Sump tank

I had a sump that separates by 03 compartments. Can any good people advice locations to skimmer and planted mangroves? My opinion (pls correct me if I'm wrong) to place some liverocks together with mangroves in the middled compartment and skimmer with the return pump. Will I acheive quality cycling if items are placed in such pattern? I need your advice(s).

Thanks bro... :rolleyes:

I share knowledge, interest & passion in reefing.. NOT by showing them off...

• SRC Member

For skimmer placement, the water level in the compartment has to be absolutely constant in spite of water evaporation. So typically, it's the 2nd compartment.

Many older 1st compartments are designed for filter wool, with wet-dry media below. That can take up quite a bit of space. If you plan to convert to using filter sock, removing the baffle between the 1st two compartment can free up quite a bit of space if you need it to fit in a bigger skimmer.

You can fit a few stalks of mangroves onto a floating piece of Styrofoam in the last compartment.

:rolleyes:

For skimmer placement, the water level in the compartment has to be absolutely constant in spite of water evaporation. So typically, it's the 2nd compartment.

Many older 1st compartments are designed for filter wool, with wet-dry media below. That can take up quite a bit of space. If you plan to convert to using filter sock, removing the baffle between the 1st two compartment can free up quite a bit of space if you need it to fit in a bigger skimmer.

You can fit a few stalks of mangroves onto a floating piece of Styrofoam in the last compartment.

Many thanks bro. Appreciate your kindness to reply. I shall heed the advice. By the way, what kindda of mangroves can I adopt? Should I apply lights to these mangroves? :ThanxSmiley:

I share knowledge, interest & passion in reefing.. NOT by showing them off...

Guys im a bit lost bout the mangrove.

Bro Tunicate, i cant visualize when u said floating on styrofoam?

Can explain more or any useful link?

Mine sump is two compartment for 3 ft.

Current set up, 1) for filters, media

2) skimmer and return pump.

Btw im keeping Fowlr.

Thanks

:rolleyes:

Many thanks bro. Appreciate your kindness to reply. I shall heed the advice. By the way, what kindda of mangroves can I adopt? Should I apply lights to these mangroves? :ThanxSmiley:

Yes you must apply light to the mangroves, as they are above water level and will continue to grow, please ensure that they have sufficient growing space before you decide how far your light stretch should be.

Plaase note that mangrove need cleaning of the leaves with fresh water weekly or biweekly, do ensure your do that to remove excess salt from them.

Guys im a bit lost bout the mangrove.

Bro Tunicate, i cant visualize when u said floating on styrofoam?

Can explain more or any useful link?

Mine sump is two compartment for 3 ft.

Current set up, 1) for filters, media

2) skimmer and return pump.

Btw im keeping Fowlr.

Thanks

The main prupose of a floating styrofoam is to ensure that the mangrove is able to stand. By poking holes just nice for the mangroves to be slotted in, the root will be submerged into the water and the leaves/top part must be out of the water. Do ensure ample lighting are given.