Help on sump tank construction & maker!

• SRC Member

Hi i need some advise on replacing my current sump tank with a new one as my current one is too small for much things.

i'm currently having a 3x2x2 tank with live stock inside.

My question is will replacing the sump tank cause anything to my live stock?

Also what are the configuration i can do if i want to build a refugium?

How much roughly it will cost?

Tank maker options?

Really full of options, any old bird out there can render me some help? I really got no idea how to construct the sump tank and also what are the dimension going to be.

Thanks in advance =)

2x2x1.5

======

Maxspect Gyre

Maxspect Razer 120w 16k

H2O FR with Rowa

Eheim Universal 2400

BM Nac 5.5

JBJ Arctica 1/10Hp

• SRC Member

If you can shut off your pipe valves(meaning you do not need to drain your main tank)while sump is swapped out, impact to your LS should be minimal.

Things to do:

(1) Get a measurement inside your sump cabinet. This will give an idea of max sump size you can install.

Note1: Size if cabinet opening will also influence max sump size.(Get a measurement of that too)

Note2: a Pic of your sump showing existing piping position would help.

(2) A list of sump equipment(with individual dimension)

Lastly, if you've been wanting to change, upgrade or add certain sump equipment, this is a good time to include into item(2).

Happy planning

Hi i need some advise on replacing my current sump tank with a new one as my current one is too small for much things.

i'm currently having a 3x2x2 tank with live stock inside.

My question is will replacing the sump tank cause anything to my live stock?

Also what are the configuration i can do if i want to build a refugium?

How much roughly it will cost?

Tank maker options?

Really full of options, any old bird out there can render me some help? I really got no idea how to construct the sump tank and also what are the dimension going to be.

Thanks in advance =)

Get take the measurement first, then do the compartments for incoming water from tank, with filter, another compartment for skimmer pump, then refugium, then compartment for fluidised reactor for carbon/phospate/nitrate (whatever), then chiller pump, then no-bubble compartment for return pump(s).

After making drawings on the measurement, head to Kelantan lane, or there's a shop beside GO, to make your sump. 6mm thickness will do.

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

• SRC Member

If you can shut off your pipe valves(meaning you do not need to drain your main tank)while sump is swapped out, impact to your LS should be minimal.

Things to do:

(1) Get a measurement inside your sump cabinet. This will give an idea of max sump size you can install.

Note1: Size if cabinet opening will also influence max sump size.(Get a measurement of that too)

Note2: a Pic of your sump showing existing piping position would help.

(2) A list of sump equipment(with individual dimension)

Lastly, if you've been wanting to change, upgrade or add certain sump equipment, this is a good time to include into item(2).

Happy planning

I'm using a duso pipe so i believe it shouldn't impact my main tank water.

For sump equipment i'm actually only planning for skimmer and refugium with some carbon and biohomes. Currently my poor fishes have been surviving in a sump with only sponges carbon and biohome heng still hanging on there for more then a year haha. cos previously using algae scrubber.

My biggest headache will be getting the dimension for the diff compartment. i have wasted many hours just by planning this out haha.

2x2x1.5

======

Maxspect Gyre

Maxspect Razer 120w 16k

H2O FR with Rowa

Eheim Universal 2400

BM Nac 5.5

JBJ Arctica 1/10Hp

• SRC Member

Get take the measurement first, then do the compartments for incoming water from tank, with filter, another compartment for skimmer pump, then refugium, then compartment for fluidised reactor for carbon/phospate/nitrate (whatever), then chiller pump, then no-bubble compartment for return pump(s).

After making drawings on the measurement, head to Kelantan lane, or there's a shop beside GO, to make your sump. 6mm thickness will do.

Noted with thanks. Btw do you have any idea roughly whats the damage like? As i'm going on budget saving up for maxspect G3 LED.

2x2x1.5

======

Maxspect Gyre

Maxspect Razer 120w 16k

H2O FR with Rowa

Eheim Universal 2400

BM Nac 5.5

JBJ Arctica 1/10Hp

• SRC Member

Actually i am in the mist of planning too.

I called the kelantan boss but he said that we need to come out with our design and pass to him to quote.

The issue is, whats the best design suited for your own tank...

thats the part we need advise from old birds here.

Can you take photos of your existing setup?

• SRC Member

Noted with thanks. Btw do you have any idea roughly whats the damage like? As i'm going on budget saving up for maxspect G3 LED.

for sump tank .. if apperences is not an issue... ask the kelantan tank boss to quote you base on his left over glasses. means your sump might have different colour/stain glass etc ...

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

for sump tank .. if apperences is not an issue... ask the kelantan tank boss to quote you base on his left over glasses. means your sump might have different colour/stain glass etc ...

Wahh...that's good lobang bro. But how much discount can we expect compared to normal glass type?

• SRC Member

Wahh...that's good lobang bro. But how much discount can we expect compared to normal glass type?

not so sure as i am using this sump ... hhahah

post-1059-0-93735600-1307113206_thumb.jp

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

Haha that's really on budget!

not really on budget... with this sump i can put wat ever equipment inside without worry about the size of it... if u need refugium get another tank or container and put it in or on top, channel in some water and u have a refugium ... dont like the refugium just take it out will do.... time to change why still stick to glass sump with compartment....

• SRC Member

(1) I've come to appreciate the space necessary to carry out proper maintenance task on the sump. I did not cater for sufficient space to work on my out-sump return pump. Now I dread having to dismantle it for servicing.

(2) One of my regular task is to reach into the refugium to flip over the chaeto. (The water flow is too weak to keep it tumbling.) But it was located at the left rear corner of my sump. So visibility & accessibility is not so ideal.

Learning from my current experience, my next sump would definitely be better.

• 3 months later...