UGF or DIY Filter?

moscowites

Hey all.

I was recommended by a LFS to utilize UGF for my 2 feet tank. Water gets sucked up by a HOB filter and discarded back down. However, after reading a lot online, many people have been condemning UGF as obsolete and offers more cons than pros.

After much consideration, I don't know whether or not to DIY my own integrated filter. My plan is to use acrylic to form a box at the back of the tank which will integrate my filter system. The filter system will work somewhat like the filter for the Dymax IQ5 pico tank (for those who know what I mean). Instead, I will use 2 650 powerheads to pump water out from the filter and back into the tank.

Apologies for the description. Please advise.

Thanks!

• SRC Member

OK, the next best thing is probably a customized IOS tank.

(1) Figure out what's the maximum tank size you can fit in.

(2) Come up with a list of filtration media & equipment you're planning to have.

(3) Use info in (2) to size up your IOS partition.

You'll have a pretty good idea how your tank will look like after completing step (3).

Draw out your tank specs(with measurement), or make a small model out of cardboard for your tank maker.

• Like 1