McNugget's Sea of Love

McNugget

But curry sauce discontinued........unless it's BBQ? Oh.......sweet and sour sauce?

Hope he's not sour but sweet like his other half. Don't wanna mess around with a sour reefer.

Disclaimer: I don't mean lemon ah! Lol

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Les.. Self Ding.. :idea:

McNugget.. care to share what fishes both of you intend to keep?

Was thinking of keeping some clearing crews like sea cucumber, alage blenny, tuxedo urchin, sand sifting star and boxing shrimp.

Fishes like coral beauty,flame angelfish,Powderblue tang,clownfish,six line wrasse,Royal Gramma Basslet, yellow globy,Bartlett's Anthias, Splendid Leopard wrasse,Mandarin Dragonet.... list actually goes on but is constraint by the size of the tank... :(

I wanted dottyback,yellowtail dameselfish and fairy wrasse but heard that they are either too agressive or they may potentially jump out of the tank. Is that true???

• SRC Member

Was thinking of keeping some clearing crews like sea cucumber, alage blenny, tuxedo urchin, sand sifting star and boxing shrimp.

Fishes like coral beauty,flame angelfish,Powderblue tang,clownfish,six line wrasse,Royal Gramma Basslet, yellow globy,Bartlett's Anthias, Splendid Leopard wrasse,Mandarin Dragonet.... list actually goes on but is constraint by the size of the tank... :(

I wanted dottyback,yellowtail dameselfish and fairy wrasse but heard that they are either too agressive or they may potentially jump out of the tank. Is that true???

LOL.. why do girls always like dottybanks and damsel fish? my gf also the same.. dry.gif:cheers:

And yes.. they can be quite territorial! As your BF to keep AT.. haha.. i'm sure he wants that..

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

Certain species of dotty backs and damsels are very aggressive but not all, so you might wanna do more homework on that. As for fairy wrasse it depends on it's tank mates. If it's being constantly harassed, chances are it'll jump like most reef fishes. So planning of fishes and their compatibility is a must.

Are you keeping a bare bottom or a sand bedded tank?

If it's a sand bedded tank, sand shifting star, sand dollar and narcissus snail are a good bet.

Other cleaning crews that are ideal are red legged hermit crab, abalone, turbo snails, tuxedo urchins and sea hare.

Do note that urchins and turbo snails are famous for knocking off frags or taking frags for a ride.

I won't take boxing shrimp as a clean up crew unless you're talking it eating left over food.

Wonderful to see another reef couple joining this hobby, can see that you and your bf already receiving very warm welcome from all corners in SRC :thumbsup:

Am very impress with your planning schematic, seems like you or bf in engineering field ?

Having a reef tank is surely exciting. But the maintenance chore will come in no time, be it placement ( or even taking out) of wave makers, cleaning of glass panel and siphoning of detritus could be make easier with careful planning and placement of your tank location. Talk to some of the seniors ppl like Eniram, Wilson who already has gone through the baptism of salt water :upsidedown: as they will give you valuable advise in setting up new system. Because once your tank is filled and stocking begins, it's very unlikely you will get a chance to shift the tank. So my advice is give yourself ( or your bf ) ample space for manoeuvrings.

Also, do plan ahead for some infrastructure such as piping for water change / auto water top-off etc well ahead of the tank placement. This will help to relieve you and your bf much work in the maintenance work and you will get to enjoy your reef tank more.

Once again, welcome to the family :friends:

Hi Cedric, I have long heard your name as well as your beautiful tanks!

We are not in the engineering industry haha... but bf is very meticulous in planning..

Yeah, you are right :agreed: .. Starting up a tank is not easy!! I am overwhelmed with information from the books which i borrowed, from the forum and common reefers!!! A lot more to learn from senior reefers like u!!! :lol:

Hi there, welcome to the reefing community.

You're most welcome to ask us questions, what i've learnt in reefing is constant sharing of experiences. From there we can pick each other up when we feel jaded or to share the happiness and joy of reefing.

Thank you Cedric, credit should go to you and all the other reefers out there. We won't be here today if not for the meet ups and sharing with us your vast knowledge and experiences.

Don't mind me asking you a silly question but any chance you and ketchup related? Seems to me that ketchup and Mcnuggets are somehow related. Also don't tell me your bf nick is quarter pounder?

:P Hi Bro, Thank you!

Looking forward to learning from you and the senior reefers in SRC!

haha, no la, not related leh... you are creative! wah, you have a voracious appetite! nuggets and quarter pounder very filling leh...

• SRC Member

royal gramma and 6 line also aggressive.. yellow wrasse and splendid leopard wrasse will be better choice. Fairy wrasses are famous for their high jump capabilities and damselfishes/dottyback are mostly fairly aggressive.

Welcome...welcome...!

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

If it's a sand bedded tank, sand shifting star, sand dollar and narcissus snail are a good bet.

Other cleaning crews that are ideal are red legged hermit crab, abalone, turbo snails, tuxedo urchins and sea hare.

Do note that urchins and turbo snails are famous for knocking off frags or taking frags for a ride.

I won't take boxing shrimp as a clean up crew unless you're talking it eating left over food.

yup, dont get turbo snails (too big and knocks frags down or mow them over!), get nascissus snail (anyone see it recently?). Also boxer shrimp is not that good choice... if want, maybe a cleaner shrimp is better... at least helps to clean the fish and looks pretty nice :)

• SRC Member

yup, dont get turbo snails (too big and knocks frags down or mow them over!), get nascissus snail (anyone see it recently?). Also boxer shrimp is not that good choice... if want, maybe a cleaner shrimp is better... at least helps to clean the fish and looks pretty nice :)

brittle stars are good CUC too.. there is this kind of snail which is quite good as CUC too.. let me pass to you when your tank is setup.. The CLINIC also got alot of those snails..

Kio Zup.. that day CF i tried to find dun have leh..

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

Do note that tuxedo urchin eat coralline algea so I wouldn't recommend it to a new tank.

LOL.. why do girls always like dottybanks and damsel fish? my gf also the same.. dry.gif:cheers:

And yes.. they can be quite territorial! As your BF to keep AT.. haha.. i'm sure he wants that..

Because their coloration is amazing beautiful!!! YEAH AT is nice also.. can consider...

i wanted hermit crab but bf said they will disturb the corals.. wah abalone?! They are the edible ones? :P:P Will they attack the corals? I have read that Nassarius snails, though they are excellant detritus eaters, but they could potentially become a pest because they reproduce too rapidly???

• SRC Member

i wanted hermit crab but bf said they will disturb the corals.. wah abalone?! They are the edible ones? :P:P Will they attack the corals? I have read that Nassarius snails, though they are excellant detritus eaters, but they could potentially become a pest because they reproduce too rapidly???

trust me once u see the abalone in the reef tank, you wont feel like having them for your next meal :P

get a few Nassarius snails... interesting to watch..

they'll all be under the sand and once they detect the smell of food,

you'll start to see all of them climbing out from the sand...

dont worry about them reproducing too rapidly,

wont be so bad to the extent that they become a pests...

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

Get those red scarlet hermit. Small and cute and they seldom disturb corals. Do chk on them and decide. Common stock for CF.

Because their coloration is amazing beautiful!!! YEAH AT is nice also.. can consider...

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

trust me once u see the abalone in the reef tank, you wont feel like having them for your next meal :Pget a few Nassarius snails... interesting to watch..they'll all be under the sand and once they detect the smell of food,you'll start to see all of them climbing out from the sand...dont worry about them reproducing too rapidly,wont be so bad to the extent that they become a pests...

:sick: my bf was also tellig me exactly the same as what u have just said about the abalone... :look: but i thought it looks cool! Ppl in the forum influence each other, he wanna have the nassarius snails too... but not the cleaning shrimp though...

Get those red scarlet hermit. Small and cute and they seldom disturb corals. Do chk on them and decide. Common stock for CF.

Hi bro, are you sure the scarlet hermit doesnt disturb the corals???? If thats the case, i would love to have it!! :ooh:

• SRC Member

sometimes u can get live abalone in cold storage...much cheaper than getting them in LFS...and they r the same as those u c in the LFS...they r good algae eaters...

i have 3 snails in my 3ft tank...pretty hardworking too...but will topple yr corals. So, u have to secure yr corals on the rocks.

AT is like the oracle among tang lovers...if only they r easy to keep haha...

i bet yr bf will like powder blues too...

l7304smr.jpg

brittle stars are good CUC too.. there is this kind of snail which is quite good as CUC too.. let me pass to you when your tank is setup.. The CLINIC also got alot of those snails..

Kio Zup.. that day CF i tried to find dun have leh..

:ThanxSmiley: All donations are most welcomed!! :whistle

Does star fishes consume the coral polyps and snails? Read about it somewhere...

Have any one of you tried keeping oysters, mussels (not the clams which we normally see in the shops)? Possible to keep it in the tank??

sometimes u can get live abalone in cold storage...much cheaper than getting them in LFS...and they r the same as those u c in the LFS...they r good algae eaters...

i have 3 snails in my 3ft tank...pretty hardworking too...but will topple yr corals. So, u have to secure yr corals on the rocks.

AT is like the oracle among tang lovers...if only they r easy to keep haha...

i bet yr bf will like powder blues too...

I cant imagine the small creatures to be strong enoough to move the corals!!

AT... if only its more affordable

We already kinda came up with a fish list, realised there is so many fishes that we want but limited by the tank size..

• SRC Member

:ThanxSmiley: All donations are most welcomed!! :whistle

Does star fishes consume the coral polyps and snails? Read about it somewhere...

Have any one of you tried keeping oysters, mussels (not the clams which we normally see in the shops)? Possible to keep it in the tank??

I think you mean those large clams? Those are good, help to clean the water also.

Siang, Narsi snails won't topple corals, they too small.

I think you mean those large clams? Those are good, help to clean the water also.

Siang, Narsi snails won't topple corals, they too small.

No not those clams, ie Tridacna maxima, which we see at lfs.. i mean those pearl oysters and edible mussels... :rolleyes: can they be kept in the tank??

Anyone knows where to find oysters/mussels??? :nc:

Super market?

Scarlet hermit crabs are very ideal, not aggressive and always small in size.

Keeping oyster would be an issue as you'll need really cold waters and mussels harbor a lot of pest and parasites which I won't advice adding into your tank.