Ich on blue tang!

moscowites

Hey all,

My blue tang has ich however, it would be almost impossible to get him out of my 2 feet tank due to corals and live rock. What should I do? I have clams, crabs and shrimps in my tank as well so I don't think I can use any form of medication rite?

Please advise!

I used to have that problem. Then I got myself a fire shrimp n skunk cleaner shrimp plus a UV filter and it got her healed.

My 1.5ft Nano tank

Equipment: Sump with chaeto, hydor nano wavemakers, Maxspect 60W LED, return pump Rio 12HF

Livestock: 2xMaroon Clown, Yellow Watchman Goby, Algae Blenny, six-line wrasse, Fire & Skunk Shrimp, turbo snails, hermit crabs.

Corals: Zoas, Rics, Hammer, Blue & Green Starpolyps.

• SRC Member

a doc wrasse is also good. you can literally see the doctor fish picking the white spot off the body of the fish.. that is if your fish allows doctor to inspect.

i also do more frequent water change. i noticed that using salt mix reduces the white spot for a couple of days before it comes back.. maybe its just me.

if you dont have sps, try lowering the salinity of the water SLOWLY.. 1.20 to 1.21.

(click to see my tank thread)

Skimmer : Deltec SC2560

Chiller : Sanyo 1HP Compressor with copper coil

Lighting : Ecotech Radion XR30w x 3 + 5 ft ATI power module 4 tubes

Dosing - Bubble magnus 7 channel

Main pump - reef octopus 7000

FR : Skimz phosphate reactor + FR45 Biopellet reactor

Wavemaker - Vortech 3X MP40W + 1 x sun sun

Thanks for all the advice bros! The ich has now spread to my purple tang! They are not showing any signs of stress though

Still swimmig around and eating well. My blue tang tends to hang around the back of my wave maker. Doesnt really swim as much conpared to the purple

• SRC Member

As long as they keep eating, there is hope. Once they stop eating and start hiding.. Chances are slim.

Forgot to add that I also add garlic extract to their pellets and mysis to boost their immunity when my tangs having ich breakout.

U can get from Henry at marine life.

Ich is back again bros. Tried dropping the salinity and mixing garlic extract to my frozen brine. Ich went away for a couple of days but its back and this time even my sailfin tang has it. What should i do?

Dropping the salinity will stress and kill the corals. The best is take the fishes out to the QT and did the treatment in the QT.

• SRC Member

tangs are commonly known as ich magnets.. everything seems to trigger an ich outbreak with tangs..

expect the ich to spread to the rest of the community before it peak out and subside.. so dont add anymore fishes and do more frequent water change in the meantime.

but as long as they are eating and active, high chance they will survive.

this is a good read:

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/ichthyophthirius

Does it mean fishes with white spot can be ignored with treatment?

nothing much we can do if in main tank already rite.. not ignored lah, just monitor and cross finger.

i drop salinity a little (from 1.025 to 1.021 thereabouts) and some may not agree.. but it works for me and sps survived.

and no new fishes till ich disappears.

Update: Purple Tang passed away. Sigh.. Was wondering if whether it had anything to do with water. I checked parameters and everything seems fine.. or at least the test strip indicates that everything is "fine" and within acceptable conditions. Should I use salt mix or continue getting NSW from Ah Beng?

• SRC Member

Update: Purple Tang passed away. Sigh.. Was wondering if whether it had anything to do with water. I checked parameters and everything seems fine.. or at least the test strip indicates that everything is "fine" and within acceptable conditions. Should I use salt mix or continue getting NSW from Ah Beng?

sorry to hear that... :rip:

i was told by aquamarin theres a medication cal kick ich

tats efective anyone used before

I have a bottle of Kick Ich to give away. If you want you. an pick up from me at AMK. I brought from AquaMarin but only used 1 time prior to that I was using aquapharm ich cure. However, it is not advisable to mix two difference medication at the same time.

I learnt my lesson too and the conclusion is that water change is a better option to naturally reduces the chances of getting ich. Dosing of good bb is important !

• SRC Member

really sorry to hear that... i feel your pain.

take a break and let your tank recover first.

