Lion not eating...

• SRC Member

they could have been caught by cynide... however, Lions are known to go for days without food..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
is it stress?

might be.. coz my lion always refused to eat when I disturb the water, or change water. It might be stressed coz when I change water in my 1 feet, every inhabitant in the tank will know.

Only bold LS which is not stressed is my Fire Shrimp.. hehe.. it cleans my hands though.. :D

Back to the point. Dun worry too much.. leave it for a while. Let the guppies or mollies swim in there. Let the food die in there and then change another one .. try not to disturb the water too much...

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• Sponsor

Hi there, so sad to hear that the fellow is not feeding... :( If the live ghost shrimps don't work...the fish is in trouble....I have to agree with kelstorm that the lionfish could have been caught by cyanide, as a retailer, I have cut orders for them whenever the suppliers are suspected of cyanide use.

How to tell...this is what I think you should look out for before buying one...DO NOT BUY IF...

Look at the eyes, are they blurr when they should be clear :rolleyes:

They cling to the sides of the tank all the time, even when the net comes near. Cyanide has affected their nervous response, too weak to care. They should be repositioning themselves to strike with their spines

Got white faeces clinging to their backsides--liver failure

Got a bulging full stomach when the rest of the body looks emaciated--internal organs damaged and inflammed

Hope these info are useful :P

• SRC Member

boy am i glad to see LFS owners taking steps to cut off orders from fishermen who uses cynide... well done eaquarist....

one thing for sure, u will get my biz... :D

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Hi there, so sad to hear that the fellow is not feeding... :( If the live ghost shrimps don't work...the fish is in trouble....I have to agree with kelstorm that the lionfish could have been caught by cyanide, as a retailer, I have cut orders for them whenever the suppliers are suspected of cyanide use.

How to tell...this is what I think you should look out for before buying one...DO NOT BUY IF...

Look at the eyes, are they blurr when they should be clear :rolleyes:

They cling to the sides of the tank all the time, even when the net comes near. Cyanide has affected their nervous response, too weak to care. They should be repositioning themselves to strike with their spines

Got white faeces clinging to their backsides--liver failure

Got a bulging full stomach when the rest of the body looks emaciated--internal organs damaged and inflammed

Hope these info are useful :P

thumbs up for your actions! :D :D

anyway, won't cynide kill the fish before they reach display tanks?

does reminance cynide damage the marine environment when they are used? how?

• SRC Member

cynide will only stun the fish so that its reactions are slower and easier to be captured. The fishes caught in this manner wun die but their internal organs are damaged and will not live for long.

When the divers squirt cynide into the reefs, cynide will kill off the living organism, which results in a slow death for the reef.

Give it sometime dude. I had a dwarf which refuses to eat for more than a week:) Eventually, it gave in and has been living well with another caretaker since. Take it easy, give it time. Patience.

haIZZZ..

juz came back fm work , same to say , its dead .......

its sad n frustrating .....dun understand y it died....i was speaking to some fellow SRC members n they thibk its becoz its been starve 2 long at LFS ....sad ..sad

Tink 2molo will head dwn 2 SL to see whether got any other lions ....

anyway thanks guys!

• SRC Member
isit true that small lion fish are harder to keep? if its true...u might want to try bigger ones?

I think that is a general statement for any fish (or pets). Adults are usually more adaptable and resistant to changes.

S Tiger

How long has your lion been with you? It is not uncommon for a lion to stay away from food (due to stress whatsoever) for more than 1 week, as mentioned by Angry.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had very bad experience with the livestocks purchased from the shop where you got your lion. Very low survival rates for the fishes, corals and other inverts....appear ok at the point of purchase but deteriorate very quickly once introduced into the tank. I saw a new batch of lions at SL just a couple of days ago and they seem to be in pretty good condition. SL is usually the place where I go to get marine fish...although the prices may be a little higher than other places, the slight premium is still acceptable as what I bought from them have so far thrived in my setup. The shopkeeper is also more than willing to show you upon request whether the fish is feeding before u purchase it.

• SRC Member

Just to share my experience with my lion fish. They are fantastic fish very easy to keep. I bought 2 at re_ _ _n and they are very well in my tank 2 inches in size. MIne is those redish and blakish stripes I think its a antennata or something? :blink:

When feeding they wont eat dead food it needs those live one, they luv brine shrimp, and those 2 dollar feeder shrimp that you nor feed loahan man they luv them and sometimes I feed them catfish.

Now they are doing well in my tank.. Im looking for those blakish colour they but difficult to find a small one. Cause I notice when you feed them evryday with live food they can grow very fast...

So far I never see them trying to sting me everytime my hands inside the tank cause I always move around thing. so far so good

• SRC Member
isit true that small lion fish are harder to keep? if its true...u might want to try bigger ones?

Small(young) lions are easier to wean and adapt to your tank environment compared to the bigger(older) boys. Young lions need places like caves where they can hide so be prepared when scaping your tank. As they get bigger, they will inevitably get bolder and will prefer the open water more. Diet for the younger lions need to be more "religious" to ensure proper growth and life cycle and one thing to take note, they do grow damn fast especially with volitans.