Advice to keep Zoas alive

law1210

Hi bro/sis, need an advice here. Kindly refer pic below. The green palys have spread to another rock (somehow). When I saw the first polyp, I squashed it with a long chopstick. But it came back strong with another few polyps. May I know how can I remove them effectively because I don't want it to colonize that rock? I kind of like my blue star polyps there.

If possible, I try not move the rock they are on because it is the foundation of my rocks above. Is using pen knife to cut them off good enough?

post-14837-0-93376400-1329891835_thumb.j

My 1.5ft Nano tank

Equipment: Sump with chaeto, hydor nano wavemakers, Maxspect 60W LED, return pump Rio 12HF

Livestock: 2xMaroon Clown, Yellow Watchman Goby, Algae Blenny, six-line wrasse, Fire & Skunk Shrimp, turbo snails, hermit crabs.

Corals: Zoas, Rics, Hammer, Blue & Green Starpolyps.

Hi bro/sis, need an advice here. Kindly refer pic below. The green palys have spread to another rock (somehow). When I saw the first polyp, I squashed it with a long chopstick. But it came back strong with another few polyps. May I know how can I remove them effectively because I don't want it to colonize that rock? I kind of like my blue star polyps there.

If possible, I try not move the rock they are on because it is the foundation of my rocks above. Is using pen knife to cut them off good enough?

post-14837-0-93376400-1329891835_thumb.j

Please don't cut or use hot water treatment, they contain toxin and ppl are admitted to hospital for that.

For me if they are on the rock i don't want, i will remove the rocks and apply super glue gel on them. since you can't remove rocks, maybe epoxy will do. Just spread the epoxy over the zoa and cover it up.

Any other bros have better idea?

Btw, here's what's left of all the zoas I had 4 months ago. Either the colony shrink and algae took over or the algae caused the colony to shrink.

post-14837-0-73608300-1329893492_thumb.j

post-14837-0-78198600-1329893505_thumb.j

My 1.5ft Nano tank

Equipment: Sump with chaeto, hydor nano wavemakers, Maxspect 60W LED, return pump Rio 12HF

Livestock: 2xMaroon Clown, Yellow Watchman Goby, Algae Blenny, six-line wrasse, Fire & Skunk Shrimp, turbo snails, hermit crabs.

Please don't cut or use hot water treatment, they contain toxin and ppl are admitted to hospital for that.

For me if they are on the rock i don't want, i will remove the rocks and apply super glue gel on them. since you can't remove rocks, maybe epoxy will do. Just spread the epoxy over the zoa and cover it up.

Any other bros have better idea?

Apply epoxy over it sounds like a good idea. Thanks bro! Hope to hear other great ideas from bro/sis.

My 1.5ft Nano tank

has anyone tried fauna marin coral dip for their zoas?

I am using.

They are good.

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

The blue star polyps will spread very fast when your NO3 is above 10 ppm(Measure using Red Sea NO3 test kit)

I use to have them all over the LR in my 5 footer.

They will disappear once your NO3 drop to zero

Please note this is my observation.

• Like 1

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

The blue star polyps will spread very fast when your NO3 is above 10 ppm(Measure using Red Sea NO3 test kit)

I use to have them all over the LR in my 5 footer.

They will disappear once your NO3 drop to zero

Please note this is my observation.

Now i know the reason why my star polys ( easy corals) always die on me..hahha..Thanks Cheers Bro

• 3 weeks later...

One more month has past and here's what's left of the zoas. Once the shrinking starts, it'll be accelerated die off for the colony. Don't know how to stop the decline. :(

post-14837-0-65416000-1331444781_thumb.j

My 1.5ft Nano tank

Btw I took bro Titan's advice n seal up the nuisance Paly's with epoxy. See that white patch in the above pic.

With my fav zoa dying, only thing comforting is, my ric colony still doing great n the runaway piece has by now split into 3.

My 1.5ft Nano tank

• SRC Supporter

You can try this method by using one cup of tank water mix with 1 ~ 2 drop of Lugol's Iodine, and leave the zoas in the water for about 2~ 5 min. It should recovery within the few day after the dip .

Or you can improve the health of your zoas by treating it with Vit C supplement which seem to be very effective in RC.

You can try this method by using one cup of tank water mix with 1 ~ 2 drop of Lugol's Iodine, and leave the zoas in the water for about 2~ 5 min. It should recovery within the few day after the dip .

Or you can improve the health of your zoas by treating it with Vit C supplement which seem to be very effective in RC.

Thanks for the advice. Do u mean I dose Vit C into the tank?

My 1.5ft Nano tank

Yes, you can get those Vit C supplement from Kent marine, Brightwell ect..

Ok, thank you. Currently, I'm only dosing Seachem Reef Plus concentrated vitamin and amino acids supplement and Kent Marine Tech I.

My 1.5ft Nano tank

i am not sure vitamin c is the get well plan for the zoa . .

Bro, I've checked the salinity after calibrating the refractometer. Reading is 1.025. Ok, right? I'm now willing to try anything, man. Just bot a sump tank from a bro here. Now finding overflow box. So I'm open to vitamin C n oyster feast too.

My 1.5ft Nano tank

• 1 month later...

nice zoas!

Thanks bro. Unfortunately they are almost all gone liao. Left a few polyps which I hope I can keep them alive.

My 1.5ft Nano tank

• SRC Member

Beside lugol, tropic marine iodine ? Those concentrated type which dose daily, but must not over dose.

Tks

---2Ft Cube by MarineLife---2008-2009

http://w w w.absolutereef . com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12369

Skimmer: Deltec APF600 feeder by Eheim 1250

Lighting: Solite 150MH 14k

Supplement: Giesemann T5 Razor, Actinic Plus ~22k

Top-up: Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

Return: Eheim 1260

Reactor: Skimz FR Rowaphos

---------------------------------------------------------

---1.5Ft Cube by Iwarna---2010- ???

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/95312-nano-15-cube/

Tank: 1.5Ft Cube,Sump with Chengai Wood Cabinate

skimmer: Reef Oct Nw110

Return: Eheim 1250

Chiller: Hailea HC150A with feeder Eheim Compact 1000

Reactor: Phosphan with Rowaphos

Lighting: MaxSpec G2 110w,DELighting T5 ATI*2,Giesemann T5 Razor ATI*2

WaveMaker: MP10 VorTech

Top Up : ATO with Tank

-------------------------Your Advice is my Success

• SRC Member

Bro law1210, wher do u stay? If ur staying nearby hougang, maybe u can dropby my place.

Will share wit u on how to keep zoas healthy. U be surprise on how easy it is to get ur zoas grow fast n open up nicely.

Cheers bro...

• SRC Member
Bro law1210, wher do u stay? If ur staying nearby hougang, maybe u can dropby my place.

Will share wit u on how to keep zoas healthy. U be surprise on how easy it is to get ur zoas grow fast n open up nicely.

Cheers bro...

Bro cool guy, I also want to learn your secret....we go together your house to attend Zoas 101....haha

-
5x1.5x2ft Tank

5x2.5x2 Full Height Tank

Cheers bro...

Bro cool guy, I also want to learn your secret....we go together your house to attend Zoas 101....haha

Haha yes yes I would love to. I'm staying in AMK and would love to drop by your place. I remember you put your 'open house' schedule for this week in your thread. Let me go look at them.

So far I've been to bro Cedric and Thairun place recently...and of course cannot resist getting some of their nice zoas from them. haha.

I've also made a few major changes to my tank to aid the zoas survival. Have sold the Blue Tang and changed to sump tank for filtration. So far zoa colony has stopped the decline and showed signs of new growth. But that's only 2-3 weeks so far. Need to monitor further and meanwhile I love to learn more on how to make them thrive.

My 1.5ft Nano tank

All r welcum to come over...

Im free on fri n sat... But best if can come on fri... :)

Fri I take half day. Will go visit you in the afternoon for the lesson. ;-) Dunno bro spkentchai can make it or not.

My 1.5ft Nano tank