Stress on my Prata and Open Brain

Admiraltian

3 of my LPS, namely 2 pratas and 1 trachy are showing signs of stress (spider web like strings growing on top of the flesh near mouth areas) Can anyone tell what's the cause of it? My Ca is around 420mg/l and KH approx 10.2-10.6dkh. Before that I'm having some problem with one brand of test kit telling me my Ca 450mg/l til I used Salifert's which is showing me my calcium is actually 300mg/l. Dunno if this is the cause of it? Of the 3 LPS, 2 of it is badly stressed while the 3rd one is just starting to show little threads on its flesh.

post-19777-0-49651800-1316343396_thumb.j

post-19777-0-96469500-1316343412_thumb.j

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

What is your nitrate level???........... u have fishes in the tank???.........I would move the pratas temporarily on the rocks first.........

My experience with prara is :-

1) it is pretty sensitive to nitrates..........my prata used to not open when Nitrates is high........

2) My prata died when my chiller broke down while I am in Taiwan.........temperature shot from 25 Deg C to 31.4 Deg C.........it literally melt........anyway I saw sand in the mouth also, it happens when the prata is dying and not able to close up to prevent sand from entering........

Anyway, your prata is expensive stuff!!!............ from Golden Octopus???............

What is your nitrate level???........... u have fishes in the tank???.........I would move the pratas temporarily on the rocks first.........

My experience with prara is :-

1) it is pretty sensitive to nitrates..........my prata used to not open when Nitrates is high........

2) My prata died when my chiller broke down while I am in Taiwan.........temperature shot from 25 Deg C to 31.4 Deg C.........it literally melt........anyway I saw sand in the mouth also, it happens when the prata is dying and not able to close up to prevent sand from entering........

Anyway, your prata is expensive stuff!!!............ from Golden Octopus???............

My nitrates ard 0.2mg/L, yeah they r from G.O. But this prata i've kept for quite some time before it become like that.

Dunno why?

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

My nitrates ard 0.2mg/L, yeah they r from G.O. But this prata i've kept for quite some time before it become like that.

Dunno why?

U have fishes?..........Wrasse in particular???...... there was once where ICH wipes out all my fishes in the tank.........then I wait out to "recycle" the tank to clear the ICH for 6 weeks.........during this time, there were a lot of "white ants" trying to eat quite a lot of my LPS.........then I bought many wrasses to eat them and then problem settled...........

• SRC Member

U have fishes?..........Wrasse in particular???...... there was once where ICH wipes out all my fishes in the tank.........then I wait out to "recycle" the tank to clear the ICH for 6 weeks.........during this time, there were a lot of "white ants" trying to eat quite a lot of my LPS.........then I bought many wrasses to eat them and then problem settled...........

Bro,what is "white ants"???

-Main Display Tank : 2ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft c/w sump tank cabinet (Set up by aquarium artist)

-Lightings : 4 sets of 1.5ft mini aqua lumen LED lights (7 high power led 15W)

-Chiller: 1/4HP artica chiller with a standby of HC-100A

-Skimmer : Bubble Magnus 3 (cone)

-Phosphate Reactor

-NP Bio-pellet D&D onceanic hang-on reactor

-Wavemaker : MP10

-Temperature mointor : American Wireless pinpoint thermometer

duno leh........spoke to many LFS and even post a thread here but all of them duno wat they are.......reli white ants crawling very fast.......quite small though........if u have many corals with sandbed but no fishes......u might be able to see them.........I believe fishes eat them.......but I tink all bros keep fishes so no chance to spot it.......I wan to clear the ICH so went fishless for a few weeks......

I thot Pods are those white stuff sticking on the glass???.........

I saw one isopod in the sand bed before. BTW I only have one Mystery wrasse and one Flasher fairy wrasse.

In what way will they affect my LPS? So far never see them nip at my corals.

I saw one isopod in the sand bed before. BTW I only have one Mystery wrasse and one Flasher fairy wrasse.

In what way will they affect my LPS? So far never see them nip at my corals.

Erm..........What I meant was that the wrasses help to eat up the white ants.........

Then again.........1 green wrasse (duno wat name) ate up 50% of my elegance........my elegance used to be like 4 palms big but now it is like a 2 thumb size........heart pain............

The trachy started to decay, so i have to throw away. The Prata still the same, no improvement. Some of my LPS, mainly Pratas has some white threads forming on it, not really a lot but I think its prevent it from expanding. Anyone seen this condition before?

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member

3 of my LPS, namely 2 pratas and 1 trachy are showing signs of stress (spider web like strings growing on top of the flesh near mouth areas) Can anyone tell what's the cause of it? My Ca is around 420mg/l and KH approx 10.2-10.6dkh. Before that I'm having some problem with one brand of test kit telling me my Ca 450mg/l til I used Salifert's which is showing me my calcium is actually 300mg/l. Dunno if this is the cause of it? Of the 3 LPS, 2 of it is badly stressed while the 3rd one is just starting to show little threads on its flesh.

Bro, I got the same experience like u! I brought 3 pratas from GO also like your case. First it opened very heathly for two weeks then stressed like yours, two of it died and one of it manage to survie till now( 4mths). I brought numbers of pratas from them won't last. And it not cheap

Bro, I got the same experience like u! I brought 3 pratas from GO also like your case. First it opened very heathly for two weeks then stressed like yours, two of it died and one of it manage to survie till now( 4mths). I brought numbers of pratas from them won't last. And it not cheap

Mine is only recently after i changed to LED lights and also due to insufficient calcium. These pratas think with me for 1-2 years liao. Sad leh. :(

Check ya SG level. I suggest U do a 50% water change soon looking at the state of ya distressed LPS.

ok, is using synthetic salt ok for the wc? Cos someone suggested to me the stress is caused by synthetic salt and asked me to use NSW. Currently i'm using brightwell neomarine salt.