I had received many PMs inquiring about the ATS we had BO previously. I created this thread to share everything I know or experience in the making and use of the above model designed by SantaMonica but customized to fit the resources we can find locally.
I understand it is not cheap to make the ATS box and I managed to convince one maker (also a friend) to assist making some samples for about $100 each previously so please do not act smart by taking my invoice/receipt to negotiate with the same maker (I kena screwed for nothing).:angry2:
Lightset - Aquazonic 2 x 24w light set
Can be acquired from Seaview, one of the cheapest I think since they give a further 15% discount.
Question: Did you get Aquazonic lights because it is the best option?
Answer: No, we got it because its the cheapest possible. (Touch wood, so far have no problem at all)
Question: Can I use other lightset?
Answer: The box is redesigned based on the Aquazonic dimensions. Go figure.
2700K T5 tubes
Can be purchase from:
32 Ang Mo Kio ind park 2
Sing Ind complex
0900hrs - 1800hrs mon - fri
0900hrs - 1300hrs sat
Below $8 each
I got my screen from Artfriends Takashimaya. It's use for stitching or something, about an A4 size netting. I cut it into half and use both, cleaning one of them every 3-4 days. Just a few dollars.
SantaMonica recommend at least 3000 l/h of flow for this design. I am using Rio HF17.
PVC pipes and end cap can be found in most general hardware stores. The design we use is based on grey PVC, not white (supposedly different)
PVC connectors like the one below can get from the hardware shop beside the box maker but I suggest you placing an order with your neighborhood HW store.
Challenges you may face:
1) Price of ATS box alone is not low, especially if you get it alone. The average quotes I get is between $190 per box. Cheapest about $150 for mass order.
2) Cutting a straight slit for the outflow - Use Dremel tool or drills a few holes and slowly cut with saw blade (please remember to use all necessary protective equipment such as gloves, eye protection glasses etc),
3) Getting the right flow - the level the box is place, angle of cuttings on pipes, angle, size of slit, thickness and material of screen, connection size, output speed, algae grow on slits etc can affect the flow.
1) ATS is the only filter I got for my tank, I did not measure the ANN since I didn't get the kits and there hadn't been big algae outbreaks for the last two months. (So those want to know the effectiveness can come help me measure )
2) I do not have the final design/drawing for the ATS box.
Those want to see how it works can contact me for an open house demonstration, $5 per person .
More pictures of my set
Is ATS effective? As mentioned above, I do not measure and I won't comment, but SM constantly update this thread with reviews from happy users around the world.
Also like to specially thank Bro StevenKoh for the help, guidance and trust he had given me in this BO.