Iceprobe performance

finind

• SRC Member

anyone still using iceprobe?

so far how's the performance?

is it reliable?

Plan to use it to cool a 40+ litre nano with 18W led light, 7W return pump, 5W wavemaker and probably another

5-10W pump for fluidized reactor or skimmer.

possible to easily bring down 3 degree with room temp. ard 29-30 degree ?

:ThanxSmiley:

• SRC Member

anyone still using iceprobe?

so far how's the performance?

is it reliable?

Plan to use it to cool a 40+ litre nano with 18W led light, 7W return pump, 5W wavemaker and probably another

5-10W pump for fluidized reactor or skimmer.

possible to easily bring down 3 degree with room temp. ard 29-30 degree ?

:ThanxSmiley:

hi bro, I have used it on a IQ3 in the past for my freshwater shrimps before.

IQ3 is only 6L +/- and without Iceprobe my temperature is around 29-30.

Iceprobe can bring it down to 23-24. I did not use it's temperature controller, just on it 24/7

If you wan to maintain at specific temperature then will have to buy controller.

Do note: I tried it on a 20L tank before and can only bring down to 27-28

2 Feet Tank: (Decom Feb 2015)
-Lightings : Pharos LED light 90W with wireless controller
-Chiller : Arctica 1/10HP with H2Ocean Flow Pump 2000

-Wavemaker : Vortech MP10ES
-Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC 3.5

-Return Pump : Eheim Compact 3000
-Reactor – TLF150 (Mod) with NP Biopellet
-Reactor – TLF150 with Rowaphos

• SRC Member

hi bro, I have used it on a IQ3 in the past for my freshwater shrimps before.

IQ3 is only 6L +/- and without Iceprobe my temperature is around 29-30.

Iceprobe can bring it down to 23-24. I did not use it's temperature controller, just on it 24/7

If you wan to maintain at specific temperature then will have to buy controller.

Do note: I tried it on a 20L tank before and can only bring down to 27-28

Thanks bro for the info!

Have been reading the reviews and there are VERY mix results

makes it really hard to decide

claimed 6-8 degree for 10G .. may be the catch is without any pumps or light .... :chair:

... and I only need 3 degree ....

for the price without clear cut proven track record a bit skeptical

so far the smallest and easily available less expensive chiller is haelia 100a .. similar price as iceprobe wih controller ...

but my IOS return compartment only has 4 litre of water on average ... any concern to use a chiller?

• SRC Member

That 20L tank had nothing except for a overhead filter. I tried my Iiceprobe on it hoping to upgrade it to a bigger tank.

One thing to note, my Iceprobe was at the overflow of IQ3 so I guess it helped to distribute the cooled water efficently.

As for the 20L, I had problem mounting it so I kept it very far from the water flow. I guessed the efficiency wasnt really there so 27-28 can still be improved I think.

For small pico tank, Iceprobe still the best because tank like that have space constraint so cant install another pump for ext chiller.

Iceprobe is also super silent, which I like very much

I seen people installing two for bigger tank. If only Iceprobe is cheap...

• SRC Member

I was also very bothered by this at one time, deciding which is best for me...

In the past there was Resun CL85 also using TEM but it still requires another pump which my small IQ3 cannot use. Iceprobe for small tank still the best. If you are using IQ series, just chuck it on the overflow. Perfect as the size is just right

• SRC Member

If the price is not so steep then maybe dont have to consider so much and give it a try :lol:

else is better to check carefully...

waterflow... hmm

My nano is a IOS tank. I plan to put it directly over the main tank, just hold it with eggcrate at one corner of the tank... no drilling of hole.

wonder will that be efficient?

actually the biggest worry for iceprobe will be the fan... hopefully it can last for as long

when i use PC fans, I replace them like changing AA battery

• SRC Member

If the price is not so steep then maybe dont have to consider so much and give it a try :lol:

else is better to check carefully...

waterflow... hmm

My nano is a IOS tank. I plan to put it directly over the main tank, just hold it with eggcrate at one corner of the tank... no drilling of hole.

wonder will that be efficient?

actually the biggest worry for iceprobe will be the fan... hopefully it can last for as long

when i use PC fans, I replace them like changing AA battery

I covered that concern too. If the fan really spoils, you can easily find one in SLT. No worries

It is the TEM itself that may not last more than 2 years I guess. I think it will slowly loose it's efficiency but I never used that long to prove this point though.

