Anemone disappeared? eaten up?

arcanehacker

• SRC Member

Ok.. yesterday I bought 2 little cute anemone. Its those common type one. About 1.5cm in size.

This morning, I can't seem to find it anymore :( .. it seems to have disintegrated in the tank.. Can't be dead and in my filter coz mine is the hook on tank kind (eheim liberty 150) and the filter hole is too small for those anemone.

I tried looking around the tank and LRs but no :cry: . Is it eaten or something? ...

My live stock:

- Lionfish (highly impossible coz it only eats guppies.. very picky)

- Bicolour Dottyback (might be but still I doubt so)

- Big Fire Shrimp (doubt so too)

- Camel Shrimp

- Scarlet Shrimp

- Lobster..shrimp.. (still not sure if its a shrimp or lobster. Its those purple with dark purple dots)

- Found a Crab in my sponge yesterday. Is it the culprit? (very small one which I seen picking on LRs only.) :erm:

- Seahare (it eats sponge and algae but.....hope not)

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

have they found a hole and hide inside....???

I have seen nig ones doing so...but easy to find as they are too big to squeeze inside totally!!!! :lol:

• SRC Member
have they found a hole and hide inside....???

I have seen nig ones doing so...but easy to find as they are too big to squeeze inside totally!!!! :lol:

oh isit? :heh: .. I really hope so.. but why? They like dark places? ... :erm:

BTW do they have any predators? ..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member
They are probably hiding among the rocks... hard to locate them especially when they curl up like a ball....

They might also bury themselves into the sand... mine did it often when I had one previously... happy hunting....

damn it.. they look so cute and they just hide behind some rocks or insides holes.. <_< ... I dun think they'll hide under sand.. mine's not fine sand but coral sand.. they'll have a hard time digging.. :P

• SRC Member
err... I always have the impression that Anemone likes bright light. ..any reason why these are hidding?

I have no idea... I found one yesterday under a LR, in the shade. Still can't find one more..

Funny thing is that it seems to be opening.. unless run over by my shrimps.. <_<

I too have the impression that anemones like lights.. well...

• Sponsor

Well, if you are sure it has not disintegrated, then it must be deflated and in some crevice somewhere. Anemones deflat to expel "dirty" water and that brownish slime from their insides periodically. They have the habit of roaming around and have a liking for strong current, especially pump outlets. They move around by detaching their base and simply float in the current... that sometimes lead to their base or tentacles getting stuck in pump inlets and they get disintegrated alive :yeah:

Some species however, move less..eg like the sand anemones, tube anemones and carpets...tend to stick to the sand bed. Those with purple or red backsides(bubble or sabae species) roam around more and reach out for the light from some tight contorted position in a crevice in the LR.

Monitor the conditions of your tank...if the fellow is dead and disintegrates it fouls and collaspes the system...and the floating stings(nematocysts) can still sting your fishes when they dislodge and float in the water.

• Sponsor

Oh forgot... :huh: anemones have predators, butterfly fishes eat them and munch on the stinging tentacles for snacks....some slugs(nudibranchs) eat them to get their stings. Give anemones enough light, try PL or higher intensity FL and you can give them supplemental feeding...I use a long wooden chopsticks and stuff a little piece of frozen or freezedried prawn into their mouths once a week to keep them happy :)