McNugget's Sea of Love

McNugget

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Have any one of you tried keeping oysters, mussels (not the clams which we normally see in the shops)? Possible to keep it in the tank??

dun think its very possible.. i believe they need to be in high nutrients water to survive... if thats the case.. you cannot keep alot of corals le.. LOL

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

Yes. U can try contact Henry to chk out what he has. Understand a bro bought oyster from him and doing well but not sure whether same as those in ss.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

lol... interesting thread even before tank cycling....

you can try keeping "see hum", lala also.... yum yum....

tuxedo urchin can keep during initial stage (1st 2- 3 months)

will help to keep your brown algae boom in check during new tank syndrome.

after that, you can sell the urchin away.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

:mellow: WAH, haha... i wanna try keeping those invertebrates not for own consumption leh.. i just thought it would be interesting to keep something which is consumable in my own reef tank...

But of cos i will take into considerations what the senior reefers have said about the incompatibility and the danger of keeping some. of the invertebrates. i wont want to endanger my other tank inhabitants because of my own liking too leh.. bf is a staunch aquarist that doesnt tolerate nonsense! :cry:

• SRC Member

:mellow: WAH, haha... i wanna try keeping those invertebrates not for own consumption leh.. i just thought it would be interesting to keep something which is consumable in my own reef tank...

But of cos i will take into considerations what the senior reefers have said about the incompatibility and the danger of keeping some. of the invertebrates. i wont want to endanger my other tank inhabitants because of my own liking too leh.. bf is a staunch aquarist that doesnt tolerate nonsense! :cry:

mussels are food for angels leh...haha :whistle

yr bf will have a better idea of what fishes to keep to make yr reef tank look good...u have to trust him on this

Cheers!

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

Alot of stuff are all based on experience.. of cos you can try out what you want too but it MIGHT be a waste of time and money.. worst if tank crash.. so do some reading up (i'm sure you are already doing so!) and you will slowly pick up the dos and dont's of this hobby.. :superman:

lol... interesting thread even before tank cycling....

you can try keeping "see hum", lala also.... yum yum....

tuxedo urchin can keep during initial stage (1st 2- 3 months)

will help to keep your brown algae boom in check during new tank syndrome.

after that, you can sell the urchin away.

Hi Jacky, u mentioned that tuxedo urchin can only be kept during the initial stages.. Why is that so??

Hi Jacky, u mentioned that tuxedo urchin can only be kept during the initial stages.. Why is that so??

During the initial stage of a newly setup tank, there will be a lot of undesirable hairy algae, diatoms that surfaces.

having tuxedo urchin will help to clean these algae, diatoms on the rock. The path that these urchin leave behind after munching will be white.

I have a pic on my tank thread. will try to see if I can find it.

As Ray mentioned... Tuxedo consumes all types of algae.... including coraline algae. Coraline algae are purple algae the encrust on Live Rocks... highly desired by a lot of reefers. So once after the algae boom stage in the newly setup tank is over, then you can sell or give them away so that your coraline algae has a chance to grow.

Hopes this make sense.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

heard yr tank is coming very soon...looking forward to the pics! :groupwavereversed:

Ya man! Tank gonna come soon, hope there will not be ny delay...

Can't wait for the cycling period to end (though it hasn't even started yet)... And go Xmas shopping for fishes lol

http://www.mcdonalds.com.sg/coupons/mcnuggets6pc/

Special offer for mcnuggets! 1 for 1!

Lol I'm craving for nuggets now man!!!!

• SRC Member

:cry2::sick: Sighs... There'll be some delay in the tank, cant do the scaping and cycling this weekend.... bf is sad, nuggets is sad... sianz...

prevention is better than cure! cos when it comes to a leaking tank.. there is no cure!

:cry2::sick: Sighs... There'll be some delay in the tank, cant do the scaping and cycling this weekend.... bf is sad, nuggets is sad... sianz...

just a couple of days... not weeks/ months....

take heart !

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

wah... 5 pages and still no tank photos!!??

But v :wub: :wub: :wub: thread

Let me help out, sneak pics of some of the goodies we bought over the past month...

post-16489-0-19021400-1323057123_thumb.j

post-16489-0-34438200-1323057133_thumb.j

post-16489-0-34733400-1323057138_thumb.j

Have not changed the RO filter in ages, and didn't want to mess up the place, so decided to go with this solution instead...

post-16489-0-92376000-1323057408_thumb.j

Images all taken with iPhone, too lazy to drag out the camera for now

Seems like bf is stealing the limelight of my thread now that he has exposed himself... :thumbdown:

Anyway, havent been updating my thread as we have been busy with the tank. Was supposed to come on the 25th but due to some slight hitches, it finally came last Wednesday... :groupwavereversed:

Immediately after the workers have completed the setup of the tank, we anxiously fill the tank with distilled water to test try for any leakage.... Bought 18 cartons of distilled water.... It was fun at first but opening 216 bottles is not a joke...

post-20148-0-37357600-1323066324_thumb.j

Thankfully, there was no leakage... The very next day, we added DD H20 Saltmix into the tank, till SG reaches around 1.025.

post-20148-0-69142700-1323066382_thumb.j

Water was cloudy... It was a worrying sight as bf said he has not experienced such cloudiness before even after we left it to settle for a day..

post-20148-0-04398900-1323066449_thumb.j

Fortunately the cloudiness starts clearing away after he turned on the setup (ie the filtration system)

The next day again, we decided it was time to fill the sandbed...

The first pack....

post-20148-0-19347200-1323066551_thumb.j

The second pack.... Water started to cloud again...

post-20148-0-44364000-1323066958_thumb.j

We added the clarifier that comes along with the sand to speeden the clarification process (It is not instant clarification alright, gotta wait for another one more day!!!)

post-20148-0-70622900-1323067362_thumb.j

post-20148-0-33769900-1323067407_thumb.j

Next post will be on the scaping of the live rocks from CF!! :superman: