Nano Tank - 2ft

gnesnah

This is my 1 month old setup(also 1 month into this hobby) and hopefully it can take off and look as good as many of the fellow reefers nano tank here.

Equipments :

Tank 60x30x18cm

Gush mini inlet/outlet

Teco chiller 1/12hp

Eheim canister filter pro3 2073(600g biohome+ and nothing else)

TLF magnet glass cleaner

Maxspect 160w led lighting

Hydor Koralia nano wavemaker

Rocks and substrate :

4 pieces live rock from CF

3.5kgs aragonite live sand

Fishes and invertebrates :

1 true percula clownfish

1 azure damselfish

1 skunk cleaner shrimp

Corals :

Chilli Pepper Monti

African blue hornet zoas

Clementine zoas

post-20125-0-67124100-1324903252_thumb.j

post-20125-0-85075400-1324903268_thumb.j

• SRC Member

Nice setup.I am sure someone is guiding u behind by looking at the proportion of the equipment that u have.

I like the setup.

-Main Display Tank : 2ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft c/w sump tank cabinet (Set up by aquarium artist)

-Lightings : 4 sets of 1.5ft mini aqua lumen LED lights (7 high power led 15W)

-Chiller: 1/4HP artica chiller with a standby of HC-100A

-Skimmer : Bubble Magnus 3 (cone)

-Phosphate Reactor

-NP Bio-pellet D&D onceanic hang-on reactor

-Wavemaker : MP10

-Temperature mointor : American Wireless pinpoint thermometer

Nice setup.I am sure someone is guiding u behind by looking at the proportion of the equipment that u have.

I like the setup.

Thanks I like the setup also but don't have a nice tank full of corals yet unlike you. Read alot on the web that's about it...perhaps you could guide me.hehe.

Bro,

Not using any return pump?

water from tank to canister filter then to chiller & back to the tank again...?

No return pump. The canister filter flow rate is rated at 1050l/hr so it is tank->filter->chiller->tank and the flow from the outlet is pretty strong. I suppose I am not using any filter floss or sponge inside the canister that is why the flow rate is not inhibited. Think I don't need to open it up every week for maintenance. The filter is acting as the pump. Just 10-15pct water change every week to replenish trace elements.

• 1 month later...

Second month update :

First true perc jumped(rip), happened 4 weeks ago. Must be the damsel fish which I gave it back to the lfs.

Added a cherub angelfish and crocea clam yesterday. A pair of true perc today which is already hosting a torch coral.(couldn't resist)

Last picture is what I use to scoop the water surface gump once every 2 days. By the time I am finished it is easily over 1 ltr of water changed besides the weekly 15pct. Still having diatoms in my tank,

post-20125-0-45390000-1327752154_thumb.j

post-20125-0-94680900-1327752197_thumb.j

post-20125-0-84613500-1327752364_thumb.j

post-20125-0-68871400-1327752378_thumb.j

Hi bro,

You may wish to consider to include a surface skimmer. You can either modify the intake of the canister or you may add in a hang-on filter with surface skimming capability.

For the diatoms if you are using tapwater you may wish to consider changing to distilled water or RO/DI water. Your diatoms will go away by themselves after this change.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Hi bro,

You may wish to consider to include a surface skimmer. You can either modify the intake of the canister or you may add in a hang-on filter with surface skimming capability.

For the diatoms if you are using tapwater you may wish to consider changing to distilled water or RO/DI water. Your diatoms will go away by themselves after this change.

Probably will get a very small HOB filter with surface skimming.

I am using Life brand distilled water bought from NTUC. Diatoms is just unsightly and as you say will go away and I hope very soon.

Thanks bro for the valuable inputs.

hi bro, really really nice tank u got there :) always wanted a shallow tank for myself. anyways, dont worry about the diatoms. it'll go away once your water "matures" but it takes time. as for your canister filter, remember to do regular cleaning, if not, it'll contribute to high nitrate concentration. (like what happened to my tank when i was using a canister myself).

All in all, nice setup :)

The Best Way Is To Keep It Simple.

• SRC Member

from the shadows, the eggcrate seems to be blocking out quite a fair bit of light! especially since you're using led. perhaps you can consider doing a nicer (less conspicuous) cover using chicken wire etc to match your clean, rimless tank image ;)

hi bro, really really nice tank u got there :) always wanted a shallow tank for myself. anyways, dont worry about the diatoms. it'll go away once your water "matures" but it takes time. as for your canister filter, remember to do regular cleaning, if not, it'll contribute to high nitrate concentration. (like what happened to my tank when i was using a canister myself).

All in all, nice setup :)

Thank you. :)

The canister filter I had only opened it up once for cleaning which is after the cycle. I had filter floss in it during cycling and there is this micro bubbles spray from the outlet once in a while. Now I don't use any filter floss(wool) or sponge in the canister, just biohome. Is it still a nitrate factory since there is nothing to trap the dirt inside? It is just like a return pump with extra 7 ltr water added to the system.

from the shadows, the eggcrate seems to be blocking out quite a fair bit of light! especially since you're using led. perhaps you can consider doing a nicer (less conspicuous) cover using chicken wire etc to match your clean, rimless tank image ;)

Chicken wire is metal right? Will there be corrosion. Actually will monitor for a while if I will still need the cover on.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally diatom and algae has cleared for the past 2 days. Had a tuxedo sea urchin in there to help with the rock algae, very efficient and good to have if you do not have zoas in the tank. It pulled out a few zoa polyps to wear on it's top.

Added another piece of LR with 2 maxi mini anemone from CF today.

post-20125-0-86494800-1328966219_thumb.j

post-20125-0-04535400-1328966286_thumb.j

• SRC Member

Nice set-up. Like the all glass parts (inspired by Amano Nature Aquarium no doubt.

I am in the process of setting up a nano too - the last one cracked (too old a tank anyway).

After searching and much internal debate, I think I will go for T5 lighting - cheap and good. LED way too expensive for me, and I find the spectrum just a little odd (to my eye anyway). And MH just consumes too much energy and gives off too much heat.

I've gone for a 50cmx30cmx40cm (tall) tank. Main reason for tallness is I like to keep colt coral - they really add movement to the tank. And they tend to grow upwards.

I lost the male of my hybrid clown pair recently too. Now dunno what to do - can't simply buy replacement right?

T5 lighting you will have to change the tubes every 6 months right? I have a spare Maxspect Led G2 110W for $300 I bought used from the pasar malam, still under 9 months warranty if you are interested. For the clownfish don't know if you can buy one that is smaller than your current female and see if they can pair.

I will decom the 2ft in about 2-3 weeks. Ordered a 90x45x27cm 10mm thickness(increased in cost is exponential)together with cabinet today. Just because I bought the pair of true perc no choice got to go for a bigger tank, or maybe I want to put more corals, instead of getting a separate tank for them. Better to just concentrate on a single tank. Will be using back same equipment and probably will add a Tunze 9002 skimmer or nano reefpack 200 if they are still available. And also a Ecotech MP10es would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Well received my tank and wasn't too please with the silicon finishing and glass alignment. Cabinet left side door is 3mm higher than the right. Requested for a white oyama sticker for the base(going bare bottom) and it came with many small bubbles that showed up as black. So I redo the white sticker and had one edge contact the floor whilst lifting resulting in a small crack. All in all the experience with the new purchase wasn't quite what I expected unlike the previous one.

Anyway just an update after the live stocks transfer this morning.

post-20125-0-63091500-1330783623_thumb.j

post-20125-0-98839400-1330783810_thumb.j

post-20125-0-96507700-1330783866_thumb.j

• SRC Member

Feel for ya.

For the door. U can just adjust the hinges. For the higher side, tighten the screw on the top hinge. It should move the door downwards.

As for the sticker on base, I won't stick a white sticker. Reason being u should have a white styrofoam base. That should suffice to reflect some light

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I tried, will try again to adjust the left door hinge. It's those really cheap hinges and door slam shut with a bang. If I had known I would provide them those anti slam type which can be bought from Ikea from my own pocket. I like the white base instead of transparent with light bouncing off the bottom, easier to see dirt and algae also which I can siphon and clean.

Actually the previous 2ft looks really neat, but the 2 percs will outgrow it.

• SRC Member

From my understanding,he had decomn his shallow tank and upgrade to a bigger tank

-Main Display Tank : 2ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft c/w sump tank cabinet (Set up by aquarium artist)

-Lightings : 4 sets of 1.5ft mini aqua lumen LED lights (7 high power led 15W)

-Chiller: 1/4HP artica chiller with a standby of HC-100A

-Skimmer : Bubble Magnus 3 (cone)

-Phosphate Reactor

-NP Bio-pellet D&D onceanic hang-on reactor

-Wavemaker : MP10

-Temperature mointor : American Wireless pinpoint thermometer