5cm rimless 1.5ft tank

red sea prizm skimmer

jireh quick start system

2 t5 lights-2x16w

-2x22w

salt-dd H20

12kg live rock

1kg live sand

By the way, can i shorten the cycling period as nitrite 0-0.05ppm,ph8.2 and alkalinity 6meq/L?

hi,just bought my tank after three months of saving, researching, and waiting for my PSLE to end from the pasar malam(very cheap and only 8 months old! :) )pictures will post later, so stay tuned! :)

Wow, what a young reefer? Will be waiting to see your tank pics. :phone:

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

by the way, a 25g tank can keep how many fishes? sorry for questions, but am planning my LS list.

Firstly, I doubt you have 25g of water in there. Reason being:

(1) We typically don't fill the tank to its brim. Leaving a couple inches from the brim will give you about 22.5g of water.

(2) Your rocks & sand will probably displace another 1 or 2 gallons.

Now, come to your question of how many fishes the amount of water can support. Below is a useful link that calculates for you.

http://www.howmanyfish.com/#page=page-1

• SRC Member

my LS list(what i plan to get)for the first 6 months:2 true perc clowns

2 cleaner shrimps

soft corals and LPS(haven't decided what species yet, can anyone recommend?)

is it true that if i start with less LS,my tank would have less chance to crash?

:ThanxSmiley:

• SRC Member

my LS list(what i plan to get)for the first 6 months:2 true perc clowns

2 cleaner shrimps

soft corals and LPS(haven't decided what species yet, can anyone recommend?)

is it true that if i start with less LS,my tank would have less chance to crash?

:ThanxSmiley:

given the size of your tank.. do remember to buy small frags of corals.. do not buy anything bigger than a fist else you will run out of space soon!

LPS.. there is so many to choose from, its really up to you buddy!

If you have patience and practice good husbandry.. your tank will have less chance to crash.. =]

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• SRC Member

forget to add, algae looks brown and its not only growing on glass but also growing on sandbed. any idea how to remove po4 other than major water change. heard that there is such thing as a po4 remover. any recommendations and what is the price like? :ThanxSmiley:

• SRC Member

forget to add, algae looks brown and its not only growing on glass but also growing on sandbed. any idea how to remove po4 other than major water change. heard that there is such thing as a po4 remover. any recommendations and what is the price like? :ThanxSmiley:

Welcome to join in the battle of diatoms/cyanobacteria...:) its pretty common for those bloom when starting...:) anw ways to prevent are RO/Di water, using macroalgae, fluidised reactor(biopellets), phosphate removal media...:) oh yaa, if u are, since ur just cycling ur tank, can just switch off or minimise ur lights...

Fresh fishes and inverts! What's next? To the salty side of marine of course!:)

"Never to part, lest jealous heaven stole our hearts"

• SRC Member

maybe can add one turbo or astrea snail to ease your itch

that's what I did. :lol: ... may not be a recommended practice

liverock already in? dose bacteria additives to boost bacteria growth

to control phosphate and silicate that support your brown alage growth, for a simple quick fix, you can get seachem phosguard and put in a filter bag at a high flow area ... e.g. can get from AM, phosgauard 250ml + bag ard $12 or less.

If you ok with fluidized reactor with rowaphos, then by all means.

• SRC Member

Welcome to join in the battle of diatoms/cyanobacteria...:) its pretty common for those bloom when starting...:) anw ways to prevent are RO/Di water, using macroalgae, fluidised reactor(biopellets), phosphate removal media...:) oh yaa, if u are, since ur just cycling ur tank, can just switch off or minimise ur lights...

this diatom thingy really is endless fight

thought it was kept at bay then comes green alage

but for the sake of a nice tank :lol: .. worth the trouble for regular maintenance

• SRC Member

hi,

still in the mist of cycling my tank. just changed water this morning.tested the water and found that nitrite levels rised from 0ppm to 0.1ppm. would like to know if this is normal and if is not, what corrective measures should i take. :ThanxSmiley:

• SRC Member

ammonia and nitrate never test cause someone advised me that since ammonia will turn into nitrite, ammonia do not need to test.as for why change water , is because going to put in coral soon as it seems that the hitchiker coral in my tank seems to be thriving well.

• SRC Member

Please read the cycling article on our forum. whether or not you want to follow is up to you. There's no need to change water during the cycle. It may actually interfere with the cycling process.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)