Shallow Nano Tank w/ wo Sump

hobgoblin

Hi fellow nano reefers,

I have been around in this forum for some time. I gave up reefing a few years ago due to my busy schedule and commitments. It took some time to read up on the latest offerings for equipment, trends etc. I am so tempted to pick it up again.

However, before I proceed, I'd like to find out what you guys think of a shallow tank, maybe 2-3 feet long. I am thinking of using an external canister filter instead of a sump. In my previous set-up I had an overflow tube and a sump, and that posed several problems for me, especially when it came to maintenance. My concept is to keep it compact and tidy, because I do see myself shifting in the next 6 months.

Skimmer wise, I will probably opt for the MCE600, and lighting either maxspect, if not ikea laps with PAR led lamps.

I was also wondering it it is more ideal to go to a tank maker/ shop to design the tank (like Henry @ ML, CR etc).

With such a setup, it will be more focused on inverts like snails, hermits, shrimps, and gobies with LPS, SPS and zoas. Looking at bare tank for ease of maintenance.

Any advice?

• SRC Member

just curious how come sump is more troublesome than canister?

i started off with canister ... "mislead" by a colleague who keeps fresh water fish

still remember is ehiem model 2222

I dislike opening the canister for maintenance .. worst, that model needs priming

with a sump I can just grab and go :lol: ...

most importantly got visibility and bigger area to work with

• SRC Member

+2 for sump...

NV NV a canister for marine..

1st setup also canister.. regret totally...

just do a proper and nice sump.. will keep u satisfied...

if u need any design and plan.. mabb can pm me and we discuss...

cos im thinking of redoing my sump also.. can exchange ideas as i just realised sump design is very very impt too..

cheers

• Like 1

My 3ft tank

Dimension --> 3ftx1.5ftx2ft

Ehiem 1262 return

Ehiem 1260

Artica 1/5hp Chiller

Tunze 6055 + 7091 single controller

EcoTech Marine Vortech MP40W

Royal Exclusive Mini BubbleKing 160

Lumenarc 250watt 10K BLV

02x Giesemann T5 39watt (blue + Actinic)

Deltec 501 CR

I have experience with both sump and canister. I feel that for canister, I just have to be weary of the type of media, and the potential nitrate spike after maintenance.

What affects my decision at the moment is:

1) Make a complete tank setup with sump and cabinet

2) Keep it simple without sump

Of course there will be a significant saving for option 2, and it is sustainable for a nano with less bio-load.

By the way, would appreciate sharing of price quotes of tank makers via PM.

• SRC Member

maintainence via canister is definitely much much more troublesome as compared to sump.. a sump allows you to put filter media such as filter socks and you can have ample of space (subjected to planning of sump) to place your equiptments like skimmer, pumps, etc.. unless you really screw up your sump, it will never be a nitrate factory as compared to a canister..

IMHO.. Sump for the win!:thumbsup:

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

Hi bro! When I started reefing, I used a canister filter! First I got myself a sunsun canister with built in uv light. Then I added 1 more canister thinking that it would be better! Indeed it was running perfectly! So I kept it that way, as weeks passed I was curious about the amount of debri that was collected by the canisters! So I didn't know when was the right time to service the canisters! Then I just got too lazy and left them with no service for about 8 months! Now I've totally changed my system! I have a four feet tank and 3 feet sump! It's so much easier to keep an eye on everything! I believe your previous system had a DIY overflow pipe or something like that so chances of problems are there! Best to go with an overflow box built in already! So piping will be much easier! Sump is still the best! Good luck bro!:)

manubevcomp2jh5.png

• SRC Member

So to say, cannister is not a good form of filtering tools for a.marine tank?

What if a tank i have does not have any holes for piping to sump? How to do this?

I've used canister before and i would not recommend it as it is a nitrate factory.. unless you are able to deligently clean it every week...

you can try using an external overflow box to link it to a sump...

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

So to say, cannister is not a good form of filtering tools for a.marine tank?

What if a tank i have does not have any holes for piping to sump? How to do this?

U can find a tank maker to do this or u can find someone who knows plumbing to do it. But the easier way to go to Tank maker to custom make your own design or purchase a ready made model thats comes with cabinet and sump.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.