What do u put in your Overflow box?

Just wondering what do most reefers put in their overflow box before going down to your sump compartment? There's a lot mentioned about what is put inside sump but seldom ppl talk about what's in their overflow. For me, I just put some liverocks, bioballs & filter wool.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

I would keep it empty, reason being, most overflow are built to drain water from the top from a pipe. Hence by placing things in there, it stales up the water at the bottom.

Maybe others have different takes.

(null)

FOWLR Tank : 48"x24"x30"

Sump: 36"x18"x20"

Return Pump : Rio 32HF

Skimmer: Reef Octopus DNW-110

Lighting: 150W MH

Ok, any other views from others, pls share, thank you.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

I would keep it empty, reason being, most overflow are built to drain water from the top from a pipe. Hence by placing things in there, it stales up the water at the bottom.

Maybe others have different takes.

If u dun put anything in your overflow, wouldn't it be very noisy with all the water flowing & splashing down to the sump? Do u do any buffering to reduce the noise?

If u dun put anything in your overflow, wouldn't it be very noisy with all the water flowing & splashing down to the sump? Do u do any buffering to reduce the noise?

As mentioned, most prefer to keep overflow box clean as placing LRs and stuffs in there will create a low oxygenated water at the bottom half of the overflow box.

Noisy overflow can be tuned if you have a this will greatly reduce the noisy and splashes.

Hope that helps.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

As mentioned, most prefer to keep overflow box clean as placing LRs and stuffs in there will create a low oxygenated water at the bottom half of the overflow box.

Noisy overflow can be tuned if you have a this will greatly reduce the noisy and splashes.

Hope that helps.

OIC, another knowledge gained, thanks. Dun think mine has one cos I rem mine was quite noisy, that's why I put all the stuff in there to reduce the splashing.

Reading from your signature, I believe you are using the IOS tank from CR Aquarium, did you modify it with a overflow with sump? You can speak with Vincent (Aquarium Artist) to add a durso for you or DIY one yourself.

;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Not really, the CR tank actually came with a external sump, but I removed it with Vincent's help and added in his designed sump to increase the size.

If Vincent can help, maybe I can ask him to install one for me. Thanks again. :yahoo:

I put bio- ball. So far no problem.

Need to clean once in awhile if not will collect detritus.

• 1 year later...

Hi fellow reefers i too facing the same problem except that mine the noise is from the overflow pipe....tried alot of things to muffle the gurgling sound but to no avail....any ideas from fellow seniors alternatives or solutions besides changing to durso stand pipe.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Very easy n cheap

Yeah I just did the same thing. The gurgling noise was unbearable especially at night when u head of to bed! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.