• SRC Member

Hey bro, I share your sentiments. My tank is quite mature already, and have not made any new additions. But recently, suddenly my BT get itch. Was still eating very strong so I just thought it will survive. In 2 days, all got itch, quite fast - pair clowns, spot blenny, even my mandarin was acting weird (they don't get itch right?). I slowly tried doing little water changes. Within 3 more days, 1 BT, 1 clown, 1 mandarin, and blenny died. The other clown was strong, but after the pair passed away, suddenly look lonely and always in the spot where the other one laid when it died, stopped eating also :( after 2 days, also passed away. It's good that my other BT started eating strong again, and now seems fully recovered. Only one fish not affected, green clown goby. All LS with me for at least 1.5-2 years already .... now making sure system is really stable before any additions. My couple's tank now lonely singles tank .... :rip:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

i used to buy water direct from the fish farms to do my water change. There was 0nce after water change, a couple of my fishes died.

For the past two years, i started buying salt and making my own salt water for change instead. There have been no problem ever since

with the fishes.

• 4 months later...

Hi... Its always sad to hear fishes gone one by one... I have the same problem also... Tried tangs many times, and all succumbed to ich... So i refrained myself from getting tangs, they are notorious ich magnets! That was about six months ago... Finally i decided to try tangs again after adding Uv steriliser 3months ago and now my tank is around 1 year old. So i bought a hawaiian yellow tank and a powder blue tang last week, all these while praying the ich wont attack... Sigh... Yesterday, my pbt started developing ich... And thru my experience, it wont make it pass this week... My hyt seems fine, no ich, so are the rest of my other fishes. I am really sad and disheartened the moment the ich show up on my pbt... It was healthy and swimming and eating tons of seaweed. I dropped my salinity level to 1.021 from 1.024 yesterday and prayed... This morning theres seems to be more white spots on my pbt... Really desperate to save him, please help!!!!!! I am thinking about trying out this kickich, where can i buy it? I have a frogspawn, maxima clam, leather coral and two bubbletips... Is it safe for me to use kickich??? Please advice, thanks

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino

• SRC Member

Hi... Its always sad to hear fishes gone one by one... I have the same problem also... Tried tangs many times, and all succumbed to ich... So i refrained myself from getting tangs, they are notorious ich magnets! That was about six months ago... Finally i decided to try tangs again after adding Uv steriliser 3months ago and now my tank is around 1 year old. So i bought a hawaiian yellow tank and a powder blue tang last week, all these while praying the ich wont attack... Sigh... Yesterday, my pbt started developing ich... And thru my experience, it wont make it pass this week... My hyt seems fine, no ich, so are the rest of my other fishes. I am really sad and disheartened the moment the ich show up on my pbt... It was healthy and swimming and eating tons of seaweed. I dropped my salinity level to 1.021 from 1.024 yesterday and prayed... This morning theres seems to be more white spots on my pbt... Really desperate to save him, please help!!!!!! I am thinking about trying out this kickich, where can i buy it? I have a frogspawn, maxima clam, leather coral and two bubbletips... Is it safe for me to use kickich??? Please advice, thanks

you can't pour kickich into your DT..its not reef safe. Remove ur tangs and qt them individually

Hi... Sadly i dun have extra space for a qt tank... So thats out of the question. I have ditched the kickich idea as i had a bad experience with medications... Ok, i have chance upon and forum someone was using ginger to treat ich and with promising results. So yesterday i started soaking nori in freshly grated ginger juice and my pbt gooble it up instantly... I figure ginger is way better than any chemicals since is natural and has many therapuetic effects. I dun have to tear down my tank to get the tang, dose dangerous chemicals, subject fish to hyposalinity stress... And its cheap :0)...Sounds logical to me. I observed the tank for awhile and have not seen any stress on any ls, be it coral, fish, and inverts. So im gonna go hm later and check hows the progress on my pbt. As of yesterday, he is swimming ard, eating tons of green, brown, red seaweeds, not very interested in pellets or frozens though... Btw, he is about 10% covered in ich white spots for 5 days. Will post the results if anybody interested....

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino