Restart of Marine Tank

klim

• SRC Member

Hi Reefers,

My tank was running empty for about half a year after the last fish passed away :(

The water in the tank still exist and I was thinking of restarting all over again on this hobby. However, I would like to know whether should I drain out everything and wash the sand and rocks before I start to keep fishes/corals. Honestly speaking, the tank was not maintained for at least the last 2 years plus - did not changed water (just top up), did not add any chemical, but filtration is still running with a sump tank below.

With all the experts experience, what would be the best solution in my case.

Thank you in advance for your advise.

• SRC Member

Hi Reefers,

My tank was running empty for about half a year after the last fish passed away :(

The water in the tank still exist and I was thinking of restarting all over again on this hobby. However, I would like to know whether should I drain out everything and wash the sand and rocks before I start to keep fishes/corals. Honestly speaking, the tank was not maintained for at least the last 2 years plus - did not changed water (just top up), did not add any chemical, but filtration is still running with a sump tank below.

With all the experts experience, what would be the best solution in my case.

Thank you in advance for your advise.

Glad to always hear reefers coming back to this hobby...

I feel that you should drain out everything...

If possible, get rid of the sand and rocks as well...

Start everything afresh... :peace:

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• 7 months later...
  • SRC Member

Bros, Need help!

Some background history:

I used to have fishes and corals in my tank, all LS was gone 3 years ago and I was too busy and left the tank running without doing anything except adding water. Last weekend, I decided to do something and I removed the old water, took out the dead rocks and dirty sand. Washed them with tap water and cleaned thoroughly. Replaced all the sand and rocks back to my tank. Washed up the sump and pump.

Now I have top up the water and will add salt into the system and let it runs for weeks till I know I can start raring LS.

My question:

1. I understand although my sand and rocks are considered dead. I can still reuse them and once my water is stable, I can use LR with Coraline Algae to seed the Rocks back to live (if it will)? Anyone agree?

2. I don't know what things I should do now, pls give me some pointers.

Really appreciate. :thumbsup:

Big mistake - Never wash your LRs in tap water! Although they have been neglected for very long, the micro-organisms in the LR will suffer with the chlorine and chloramine leeching into the LR during your washing. This will have bad repercussion towards your re-start efforts.

I have had LRs that will neglected too and when I used them for my tank, they tends to have nuisance algae which I surmise could be due to the LR is leeching nutrients from the nutrients absorbed during the long period of neglect. And the worst is when these nutrients (organic base) are being leeched, they leech in a minute amount thus difficult to be tested from normal test kit. However, they will fuel nuisance algae, dino and cyano growth.

LRs can be re-seeded but will take time especially when you have washed with tap water. Be prepared for nuisance outbreak for a longer period of time compared to good quality LRs in new start-up.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

thanks Gouldian for the advice.

I did not really washed the LR with Tab Water, only the Sand to clear the debris and dirty sand. The LR is assumed dead since it has been in the tank for 3 years or more without water changed just top up with DI water. Most of the rock have white patches on it.

Between, I read that it is better to us dead rock as it do away with all unwanted pests that live in it.

Please tell me based on your knowledge should I continue with what I do?

Big mistake - Never wash your LRs in tap water! Although they have been neglected for very long, the micro-organisms in the LR will suffer with the chlorine and chloramine leeching into the LR during your washing. This will have bad repercussion towards your re-start efforts.

I have had LRs that will neglected too and when I used them for my tank, they tends to have nuisance algae which I surmise could be due to the LR is leeching nutrients from the nutrients absorbed during the long period of neglect. And the worst is when these nutrients (organic base) are being leeched, they leech in a minute amount thus difficult to be tested from normal test kit. However, they will fuel nuisance algae, dino and cyano growth.

LRs can be re-seeded but will take time especially when you have washed with tap water. Be prepared for nuisance outbreak for a longer period of time compared to good quality LRs in new start-up.

Hi bro,

Personally, I can't advise much as I am still tackling this problem on a piece of my favourite LR which was left in a blue tub for 2 years without lights but with skimmer and weekly top up of distilled water.

After the LR was introduce into my main tank, hair algae start growing and spread towards the glass and neighbouring LRs.

I only manages to control it by brushing away the hair algae weekly during my regular water changes. I belive this regime will slowly eliminate the problem.

However, if it were to happen to a piece of LR I like, I will just throw it away. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

Thanks Gouldian. I know the breaching will happened and it will take some time for it to stop since the LR has not been touch for long time. I am still pondering...haiz :-(

Dun sign... at least you know that I am also facing the same situation as you!

Happy reefing bro!

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

Reading this just reminded me of my previous situation which was very similar. My previous tank was left neglected for years with just a few super hardy fish. When I restarted my current tank, I reused the live rocks after trying to scrap off as much algae as possible. In this case, the rocks are not exactly dead but in fact infested with lots of bristle worm. While cycling, I remember seeing how these bristle worms came out in droves to feast on the rotting market prawn. Then, very soon, nuisance algae began to take over and I pretty much ended up with a planted reef tank. All these while, I continue to test 0 for PO4. To cut the story short, I changed out all my life rocks in the end.

