McNugget's Sea of Love

McNugget

I have never thought of owing a marine tank because my dad's algae dominated freshwater tank, seated at a corner of my house for the last 5years or so, totally turned me off. I always thought keeping a pup would be much better (at least pup can response and understand man's language) than looking at the fishes swimming to n fro in the tank. That was then, before my bf introduced me to the world of marine life... :groupwavereversed:

Im still pretty new to the hobby, but I can see myself acquiring more interest with each passing day, under the influence of my bf and his fish buddies (can anybody imagine having your phone beeping nonstop with whatsapp msges about fishes & corals!!)... Their passion for this hobby really intrigue me to really want to find out more about it. And as I go around visiting fish farms/shops and houses and houses with beautiful marine tanks, I decided that yes, I should have one too. together with my bf! :yahoo:

Because of space and most importantly S-11 constrain at this point in time, we could only keep a 3x2x2ft tank. The tank (together with the cabinet and the sump)is currently still in the making, will be ready in about 2weeks time! :lol: Meanwhile, we managed to strike off many of the to-buy-items from our long list today:

- Pump to chiller (Ehiem 1260)

- Pump to main tank (Ehiem Compact 3000)

- Protein Skimmer (Skimz SM161)

- Lighting (Orphek PR-156W for LED)

- Chiller (Chiller is Teco TR20)

- Biohome

- Sea mix (DD H2Ocean)

Burnt a hole in the pocket this weekend, expecting a deeper hole next weekend... Anyway, I would like to give thanks to Mr Yeo for the free chiller! Really appreciate his kind gesture :bow:

I will be posting some pictures on the tank design and items purchased in the next post...

Anyway... before I wrap up my first post on my newbie tank, Sea of Love represents my newly acquired love to this hobby and also my love to my bf :yahoo::D:P Hopefully we will also grow together, along with the fishes and corals!! ^_^

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good choice of equipment. :welldone:

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

Welcome to the reeding scene!

Specs

Return pump: 2 x Eheim 1260 (with 1 pumped to chiller before returning to main)
Chiller: Hailea HC-500A (1/2 hp)
Skimmer: Deltec SC2060
Lightings: 8 x 24W ATI Sunpower T5 fixture
Wavemakers: Vortech MP40, MP10, Tunze nanostream 6045
Additives: TLF C-balance (2 parts Ca and Alk) via Kamoer 3 channel dosing pump; Polyp-lab Reef Resh; FM color elements

• SRC Member

So sweets.

Cammping here.

One fine day, who know your bf might propose to you hiding a ring in your reef tank. Keke

:groupwavereversed:

---2Ft Cube by MarineLife---2008-2009

http://w w w.absolutereef . com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12369

Skimmer: Deltec APF600 feeder by Eheim 1250

Lighting: Solite 150MH 14k

Supplement: Giesemann T5 Razor, Actinic Plus ~22k

Top-up: Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

Return: Eheim 1260

Reactor: Skimz FR Rowaphos

---------------------------------------------------------

---1.5Ft Cube by Iwarna---2010- ???

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/95312-nano-15-cube/

Tank: 1.5Ft Cube,Sump with Chengai Wood Cabinate

skimmer: Reef Oct Nw110

Return: Eheim 1250

Chiller: Hailea HC150A with feeder Eheim Compact 1000

Reactor: Phosphan with Rowaphos

Lighting: MaxSpec G2 110w,DELighting T5 ATI*2,Giesemann T5 Razor ATI*2

WaveMaker: MP10 VorTech

Top Up : ATO with Tank

-------------------------Your Advice is my Success

- Pump to chiller (Ehiem 1260)

- Pump to main tank (Ehiem Compact 3000)

Sorry. But why use Ehiem 1260 for pump to chiller while using the compact 3000 for return pump? Cos the compatible version have lesser head than the universal version (aka 12xx series)

For me, same tank size, but I using 1264 for return pump and compact 2000 to chiller.

Btw, welcome and happy reefing. :)

i often have to choose between departing with a sum of money for either fish products/equipments...etc or buying other stuff...

but often it goes to my marine hobby!!!

remember patience is the key for this hobby!!!

good luck!

i have never been so crazy over a hobby......now you fishes are my next best friends!!!!!!

Sorry. But why use Ehiem 1260 for pump to chiller while using the compact 3000 for return pump? Cos the compatible version have lesser head than the universal version (aka 12xx series)

For me, same tank size, but I using 1264 for return pump and compact 2000 to chiller.

Btw, welcome and happy reefing. :)

Hi Kira,

According to what I have gathered, the normal rule of thumb for the flow rate is to use about 5-7 times of the tank's volume. Hence, it would mean that if my tank's volume is 300L, we would only need around 2000L/hr for the combined return pump and chiller pump. The combined flow rate must synchroize with the efficiency of the skimmer. Running it at 1264 as return sounds a little too overkill. The skimmer may not be able to skim all the water passing through it efficiently.

As the return pipes are less complex and shorter, running the compact 3000 wouldn't lose much of the flow rate. The chiller return has longer distance to cover, and more 90 degree elbows, so we are using a stronger pump, ie 1260.

I am still in the learning process, based on my understanding from my bf, thats the reason why we are using Ehiem1260 as the chiller pump, and Compact3000 as the return pump directly to the main tank.

good idea... but like this must put in a big tank.. more challenging! LOL

NO WAY man!! :angry2: The current tank will last us for the next few years leh!! upgrading would mean more S-11 needed!

LOL.. I doubt he will do that anyway... he's not the romantic or creative type... LOL ;)