Need some advice for nano tank

SaNjAy

Hi guys I would like to know what u guys think about this:

Let's say I'm starting a 1x1x1ft nano. To speed up the process I actually take water from a well established tank and fill it up. And then add my own live rocks.

Would u guys recommend this or rather the good old wait till its finished cycling method?

• SRC Member

if you're taking established live rock from your own tanks, then there would be nothing to cycle unless there is die off which should be extremely minimal seeing that you're just taking rocks out and putting them in another tank. to be safe you could wait it out alittle just like what allantang suggested, as long as ammonia still remains 0 i would say you're good to go.

• SRC Member

Hi guys I would like to know what u guys think about this:

Let's say I'm starting a 1x1x1ft nano. To speed up the process I actually take water from a well established tank and fill it up. And then add my own live rocks.

Would u guys recommend this or rather the good old wait till its finished cycling method?

Assuming the only things you put inside your new tank are the properly cured loverocks and established tank water, then there isn't much to cycle. You should still let it stabilize for a week or 2 as there are still new items in the equation - tank, pumps, filter media, etc...

Down side of using existing tank water is that you will bring whatever pathogens are in the water to your new tank. Bottom line is, a properly cycled tank will give you less problems in the long run.

Hope this helps.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

IME, I still had to go through the diatom phase, so I do not think it is worth the effort to try and "speed things up" when nature still needs to go through its course.

I second this. Using existing water and rocks will only help lessen the impact of the nitrogen cycle. But the diatom, dinoflagellate, cyanobacteria will likely be encountered until the tank matures.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

Read on coral mag that they actually dump into the main tank Cheato while cycling the tank so as nuisance algea won't happened they let the Cheato grow till it filled the whole tank. I find it interesting and can give it a try IMO

What do u guys think ?

Zac's Red Sea Reefer 170

Read on coral mag that they actually dump into the main tank Cheato while cycling the tank so as nuisance algea won't happened they let the Cheato grow till it filled the whole tank. I find it interesting and can give it a try IMO

What do u guys think ?

Should work in theory, faster growing algae like chaetomorpha can outcompete the unwanted hair/diatom algae for nutrients. The same principle is used for freshwater planted aquariums, it is advisable to grow faster growing plants in the beginning to outcompete nuisance algae when the tank is relatively new.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/