Lighting Requirement/Intensity for your tank?

Just happen to wonder, Cos everyone using different type of lightings (LED, MH, T5, etc),

How do u know if its bright enough? What do u base on? Let say u using LED? Lumen, lux, wattage or PAR? Is there anyway to calculate or just by seeing from the tank base o one's experience? I hope someone can guide me on this.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Just happen to wonder, Cos everyone using different type of lightings (LED, MH, T5, etc),

How do u know if its bright enough? What do u base on? Let say u using LED? Lumen, lux, wattage or PAR? Is there anyway to calculate or just by seeing from the tank base o one's experience? I hope someone can guide me on this.

Get a light meter from Sim Lim Tower. It should let u know whether ur lighting is adequate or observe how ur charges r doing over a period of time. Otherwise, pay the price n trust the recom of the marine outlets.

• Like 1

A light meter will give you lux reading .

A PAR meter is more accurate which give you the PAR

reading for photosythesis.

But it is very exp as compare to a lux meter.

So the cheapest is to trust the spec from the manufacturer

or review other user feedback

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Get a light meter from Sim Lim Tower. It should let u know whether ur lighting is adequate or observe how ur charges r doing over a period of time. Otherwise, pay the price n trust the recom of the marine outlets.

Thanks for the advise, guys. :ThanxSmiley:

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi bro, i bought a 4-tube T5 set(24w 12,000K x 4) for my 2ft tank. Is that sufficient?

How many of the white tubes should I convert to Actinic? And which type/brand of Actinic do you recommend?

Kamsiah.

Hi bro, i bought a 4-tube T5 set(24w 12,000K x 4) for my 2ft tank. Is that sufficient?

How many of the white tubes should I convert to Actinic? And which type/brand of Actinic do you recommend?

Kamsiah.

Usually depends on what corals u keeping. If keeping sps, u shd double ur lights. For lps, it shd be good enough. 2 to 4 actinic if u want to bring out the colors of ur corals. :friends:

• SRC Member

Kamsiah.

My 2 feet tank has 8 tubes of T5 24w. :eyeblur:

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

do we need to turn on the light 24/7 is there a recommendation how long the lights should be switch on and etc on a daily basis?

for LPS and SPS

8-12hrs. Always try to mimic nature.

• SRC Member

do we need to turn on the light 24/7 is there a recommendation how long the lights should be switch on and etc on a daily basis?

for LPS and SPS

I turn on 9am till i go sleep... zz abt 11pm to 1am..

They follow me same time to bed.. :rolleyes:

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

aah thanks.... mimic nature seems to be a very adaptable word to use in this hobby...

If u on your lights more than 12 hrs, it will encourage the growth of nuisance algae.

If u on your lights more than 12 hrs, it will encourage the growth of nuisance algae.

Are there specific lights say in order of "catalyst" effect blue then red then white which will encourage more algae growth?

because when i have 6 tubes of lights i will need to know say 4 blue 1 red and 1 white is a good combi or...?

Are there specific lights say in order of "catalyst" effect blue then red then white which will encourage more algae growth?

because when i have 6 tubes of lights i will need to know say 4 blue 1 red and 1 white is a good combi or...?

I read in somewhere red light induce more algae growth than others. Usually most reefers uses white and blue with actinic only.