IMO, install it where there is high flow so the cooler water spreads easily. Same idea for chillers, flowrate must be good for chiller to work properly

:)

• SRC Member

I covered that concern too. If the fan really spoils, you can easily find one in SLT. No worries

It is the TEM itself that may not last more than 2 years I guess. I think it will slowly loose it's efficiency but I never used that long to prove this point though.

IMO, install it where there is high flow so the cooler water spreads easily. Same idea for chillers, flowrate must be good for chiller to work properly

:)

:ThanxSmiley: jeffl

• SRC Member

quite a few ice probe users before. i recall whq also had his straight in-tank, something like a 1-ft cube size i think. previously, i rigged mine on an HOB filter, also put in some big pieces of my black sand (like pebbles) to help keep the cooling. as long as your ambient temp is not that hot, should be ok. mine was ~ 17-gal, and was able to lower tank temp about 2-deg running 24/7 with no controller. had a little help though with a little ariconditioning at night.

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

quite a few ice probe users before. i recall whq also had his straight in-tank, something like a 1-ft cube size i think. previously, i rigged mine on an HOB filter, also put in some big pieces of my black sand (like pebbles) to help keep the cooling. as long as your ambient temp is not that hot, should be ok. mine was ~ 17-gal, and was able to lower tank temp about 2-deg running 24/7 with no controller. had a little help though with a little ariconditioning at night.

my tank water volume should be around 12g including IOS.

I was also thinking to supplement the iceprobe with my current 10cm fan if i decide to get it.

in fact I find room aircon with PC fan very effective for my nano

if room aircon can be programmed to on from 3pm to 9pm everyday, and PC fan keep running, then could be sufficient to keep the water cool for whole day though temp. may swing from 26 to 28 degree. .. electricity bill should be another $10 per month maybe :lol:

so for 3yrs, est. more than iceprobe lifespan, is $360 .. slightly more than iceprobe cost ...

• SRC Member

If I plan to turn on the iceprobe only from 12pm to 12am using a timer, assuming from midnight till noon the temp. will increase slowly but not exceeding say 28 degree, is it a good idea?

turning on and off once a day VS letting the fan spin continuously either fast or slow.

• SRC Member

If I plan to turn on the iceprobe only from 12pm to 12am using a timer, assuming from midnight till noon the temp. will increase slowly but not exceeding say 28 degree, is it a good idea?

turning on and off once a day VS letting the fan spin continuously either fast or slow.

I think it can be done. Just monitor the Iceprobe performace for a few days noting down the average temperature thoughout the day.

From there you can set timer to on it to cover those high temperature period.

Do note that the Iceprobe take at least 30-45mins (depends on volume) to slowly lower temperature to your desired target

• SRC Member

I think it can be done. Just monitor the Iceprobe performace for a few days noting down the average temperature thoughout the day.

From there you can set timer to on it to cover those high temperature period.

Do note that the Iceprobe take at least 30-45mins (depends on volume) to slowly lower temperature to your desired target

my room aircon + 10cm fan take 2hrs :lol:

wah $300 toy ah...... very pain

• SRC Member

jeffL, you no longer have nano tank?

or switch to chiller?

I sold my Iceprobe. Last time I used it for my IQ3 to keep CRS shrimps then I upgraded to 2ft with chiller.

Now itchy start IQ5 marine. Hehe because I used to keep marine long long time ago. You see my forum registered date loh

• 5 months later...