube. thks<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hi Aquarist, perhaps if you can provide more context to your enquiry, we'll be able to provide more targeted information. Example, you setup, livestocks, etc... cheers.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

DIY cost less than a 100.

E ballast, with ATI , reflector, clip, holder etc..

u can get all these from aquamarine

---2Ft Cube by MarineLife---2008-2009

http://w w w.absolutereef . com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12369

Skimmer: Deltec APF600 feeder by Eheim 1250

Lighting: Solite 150MH 14k

Supplement: Giesemann T5 Razor, Actinic Plus ~22k

Top-up: Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

Return: Eheim 1260

Reactor: Skimz FR Rowaphos

---------------------------------------------------------

---1.5Ft Cube by Iwarna---2010- ???

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/95312-nano-15-cube/

Tank: 1.5Ft Cube,Sump with Chengai Wood Cabinate

skimmer: Reef Oct Nw110

Return: Eheim 1250

Chiller: Hailea HC150A with feeder Eheim Compact 1000

Reactor: Phosphan with Rowaphos

Lighting: MaxSpec G2 110w,DELighting T5 ATI*2,Giesemann T5 Razor ATI*2

WaveMaker: MP10 VorTech

Top Up : ATO with Tank

-------------------------Your Advice is my Success

I've actually used both types of bulbs,they'generally the same to me,I would prefer t5 since you can choose did colour bulbs but it is more costly to replace two t5bulbs whereas compared to one pc. But if I were to get one pc bulb , I would supplement it with some submersible LEDs for fluorescent in corals. If aquamarin helps me change it then it's fine but

I would not be able to upgrade it myself. Usually have no time. Besides, I find pc more suited for cubes than t5

thanks everyone for your advice. i bought a lumenaqua rgb and my corals are flourishing

Hi bro, wat is lumenaqua rgb lighting? T5?

Can anyone advice whether LED or T5 is better in terms of,

1) Temperature

2) Reliability

3) For Corals and Clams

A 3x2x2 marine tank.

Many Thanks

Main Tank: 4x2x2 with 5 FT Piano Finishing Cabinet

Sump Tank: 32" by 18" by 16"

Arctica Chiller 1/4 HP DBE 200

Vortech MP40wES Wavemaker

Skimz 201 Skimmer

DE Lighting Retro Fit 6x54W T5 tubes

Eheim 1264 Chiller and Return Pump

American Pinpoint PH and Temperature Monitor

KDK 15WUD Chiller Compartment Fan

Tunze Osmolator ATO

led is better. only prob is the price 1285. temp, led produce much less heat,rgb can change colour to any colour you want, colour of light. for corals better. t5 cheaper, more bulb option and can replace when dead. led if die cannot replace must buy new one.