beware of stray voltages

yangster

Hi all,

Just to share. Just wondering if you guys measure if theres any stray voltage in your tank.

My corals (even easy mushrooms) despite perfect water conditions was not opening well and fishes appeared timid. at first i tot My tank was pretty new so maybe still acclimatising and cycling in.... till i read about stray currents!!! i tested my water with a voltmeter and found out that there was actually current in my water which we humans dun really feel it.

I tested all the equipments and it turned out that the chiller and Ehiem returm pump were the culprits because they were using the round 2pin plugs and hence not properly earthed. quickly changed the plugs to the standard 3pins one and now even my Jewel coral is in full bloom! fishes are not hiding that much too. immediate response. so guys, please do some easy check on your tanks. simple volt meter is less than $20 and its advised to check regularly incase any old equipments are leaking.

Gd luck!!

• Like 1

Tank : 2.5 x1.5 x 2

Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC3.5

Lighting : Maxspect 110W

Chiller : Hailea 150 @ 27Deg

Salt : TropicMarin

• SRC Member

Hi all,

Just to share. Just wondering if you guys measure if theres any stray voltage in your tank.

My corals (even easy mushrooms) despite perfect water conditions was not opening well and fishes appeared timid. at first i tot My tank was pretty new so maybe still acclimatising and cycling in.... till i read about stray currents!!! i tested my water with a voltmeter and found out that there was actually current in my water which we humans dun really feel it.

I tested all the equipments and it turned out that the chiller and Ehiem returm pump were the culprits because they were using the round 2pin plugs and hence not properly earthed. quickly changed the plugs to the standard 3pins one and now even my Jewel coral is in full bloom! fishes are not hiding that much too. immediate response. so guys, please do some easy check on your tanks. simple volt meter is less than $20 and its advised to check regularly incase any old equipments are leaking.

Gd luck!!

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

• SRC Member

Hi all,

Gd luck!!

Tot u should feel the stray voltage when u put ur hand into the water?

Test pen cannot use to test?

Pls enlighten me.

Thanks. :blink:

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

Tot u should feel the stray voltage when u put ur hand into the water?

Test pen cannot use to test?

Pls enlighten me.

Thanks. :blink:

There's a range humans are unable to feel it. Minimum for human to feel the current is 1mA.

Interesting information! Will be checking if there's any stray current as I have two pin appliances too.

• SRC Member

Sorry, can anyone advise how a 3 pin plug able to resolve the issue of stray current. Beside the original two cable for appliance (live and neutral), do we need to add another cable (earth)? Connected from the plug to where?

Sorry, can anyone advise how a 3 pin plug able to resolve the issue of stray current. Beside the original two cable for appliance (live and neutral), do we need to add another cable (earth)? Connected from the plug to where?

Usually original 2 cables should ok as they are usually small appliaces. probably more applicable to larger items with higher wattage such as heaters and chillers etc.... i am refering to the big fat round pins that requires an adapter to mount the socket. if the equipment is properly earthed, any stray voltages will be conducted away instead of remaining in your water. in countries without 3 pins, aquarist actually use grounding plugs made of titaniam to ground their tanks. stray voltages is suspected to cause Head and Lateral Line Erosion HLLE disease on fishes

Tank : 2.5 x1.5 x 2

Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC3.5

Lighting : Maxspect 110W

Chiller : Hailea 150 @ 27Deg

Salt : TropicMarin

• SRC Member

If the original plug is 2 pin, there's no use to change it to 3 pin unless the grounding wire exists.

Grounding probe is another way to solve stray current problem. This can be easily DIYed by attaching an exposed stainless steel object to a wire at one end and connecting the other end to the middle pin of any 3-pin plug that is plugged into the mains. Do ensure that no part of the wires touching water should be exposed else it'll corrode. Do this by smearing silicone sealant over the connection area. Avoid copper wires - copper is not good for livestocks.

To save this hassle, Just get one. They are very cheap.

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

this is the type of plug. our sockets are not suited to ground this type of plugs.

this is german power plug.

use a german converter to UK/SG, the metal in the center is the ground.

can get it at iwarna, hardware shops or RD.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

I tied a philip test pen beside my fish tank. So before i put my hand in, I would use it to test for stray first.

After countless electric shock from fish tank.........

this is an excellent idea! afterall, my gf did ask y the hell would a sane person put so many electrical components and plugs at such a proximity to water...lol

I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government. - Woody Allen

• SRC Member

I wonder if anyone who is serious on this hobby is "sane"... Make sure the test pen don't have copper...

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)