Specs

Return pump: 2 x Eheim 1260 (with 1 pumped to chiller before returning to main)
Chiller: Hailea HC-500A (1/2 hp)
Skimmer: Deltec SC2060
Lightings: 8 x 24W ATI Sunpower T5 fixture
Wavemakers: Vortech MP40, MP10, Tunze nanostream 6045
Additives: TLF C-balance (2 parts Ca and Alk) via Kamoer 3 channel dosing pump; Polyp-lab Reef Resh; FM color elements

After a long while our of this reefing, saw a thread about Algae Scrubber. Did you happen to try it to reduce the PO4 and NO3?

No, I have never used algae scrubber. Can share much on them. ;)

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

This skimmer looks like Aqua Medic and should comes with a oceanrunner needlewheel pump. Do check whether your comes with it or has it been swopped. If it comes with, check whether it impellor is not stuck.

http://www.marinedepot.com/protein_skimmers_aqua_medic_turboflotor_t1000-ap.html

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

Red Sea Berlin is a venturi skimmer, what pump you used for the skimmer? According to their manuals, you need a 2200l/hr pump.

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

I using a dive power 400....should be a 400l/hr pump. I think something faulty, when I was washing the skimmer, a square piece of thingy fall out from the skimmer.

Any one has idea where to get it repair?

I missed your bidding on the skimmer, sharks! Else I would have bid to get it, now recycling the tank without skimmer..... @_@

I using a dive power 400....should be a 400l/hr pump. I think something faulty, when I was washing the skimmer, a square piece of thingy fall out from the skimmer.

Any one has idea where to get it repair?

I missed your bidding on the skimmer, sharks! Else I would have bid to get it, now recycling the tank without skimmer..... @_@

400l/hr is in sufficient, the berlin needs 2200l/hr.

If the piece that broke is not from the venturi part of the skimmer or the pump, it shouldn't affect the skimming.

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

It is inside the the body of the Venturi :( I can see a swirl inside the body and previously, I remembered I do not see such thing. With this swirl, not much bubble is created, hence don't think it is skimming anything.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi bro ,

after I come back holiday trip last few day , almost my marine fish And coral is die n I quickly transfer my rest of the fish and coral to another tank . And I realize my water inside of my main tank was spoilt , I drain out all the water from my main tank , I really don know Wat to do at next step....

I got few question....

do I wash my live sand n rock with tap water or mix salt water.....??

• SRC Member

Use saltwater. Marine micro-organisms on your LR and sand is unlikely to survive if you use tap water. If they died off due to the tap water, you will have a harder time curing them.

IMO rinse them with new mix salt water and put them back in tank. Let the water cycle and closely monitor the parameters. Probably don't add any livestock first.

I also have similar experience when I needed to rinse and wash my LR. I did it with saltwater but even so there is bound to be some died off when cleaning. Then just let the water run and cycle and sit back patiently :)

Regards,
Jeff

Aquarium: 48" x 18" x 24" tank with 24" x 15" x 15" sump (approx. 150 gallons)
Equipment: Maxspect Razor 320W, Vortech MP40, Vertex Omega 180i, Eheim 1262 return pump, Hailea HS 66A, Bacteria King
Fish and coral food: Henry's Reefgourmet pellets, Preis coral energizer, Kent Marine PhytoPlex, Brightwell Reef Snow, Two-Little Fishies Marine Snow
Dosage: Triton Elements

IMG_0562small.jpg

• SRC Member

It is inside the the body of the Venturi :( I can see a swirl inside the body and previously, I remembered I do not see such thing. With this swirl, not much bubble is created, hence don't think it is skimming anything.

bro, as bro gouldian says, ur pump is insufficient for ur skimmer.. U need a 2200L/hr pump for ur skimmer.

• Like 1

Teh'sTankSetup Decomm on 18/8/2012

Tank: 2x1x1 Rimless Tank (Sumpless)

Lighting: Aquazonic 2x24watts T5 (Actinic x Sun White)

Moonlight: Acardia 1W Led Light (Blue)

Filter: ISTA Max Care Cannister

Skimmer: Bubble Magus E3

Chiller: Resun CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Wave: Boyu WM-25

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Tank: 3x2x2.5

Lighting: 250w DeLighting MH/ 2x 39w Delighting Diy T5 ATI Blue Plus

Skimmer: H&S Skimmer Type 110-F2000

Chiller: CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Return Pump: Eheim 1260

Reactor: D&D H2Ocean FMR 75 (ADA 1500 Pump)(Rowaphos)

Wavemaker: 2x SunSun Wavemaker (3000L)

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

ATO System/Tunze Osmolator

Magic Marine 3CH Dosing Pump

• 3 weeks later...